1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Ballin play in the halves?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by KaZa, Mar 17, 2008.

1. KaZa

KaZa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 20
    lets say this wonderful halves partnership continues to struggle 3-4 games from now...

who would be worth a shot there? Ballin? with Le Strange to hooker? or maybe Le strange to 5/8? Halden? that Foran kid? Groom? oh wait....

2. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    Maybe strange at 5/8

3. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cliffy said that he is still available for 5/8.  Even at his age he would be better than lyon.

5. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    Bite the bullet at promote Keiran Foran - a bold gamble but I heard he went well in a well beaten side against the Storm in the first trial

6. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    I can't see risk-averse Hasler promoting a 17 year old given Ballin has had to wait until he's 24! 

7. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    Ballin is a hooker not a half and I have not seen much LeStrange to comment on him but I doubt it.

I would stick with Lyon at 5/8 at the moment, hopefully he will get better and we really have limited options there.  Foran is the only prospect but throwing him into NRL is a big ask and could stunt his development.  If things are still bad in a month and he is going well in Under 20's throw him into Beam Cup and see how he goes against the bigger boys and maybe give him a shot.

8. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    You would have to suppose that the coaching staffs backup plan is Neumann ?

9. KaZa

KaZa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 20
    I can't see risk-averse Hasler promoting a 17 year old given Ballin has had to wait until he's 24! 
    [/quote]

exactly.. Des isnt exactly known for his bold decisions...

10. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    No need for panic yet. Des sticks with those who do the job. At present we have lost one game - no need to get too concerned.

11. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    The reality is that Lyon is NOT a 5/8, and this must be obvious to all.  I can't imagine Des thinks he is and and so what is the problem:  Is Des blind, or is there just no-one he else he wants on the park?  I see the same issue with Orford's penalty kicks and those in general play, most go barely ten metres, his persistance with Bell's crabbing runs and his use of the bench, a few of the more obvious issues.  The problems of Lyon at 5/8 was with us last year and so Des had the off season to experiment and obviously that didn't happen.  I just can't figure it out.       

12. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Why does Orford keep taking the kicks for line?  Surely there is one person in a squad of 17 that can kick the ball off the edge of a postage stamp???????????

13. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Mata, I've been on this issue for seasons and I bought it up at a coaches forum in 06 I think.  Obviously the brains trust think the current arrangement is adequate.  I just now naturally assume that Orford is a hog and Des doesn't have the balls to tell him different.

14. KaZa

KaZa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 20
    spot on. Des and his balls that is.

15. SilentBob

SilentBob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Are people swaying away from Dazzler?
    A slight shift perhaps.

16. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    We are 80 minutes into the season. Too early to get excited.

If we are still playing this way in 10 weeks then it will be time to start getting uptight.