Canterbury Bulldogs facing $50,000 fine for grand final late arrival

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagleheart

Bencher
Date October 6, 2014 - 7:46PM
Roy Masters
Rugby League Columnist

Canterbury will be fined a minimum of $50,000 for arriving five minutes late onto the field for the start of the NRL grand final on Sunday.

Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle provided the NRL's head of marketing Paul Kind with a statement in writing that the Bulldogs would immediately follow the Rabbitohs onto the field.

However, neither Castle nor the NRL had counted on Des Hasler doing what Des Hasler does.

It's been an axiom in rugby league that "they can't start without us". Hasler clearly intended to delay his team's entry onto the field in order to destabilise the Rabbitohs, playing in their first grand final in 43 years.

Viewers saw Channel 9 footage of Canterbury players still pulling on their jumpers while Souths were warming up.

The NRL is furious at the Dogs' breach of a written undertaking and a $50,000 fine is considered the minimum penalty.

Meanwhile, the Rabbitohs' celebrations took on a nautical theme on Monday: the players were at The Dolphin hotel in Surry Hills and coach Michael Maguire took his coaching staff to Bondi Icebergs – and all mused on the night Des attempted to freeze them out.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/canterbury-bulldogs-facing-50000-fine-for-grand-final-late-arrival-20141006-10r1hb.html#ixzz3FMKM0me9

Turd Greensnot will get them out of it.

Jethro said:
Turd Greensnot will get them out of it.

Of course he will. Under a 'loophole that is now closed.'

So the nrl didn't want luke on the field.....then they couldn't get the whole bulldogs to come out!!

I never minded if teams wanted to 'stay in the sheds.' Gave everyone more time to soak up the atmosphere, warm up, get some practice kicks in, etc.

Teams should do this instead of standing still facing the haka.

Looking at the scoreline, you wonder if they did show up? lol

Thats ok though as Greenturd knows they can give up 50K revenue from their massive pokie empire.

That's huge; $50k is a drop in the bucket for the Dogs but if Des had done that at Manly it would have mean't a loss for the year.

Dan said:
Pretty sure Hodkinson didn't even end up out there

His performance was diabolical.

Having attended a family wedding on Sunday I only watched a replay yesterday and my brother in law only recorded kick off to the 80th minute.

So missed all the bull****, the Glory Glory crap and just saw the game.

They missed Ennis big time and Dogkinson was hardly sighted, Reynolds did most of their organising.

Despite the close scores for a fair while they were never in it .

I watched the match, but none of the lead up nor celebrations. I had taped the earlier matches, which were crackers, and watched these knowing that the first grade match would have one hour of sick-inducing commentary.

Blake Leary was good for the Pride. He's a real workhorse. Not an enforcer by any means but a more agile version of Daniel Harrison imo. He could be another 80-minute player and pressure Horo for a regular first grade spot.

Onto DESpicable. Shouldn't he have to pay the $50,000 fine (if it eventuates) rather than the club? It was his dubious tactics to keep everybody waiting. And another thing: Why did Souffs have to run out first? I would have thought they were the 'home' team having finished ahead of the Scumdogs on the ladder.

I noticed the delay and felt Souths were going to be disadvantaged until I saw that they started a passing drill. I think this would have helped Souths settle out on the field.

Greenberg will announce a suspended fine. If they do it again in the next grand final they will have to pay it.

Todd Greenberg has released a statement.

'The NRL have decided against fining the Bulldogs for being late on to the field for the Grand Final. The Bulldogs were not aware daylight savings had started, and actually thought they were on the field 55 minutes early rather than 5 minutes late. We unreservedly apologise to the Bulldogs and the NRL will now donate $50,000 to charity. That charity being the Bulldogs.'

The Dogs were probably using the channel nien clock so in fact they were 15 minutes early.

How about fining channel nien, never seen a live game kick off on time, always waiting for them to talk crap, go to a advertising break then talk about the current reality show before they are ready for the kick off.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4