Captain's challenge to be trialled Rd 26

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If it makes the ref grow some gooleys and make a decision then I'm happy.
And it did so to me it worked.
Now it will be tinkered with until.....
It doesn't !!

They said that the big screen weren't showing any replays....so it didn't help the captains make their decisions whether to challenge or not. Captains get 20 seconds to make their decision. the idea was kinda to let the captains see a replay to be able to make a decision.

Probably a glitch but fmd the nrl are amateurs.

Also...seems the game was decided on a dodgy penalty. Attacking player milked a penalty by deliberately playing the ball on the defenceman's foot.

Hmm... would be nice if a captain could at least challenge that.

Again, the nrl have an amazing ability to take a simple and good idea and stuff it up. If I hadn't run out of tin foil, I'd suggest they want to keep a high element of subjectivity in the game to assist them in their own agendas.

I didn't see the game but heard a lot of it in the radio. It seemed like the tries were not really in question strangely.

I wonder if KFC will pull their sponsorship now they get less "try/no try" airtime?

They said that the big screen weren't showing any replays....so it didn't help the captains make their decisions whether to challenge or not. Captains get 20 seconds to make their decision. the idea was kinda to let the captains see a replay to be able to make a decision.

Probably a glitch but fmd the nrl are amateurs.

Also...seems the game was decided on a dodgy penalty. Attacking player milked a penalty by deliberately playing the ball on the defenceman's foot.

Hmm... would be nice if a captain could at least challenge that.

Again, the nrl have an amazing ability to take a simple and good idea and stuff it up. If I hadn't run out of tin foil, I'd suggest they want to keep a high element of subjectivity in the game to assist them in their own agendas.
Actually Global the system is set up so the captains cannot see the replay hence the 20 second blackout. The NRL is a bunch of amateurs for sure but there was no glitch this time.

Actually Global the system is set up so the captains cannot see the replay hence the 20 second blackout. The NRL is a bunch of amateurs for sure but there was no glitch this time.

Ahh, ok. who'd have thought the newspaper would report something wrong????

According to Sterlo and Ray Hardleeeeeeee on Nein tonight a captains challenge can be used as many times as they like during a game so long as its successful. But if you challenge something 5 minutes into the game and its dismissed, that's it, no more for the game.
Your challenge resets each half and also resets in the last 5 minutes of matches. So you are only out of challenges for the remainder of the first half if you are unsuccessful. The same applies in the second half except another reset occurs with five to go. Extra time also allows for an extra challenge.

Agree.

From nrl.com

...The referee will be required to make a decision on the field and it will only be reviewed by the bunker if a challenge is made....

It seems weird that the nrl have spent all this money on a bunker system, and have now basically said to the refs....don't use it!

Refs (in the trial game) are forced to make a decision and only then if the captain thinks there may be a mistake will it get sent upstairs!!

How much time do they have to send it upstairs? Cricket has 15 seconds I think. Is that enough time for a captain to talk to his players in a better position?

Lets face it...looking at any game, whenever there is a try scored the defending team all rush the ref bleating about something or other (fibbers mainly.)

This is a backdoor way of the nrl trying to force people involved in the game to accept the refs decision. ie "Well if you thought it was a no try...why didn't you challenge it?" - It is such a load of baloney when the captain can't use the bunker info to make his challenge or not.

All this will do (if used full time) is highlight the mistakes refs make. If they don't use the bunker....you can be sure the broadcasters will show replays of refs mistakes more times then 'your' and 'you're' are used incorrectly on here!

If the nrl want to tinker with this I can't see why:

If the refs make a try/no try call then the captain has the option challenge this call.

If refs have no idea...send it to the bunker without any of this...'duh i think it is a try/no try but check it please.' - and remove this "evidence to overrule" farce.

Also...limited to tries only? How does that help....say Manly in 2013 when a roster deliberately plays at the ball with his leg, kicks it out.....and yet roosters get the feed?

The level of incompetence of the nrl is, I'm sure, one of many reasons most people follow another sport or three!
YOUR wrong. Loose and lose is much worserer on here

I didn't see the game but heard a lot of it in the radio. It seemed like the tries were not really in question strangely.

I wonder if KFC will pull their sponsorship now they get less "try/no try" airtime?
That is the thing that could sink it - the bunker is KFC time over and over again. I was surprised they were willing to go away from that given the sponsorship. I hope they stick with the challenge - just don't limit it to tries only.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6