Cap won't fit Manly's wingers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Cap won't fit Manly's wingers

Exclusive by Dean Ritchie | November 18, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24667155-5006066,00.html

Tough decision...Manly say wingers David Williams and Michael Robertson won't both fit under the salary cap. / The Daily Telegraph
PREMIERS Manly are preparing to make the gut-wrenching decision to sack one of their Grand Final wing heroes -David Williams or three-try standout Michael Robertson.

Salary cap restrictions will prevent the Sea Eagles from paying Williams and Robertson the $200,000 a season they are asking when their contracts expire.

"Wolfman" Williams - one of the great characters of Manly's run to the title - is on the verge of a call-up to Australia's World Cup final side and Robertson scored three tries in Manly's historic Grand Final win last month.

Yet in a decision that will come as a shock to the Sea Eagles faithful, it seems only one of the pair will be in maroon and white by 2010.

World Cup final: Williams on standby for injured Tate

Both wingers are off contract after next season and are asking for about $200,000 a season - a huge increase for Williams, now on a modest base salary of $50,000 plus bonuses.

Sources close to Manly say the club simply cannot afford to pay $400,000 for two wingers.

Williams and Robertson join Matt Orford, Heath L'Estrange and Glenn Hall as players coming off contract after 2009.

Player managers Steve Gillis, for Robertson, and David Riolo, for Williams, have already met Manly coach Des Hasler.

Gillis said the club had indicated they wanted to keep Robertson, who they see as a senior player.

"He can play fullback or wing and was close to winning the Clive Churchill Medal. I don't think he was too far away from selection in the Australian side. Michael is a marquee player."

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer was reluctant to discuss the chance that one of his star wingers could be lost to the club.

"No doubt we have some challenges ahead of us with the sal- ary cap," Mayer said. "We have had preliminary discussions with both managers.

"I'm sure in the next few weeks things will become a lot clearer. At this stage there is no firm offer on the table.

"Success on the field certainly complicates things for clubs.

"That is why it is very difficult for any club to win back-to-back premierships these days."

Williams was playing down his chances of replacing the injured Brent Tate against the Kiwis in Saturday's World Cup final.

"It's not the way you want to get a spot in the squad but that's football these days, it's probably the only way you usually get a spot," Williams said. "It's how I got a spot at the start of the season and if it happens, it happens."

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Haha, how is that an 'exclusive'?

I think Robbo will leave sadly. He's only 25 now, so probably a bit soon for him to be going to England, but it could be an option. He's been fantastic for Manly and I'd be much happier if we could hang onto him, but it just might not be possible.

For the record, the 200k figure is absurd. Neither winger will be offered a contract of that size.

willstyles link said:
Haha, how is that an 'exclusive'?

LOL.gif

likes using the word

I'd actually like us to keep Williams. Love Robertson and all, but the potential is there for David, and we have Bani on the other wing who can play Fullback.

In all honesty, I would love to see Robbo go back to Canberra, nd link up with Monaghan. Would be a good move IMO.

My preference is to keep Robbo. His versatility is invaluable and I think he was a bit unlucky that Williams was selected over him for the World Cup Squad.

Very hard call to make, could Wolfman be a 1 season wonder, injuries, attitude, marketability all things need to be taken into account - hopefully Crusher & Des look into the right crystal ball

Keep Robbo.  He can play fullback at a pinch and Bani can be our other winger.  Williams is not showing any loyalty or commitment.  We rescued him from obscurity, made him what he is today, and now seems to want a 400% increase.  His defense is suspect and 09 will see what he has without Bell to cover his deficiencies.  Robbo, our three try GF hero.  He gave the last pass to Beaver as well.  True club man.  Ryan, why would you 'love' to see Robbo go to a rival club?  What is it with you Norths supporters?  I guess that's why Norths went down the tube, the supporters were too busy 'loving it' when rival clubs bought their better players.   

Keep em both.

Give them a slap and ask where on earth they started to think a winger commands nearly 1/4 of a million.

DSM5 link said:
Ryan, why would you 'love' to see Robbo go to a rival club?  What is it with you Norths supporters?  I guess that's why Norths went down the tube, the supporters were too busy 'loving it' when rival clubs bought their better players.   

Tookey & Ryan were probably deliourously happy when Manly bought Cliff Lyons who then proceeded to win premierhsips for Manly & cut the bears to shreds year in your out.

LOL - have to agree DSM, I would prefer him to go to UK or Union rather than watch our ex players in Souths, parra or raiders jumpers

Robbo will go to ESL at the end of next year and pick up a nice superannuation payment.

williams offers value not only as a player but as a marketing tool due to his cult status.

Would love to keep em both looks like the caps starting to bite, it may cause us some pain but its a good thing with out the cap would we have been able to rebuild as fast as we did. Or would the broncos or roosters been able to buy Kennedy, Kite and Orford

the cap is the nessisary evil of all clubs to help the nrl keep thriving otherwise a prime example is australia v new zealand, england ect (australia winning 55-0). the international game is a game without cap restrictions and this australian side would most likely all play for the broncos if it wasnt for the cap.

On topic if you had to pick this year out of robbo and wolf you would have to fall for robbo for safety purposes, we all know he is a consistent performer for years. Whereas Williams might be a one year wonder and you  would not risk losing a consistenly good player for a player who "Might" be a star, some would argue he is already a star but as i have said early i would only consider it if he consistantly played good football next year also.

DSM5 link said:
Keep Robbo.  He can play fullback at a pinch and Bani can be our other winger.  Williams is not showing any loyalty or commitment.  We rescued him from obscurity, made him what he is today, and now seems to want a 400% increase.  His defense is suspect and 09 will see what he has without Bell to cover his deficiencies.  Robbo, our three try GF hero.  He gave the last pass to Beaver as well.  True club man.  Ryan, why would you 'love' to see Robbo go to a rival club?  What is it with you Norths supporters?  I guess that's why Norths went down the tube, the supporters were too busy 'loving it' when rival clubs bought their better players.   

Because they played for Manly - I would like to see them succeed. Same as Burns (I was filthy at his going), but still go for the little fella when watching him play.

I'm a lot more open minded than that.

The question was asked who I would retain....and like Cliffy said - I think Williams will be a drawcard (if form keeps up) both on the park, and in the coffers marketing and merchandise wise.

The wolfman might be on a tad more, but if he provides 20% of his cap hit in marketing - he'd end up being cheaper - and I don't think for one minute that he's not going to be mountains better for playing with, and being around The Australian Squad.

Like B Stewart, he'll come out of it bigger and better - imagine that !

What if there's no new contract for Ox, surely that would free up enough money for both?
Of course we'd need a no7 probably for some fair figure

Funny, but I never considered Burns a true Manly player.  Perhaps it was all the penalties he cost us without much purpose, and the way he left us, wanting more cash than he was worth.  He was really a Cronulla player playing under Manly colours.  Robbo, on the other hand is a true club-man, not unlike Willo, although more talented.  That pass to Beaver in the GF, when he could have gone for glory says it all.     

Nutz, I'm sure he would have gone out as well, but then again, four tries in a GF, what an inducement to have a go.  He surely must have been tempted. 

Keep Robbo - Williams could turn out to be the next Bai, 1 good season the rest was just holding on to hope that he will come good again.

Get Rid of G Stewart that will open up some money  :p

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4