1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canterbury coach preparing for big commute from northern beaches

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    from confidential

[​IMG]

Hasler might want to ask Santa for a new set of tyres and a fuel card given the amount of travel he'll do in his new gig as Canterbury coach.

Dessie loves his northern beaches so much that there's no way he'd contemplate shifting to the 'burbs.

He'll hop in his Toyota and commute from Collaroy to Belmore five times a week - roughly 432km - not to mention the tolls on the Harbour Bridge and M5 Motorway. Dessie quipped this week he'd have to hit the Dogs up for a new e-tag.

One bloke who might have the same Christmas wish is incoming Dragons coach Steve Price, who'll buzz between Caringbah and the Gong, a lazy 120km return trip.

They'll be envious of Souths coach Michael Maguire, who hates traffic and will drive from Coogee to Redfern. Ivan Cleary has set up a temporary base in South Penrith close to the stadium, while Hasler's replacement Geoff Toovey is just a couple of solid three woods from Manly's Narrabeen training set-up.

Still, it's not as far as the 264km round trip Eels great Mick Cronin made from Gerringong to Parramatta and back for training[hr]
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/coaches-drive-for-success/story-e6freye0-1226197228579[hr]
    LOL google maps says 53 min for his commute 1 way, thats not gonna happen at say 7am more like 1 1/2hrs
    assuming he will go that way

Bridge $3
    return trip
    ED toll $4.90 are all the tolls he will pay per day

2. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +507 / 20
    move over there you traitor. Must make the Dogs feel like Des loves being there.

3. Moops

Moops Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +394 / 26
    It has gotta wear you down eventually. The tolls, the traffic...it's terrible. To beat it he has to leave before 5.30am. Afternoon traffic from Belmore? sheesh!!! I used to do it...and that was five years ago. The traffic is worse now

4. BOZO

BOZO Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,841 / 190
    Its about a one and a half hours trip at best and it will be enough to give poor Des road rage .

5. manlysister

manlysister Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    Its all part of the package Des! You wanted it you got it

6. Dan79

Dan79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0
    Why do you think he took the support staff with him? Car pooling will make the trip that much easier.

7. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,525 / 32
  8. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    It WILL send him crazy Sydney roads are a disgrace
    He will probably send for the Canterbury leagues shuttle bus or use greenturds sofa lounge

9. BOZO

BOZO Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,841 / 190
    The drive back home after a loss will be his longest ,especially the one in round 8 next year .

10. The Eagle

The Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 0
    He'll just sleep next to Greenturd

11. Brookie4eva

Brookie4eva Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +175 / 1
    I think Des has it the worst, Collaroy to Belmore may be shorter than Caringbah to Wollongong, but it would be a much worse drive.

• Like Like x 1
  12. manlysister

manlysister Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    Plus the M5 - $3.80 soon to rise to $4.40 & all that is one way for one day. He will be lucky to do the trip in 1.5 hours. He should be in such a crappy mood by the time he gets to Belmore. :D

13. Mals

Mals Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Pennant Hills
    Ratings:
    +1,479 / 35
    I think Dymock will hang the No Vacancy sign at his house

14. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,803 / 53
    I don't think Des has the temperament for that sort of driving.

Think back to that door at Parra stadium... some poor sods will be copping abuse from Des between Collaroy and Belmore that's for sure.

(This isn't a criticism, I reckon I'd be wanting to kill someone too if I had to do that drive.)

15. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    No M5 toll as you take Kingsgrove rd exit, toll starts from King George's rd

16. tookey

tookey Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,241 / 131
    Part fo his contract was for a chaufer driven car every day.

17. manlysister

manlysister Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    Oh my gosh that makes the trip so much longer. Des would just stay on the M5 once he's on to get as close to the doghouse as possible although there is little movement with all the traffic practically 24/7. Cant wait for the first road rage explosion from the man should be a classic. I hope I dont see him around my workplace. Not sure I could just walk passed him would have to give him a serving:mad:

18. Ceagle

Ceagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +238 / 3
    Does anyone think Foran has what it takes to make the trek each day from Dee Why to Bankstown?

19. firechild

firechild Active Member

Ratings:
    +62 / 0
    I bet Joe G shed a tear for Des after hearing about the massive trek he'll have to make to Belmore each day.

20. mickqld

mickqld Sack Greenslime 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +3,742 / 57
    Who cares what Hasler is doing I dont. He is history and now the enemy so suck it up. All I care about is what 2V and Manly are doing. Would love to know if 2V is adopting the same philosophys and training regimes that have been used by the previous coache or whether he is changing it all to his own programme.