Captain's challenge to be trialled Rd 26

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mitch

Bencher
I love the idea of a captain's challenge, but in what world is it sensible to introduce a completely foreign process (which will only be first trialled this weekend within an NRL match), in to your finals series? They are asking for controversy.

Media outlets now backtracking to say it WON'T be used in the finals series as first thought.

Smart decision, certainly see a place for it in future, although the more that is introduced to the game the more things become complicated.

The irony of the captains challenge is that if you think the on field ref got it wrong they go to the bunker to adjudicate - on more than a few occasions they've shown to have NFI too.

Is there another challenge if you think the bunker is wrong too?

But unfortunately it's only on tries. The most scrutinised plays in the game anyway.
What about obvious strips, missed opposition contact on the ball, and a pass in the 2013 Grand Final that was so far forward it had snow from the 2014 winter on it.
That's when a captain's challenge is needed.

Last edited:
According to Sterlo and Ray Hardleeeeeeee on Nein tonight a captains challenge can be used as many times as they like during a game so long as its successful. But if you challenge something 5 minutes into the game and its dismissed, that's it, no more for the game.

The irony of the captains challenge is that if you think the on field ref got it wrong they go to the bunker to adjudicate - on more than a few occasions they've shown to have NFI too.

Is there another challenge if you think the bunker is wrong too?

Agree.

From nrl.com

...The referee will be required to make a decision on the field and it will only be reviewed by the bunker if a challenge is made....

It seems weird that the nrl have spent all this money on a bunker system, and have now basically said to the refs....don't use it!

Refs (in the trial game) are forced to make a decision and only then if the captain thinks there may be a mistake will it get sent upstairs!!

How much time do they have to send it upstairs? Cricket has 15 seconds I think. Is that enough time for a captain to talk to his players in a better position?

Lets face it...looking at any game, whenever there is a try scored the defending team all rush the ref bleating about something or other (fibbers mainly.)

This is a backdoor way of the nrl trying to force people involved in the game to accept the refs decision. ie "Well if you thought it was a no try...why didn't you challenge it?" - It is such a load of baloney when the captain can't use the bunker info to make his challenge or not.

All this will do (if used full time) is highlight the mistakes refs make. If they don't use the bunker....you can be sure the broadcasters will show replays of refs mistakes more times then 'your' and 'you're' are used incorrectly on here!

If the nrl want to tinker with this I can't see why:

If the refs make a try/no try call then the captain has the option challenge this call.

If refs have no idea...send it to the bunker without any of this...'duh i think it is a try/no try but check it please.' - and remove this "evidence to overrule" farce.

Also...limited to tries only? How does that help....say Manly in 2013 when a roster deliberately plays at the ball with his leg, kicks it out.....and yet roosters get the feed?

The level of incompetence of the nrl is, I'm sure, one of many reasons most people follow another sport or three!

Stupid idea!!! The way I see it is they've forked out all this money for the bunker, lets get it right!!
The only thing that needs to happen or be trialled, is don't make the on field ref make a decision. If he has no idea, let him tell the video ref that.

Media reaction to the treatment of cameron smith last week. After being penalised twice by a ref who lost his script the league had no pption to introduce a rule where cameron could have these overturned just in case a ref forgot his lines in future

After all the league is looking for consistency to please the fans

Stupid idea!!! The way I see it is they've forked out all this money for the bunker, lets get it right!!
The only thing that needs to happen or be trialled, is don't make the on field ref make a decision. If he has no idea, let him tell the video ref that.
But what decision does the bunker make if they can't tell from the footage,like a Lewis Brown try early in the season?

The more I think about it the more I think this could be a great idea.

1: Want faster decisions? On field ref HAS to make a call.
2: Disagree with it? Challenge it, but make sure you have a case!
3: Challenged it the wrong way? Shut your mouth until the second half.

I'll be watching the Dragoons Knights game with an eagle eye! Plus I think the Knights will get a win!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6