1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I just say ...

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by TouchMyHappy, Oct 7, 2013.

1. TouchMyHappy

TouchMyHappy Member

+57 / 0
    I've been a long time lurker here and thought there would be no better time to make my first post then right now.

Last night was the first grand final I've ever attended. I sat there among a sea of red, white and blue cheering my lungs out for our team, for the boys we pay our hard earned to watch week by week. As the realisation came that we weren't going to win and as I saw maroon and white flood past me, out the gates and into the darkness ... I sat there, copping abuse left, right and centre. It wasn't because I was too legless to stand (although I was close), but it was the pride I felt for this wonderful team of ours that made me stay.

Yes the result wasn't what we wanted, but by God I love being a Manly Warringah Sea Eagles fan. As a boy from Camden, with my local team being the toothless Tigers, I always feel the strangest sensation when surprised locals ask me why I follow the Eagles. It's something you can't describe, just knowing you're meant to follow such a great team. Surrounded by orange and black for the entire season and yet my heart and soul lies solely with the maroon and white. The first time I watched them run around on the television as a young boy, I knew that's the team I wanted to be passionate about. Something clicked in me and with no ties to the Manly region, with my family all supporting a different club, I knew straight away I would follow the Eagles from that day on for the rest of my life.

And no matter what I'll always scream for our boys. I'll be walking proud today with my Manly jersey on. I'll just smile and wave at the abuse I cop, because I feel proud and honoured to follow a team such as ours. I'll never feel ashamed to wear our colours. Because we're Manly, and boy we're a lucky bunch.

Enjoy the off season everyone.
    • Like Like x 14
  2. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    +4,719 / 96
    Nice post. I wish I could be as gracious as you. I too am wearing my Manly clothing . . . and the cat can sense I'm not my happy-go-lucky self.
    I'm still angry that our fantastic players were not given an even crack at winning the premiership.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TouchMyHappy

TouchMyHappy Member

+57 / 0
    I hear you mate. In all reality there were a couple of blatant decisions that just leave you completely and utterly baffled ... but we can't let them consume us. I'm re-watching our effort against the Bunnies and while it leaves me with a feeling of 'what if' it always makes me so happy remembering what that night felt like.
  4. doc

doc Active Member

+119 / 7
    Good on you mate. And next year when you buy the tix make sure you select the manly section!! Much more fun sitting with your own supporter!
  5. TouchMyHappy

TouchMyHappy Member

+57 / 0
    Definitely will mate! The atmosphere would have been more electric over with all the Eagles faithful.
  6. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

+12,050 / 238
    It was, great first post and do NOT make it your last
  7. torana355

torana355 Well-Known Member Premium Member

+1,491 / 27
    What an awesome first post. Win or Lose im always proud to support the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.
  8. simon64

simon64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

+1,986 / 25
    I wore my jersey everywhere today too.

And the smug Rooters fans looked at me like I was weird.

I relate 100% to the pride in our side. I grew up in Merrylands in the 70's and was the lone voice amongst a sea of Parramatta supporters.
  9. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

+5,436 / 49
    TMH, your user name makes me laugh but I wont ask you any questions about it.
    A fantastic first post and welcome aboard. Glad you got to your first Manly Grand Final. It's yet to happen for me but I hope you get to see a winning one soon.
  10. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

+1,239 / 7
    I wonder if TMH knows another poster here, Stiffi.