Can all the doomsdayers please shut up?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

NYEagle

Bencher
For gods sake.....

Losing Brett Stewart is not the end of the world. Manly will win plenty of games this year, and will also lose some. Its a very close competition. But this team sans Brett will be fine.

And a fresh Brett comes finals time will be great  :)

I though the game Monday was a great game of footy. Both sides played great considering it was the first game of the year. The tiges looks a little fitter first up and ran Manly down no biggie.

I saw plenty of 2008 Manly in there. Nice tough forward play, great commitment, some hints of backline combinations. Once the halves get used to each other Manly will be fine.

I'm upbeat and positive for a strong year, so to all those thinking it will be a massive effort just to make the top eight, please take Fergies advice.....

......and just shut up shut up.

NYEagle

I actually agree, it's depressing coming on to here (and MWSE as well) straight after a loss...especially considering it's round 1.

Understandable after we lost against Melbourne in the Semi's last year, but seriouslyy the amount of negativity this week has been huge.

I understand peoples thoughts, but it is game one...there are 25 to go.

We had no Brett Stewart for 20 weeks last year and finished 5th, and had it not been that loss to Souths when the boys let their nemisis get to them we would have been 4th with a home semi.

As I have said several times it's NOT time to slit your wrists just yet!!

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I actually agree, it's depressing coming on to here (and MWSE as well) straight after a loss...especially considering it's round 1.

Understandable after we lost against Melbourne in the Semi's last year, but seriouslyy the amount of negativity this week has been huge.

I understand peoples thoughts, but it is game one...there are 25 to go.

We had no Brett Stewart for 20 weeks last year and finished 5th, and had it not been that loss to Souths when the boys let their nemisis get to them we would have been 4th with a home semi.

As I have said several times it's NOT time to slit your wrists just yet!!

well said. ppl seriously need to take chops advice and "harden the #$$% up!"

If you come here you should know by now what you're going to get.  The site has always had a reputation for realism and the point being made here is that we will not win the competition with Robbo at fullback. 

Is it "negative" or "doomsaying" to suggest a risk should be taken?  I don't think so.

Why is Robbo there and not Farrah?  Whare into the centres.  And I'm not being a 'doomsdayer', but for once I agree with the South African slacker.  We won't win with Robbo as fullback.  It didn't work last year and it wont' this season. 

Losing Brett sucks but I agree that there's been a lot of negativity on this site. We lost our first game in a tight one. Should have won but didn't. Let's get over it.
Winning so brilliantly in '08 has made us all hungry for more.
We've got to be good solid supporters and write our team off because there's a few obstacles to overcome. We need to show that the team that we believe in them and back them all the way.
As much as I love Stewy (and I'd love him to love me back) he is not the whole team.
Plenty of good things to come. Go Manly.

I quite like doomsdayers, I don't want them to shut up. Apart from anything else they make me feel light and bouyant by comparison, a veritable cock-eyed optimist. In addition, 'doom' is just a great word, wasn't a bad game either.

It is pretty obvious that losing to the Tigers is worse than beating them, and losing Brett for 5 months is worse than having him. If we beat the Eels, whether by fluke or otherwise, the mood will change dramatically.

it would be depressing for you It'd effect your bottom line on those packages...

Please everyone cheer up, Mark may have kids to feed!

It's time to give Hoppa Jnr a go.  We need a better option than Robertson and need to build for the future.  There's no point using good winger as an average fullback while we have Hoppa in need of experience.  Even if Brett's ready in time for the finals, he would have only played a handful of games in the previous 2 years so we need options.  If Hoppa does well we should just stick with him for this season.

Losing Brett is a massive blow because we struggle to win games without him.  I also don't think most people realise that he is only one more serious knee injury away from retirement.  

If people are not devastated at that thought then they probably think that Robbo is our answer at fullback and t-rex should be a centre.

It was also the performance of Perry who was as soft as icecream, Mattai who seems to have lost a couple of yards in pace from 2008,  Williams running out of steam in the last 20 minutes (he should be a forward comming off the bench as he is simply too big and not mobile enough to last a full 80 minutes in the centres) and Bailey who is a huge dissappointment.

2010 promised so much but appears will end up a dissapointing year.  Des needs to cull massively at the end of the year if we don't make the semis.  

What will cap off our season is if hargraves has a massive year for the roosters.

I didn't get carried away in the offseason enough to think 2010 "promised much".  Though my prediction of 8th is now looking optimistic. 

How the hell does asking for the injection of some bright young talent from our HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL lower grade sides after the long term loss of 2 internationals  qualify oneself as a doomsayer.

We are now 25 to 1 with the bookies,double the odds we were last week.

And the reason:

Stewart and wolf in a good year will score 40 tries between them and the team about 90.Half our strike cut down in week one.The current outside backs could not get anywhere near that so unless king slips over for 15 or 20 we are going to struggle to score points.You simply dont win many games scoring a couple of tries a match.just ask the sharks.if anyone has any idea how they think we will score enough points with the backline we have now please tell us.and that does not even take into account defensive problems the new lineup out wide has created.

so we are in for a tough year.not disastrous,just tough.

all the "doomsayers" are asking is that we utilise a tough year to have a peek into the future.i am actually quite excited as we head into new era with guys like foran and hodkinsonson,but i am realistic enough to know that this year will be a grind.i definitely DONT want to go into next year not knowing what our future stocks are like.they may not work out but if so it then gives us an opportunity to at least chase new talent from elsewhere.

Knowing Brett had these medical issues (keeping aside the legal issues) and knowing from last year Robbo isnt the right choice at FB, there had to be a backup plan. What was/is it ?

So by suggesting we blood new talent it is recognising that this is actually an opportunity.  Now thats positive stuff isnt it.

well im just going to support th team they put on th park cos i love manly and all that goes with it.

Matabele.... @#^%%$ @#^$@   #@$#%$&$ @#$%^  you should go to rugby with your kids cos if you don't think we can make the 8 you have not a clue what you r talking about, however u r right that we need to blood some kids,
thats about all u r right about.

what this site has a rep for realism... u r joking right?
saying our season is over is NOT realism
our season is far FAR from over

NYEagle,

No offence but regarding your thread title, opinions, opinions. Agree or disagree with them. Like them or hate them. Everybody has one and everyone is entitled to one.  What a boring place the world would be if we all agreed. ;D

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7