1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cameron Smith: The referee whisperer

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by EaglesDontTweet, May 19, 2016.

1. EaglesDontTweet

EaglesDontTweet Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,132 / 15
    Interesting Story by Tim Gore - The Roar - msn sport

Link:
    http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...ree-whisperer/ar-BBtd8JV?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=iehp

There are two types of rugby league people. There are those who love Cam Smith and think it is a mere formality that he’ll be made an immortal, and those who despise him and believe he is one of the games vilest grubs.

Over the last two weeks there have been two incidents that have led people to claim that Smith gets more than a fair run with the referees; that there is one rule for Cam Smith and another rule for everybody else.

On Anzac Day footage clearly showed Cam Smith touching referee Matt Cecchin. However, he was neither charged or suspended, although Panther Sam McKendry was suspended for handling Jared Maxwell in a very similar fashion just the week before.

Last weekend Johnathan Thurston went to take a field goal attempt that would have levelled the scores in the 75th minute. However, Smith was able to stop him taking the shot. The vision showed that Smith was massively offside out of second marker. It should have been a penalty to the Cows straight in front.

But these incidents don’t necessarily suggest that Smith is the officials golden boy, and they certainly aren’t worthy of earning a player a reputation as a grub.

Continues.............

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. wedgetail eagle

wedgetail eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,731 / 10
    Interesting.
    Steve Roach has written in RLW, telling Smith to "zip it", for continually querying Referees decisions.

3. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,750 / 258
    The Golden child , totally untouchable, he Thurston and Inglis, and probably Cronk......and notice the theme??

ALL QUEENSLANDERS!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. double hoops

double hoops Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,633 / 113
    Credit where credits due. Bozos old school mentality should be taking note of no one other then Cam Smith

Composure, leadership and smarts when it comes to talking to the ref. That's like our big three weaknesses.

Kevvy says thanks for getting him sent off in England too by the way.

5. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,080 / 38
    Total double standards, but that's par for the course in the NRL today.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Eagleheart

Eagleheart Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Sydney
    Ratings:
    +1,264 / 40
    Scam Smith is a cheating, grubby scum bag.

One rule for some and no rules for Scam..........!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,486 / 42
    Cameron Smith: The referee fellatio giver....

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,800 / 58
    Literally as well.

When the new rule about when you can talk to refs came out, who was the first to break them? Smith! The frustrating thing is the refs let smith talk to them constantly...when he isn't supposed to (after penalties, etc.) If Jamie goes up to them he gets scolded like a school boy.

I think it's mainly because smith talks and doesn't yell or sound exasperated. The refs are lured in by his seductive tones.

9. yokahontas

yokahontas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,139 / 13
    Cuts both ways though - the referees also don't speak to him like he's the scum of the earth. Unlike Jamie (and a few others), that get screamed at to "get away from me" before they have even approached the ref. Smith has definitely raised his voice and spoken disrespectfully to refs before (he wasn't entirely calm when Alex McKinnon was horribly injured and he was trying to dodge a penalty for his team, for one - but there have been plenty of other occasions when his demeanour has been quite rude).

And as for the other protected species, is there anyone who chucks bigger wobblies at the officials than Thurston?!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. nightster

nightster grumpy old bastard

grew up Manly now Byron
    Ratings:
    +1,427 / 43
    the pot calling the kettle black

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. EaglesDontTweet

EaglesDontTweet Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,132 / 15
  12. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    I'm glad the refs are short with the players, that's the way it should be. I'd hate to end up like soccer where any mildly controversial decision by the referee is met by a wave of players gesticulating madly and getting in his face, followed by 5 minutes of arguing. We don't need that, it's pathetic....but that is the way the NRL is headed. Just about every try these days is met with a howl of protest and a player imploring the ref to go upstairs.

I'm happy if the refs tell the Captains to pee off, they don't need to explain every call, and they certainly won't change their decision. But what they do need to be is consistent across the board, and treat every Captain/player the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,800 / 58
    In 'ice' hockey, there is a marked space on the ice (used for when ref's need to confer) and if you approach a ref whilst they are in that circle....you get to enjoy sitting down in the penalty box for 2 min.

• Like Like x 1
    • Clever Clever x 1
  14. yokahontas

yokahontas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,139 / 13
    I think a lot of the Union refs get it about right. They are firm, to the point, but they speak to the players as adults - not naughty school kids or misbehaving animals. I also like the RU old-school approach of calling the players by number, not name. That's where a lot of the matey-matey rubbish between officials and certain NRL players really stands out, and it's not a good look.

Different standards and expectations in every sport I guess. Hell, I had a full point deducted once in taekwondo for holding up my hands and saying 'Sir' after I'd been hit illegally in the back of the head. That'd be seen as polite in pretty much every other sport, not dissent!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,486 / 42
    They should introduce something like that here. Have an NRL sanctioned sniper sitting up in a box with a semi automatic long range rifle trained on said spot. Any player approaches in that two minutes...head shot!....medical cab comes out throws the deceased captain on, and not to disadvantage his team mates that won't count as an interchange.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. wedgetail eagle

wedgetail eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,731 / 10
    Agree.
    Then there's the infamous 1990 Referee Eddie Ward head pat.

17. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,602 / 45
    I think most teams are envious of the way all the refs have time for a quick chat and a giggle with Jamie Lyon whenever he feels like it. Such a likeable bloke, Jamie. And the refs are always so approachable and accommodating.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Cliffymagic

Cliffymagic Active Member

Ratings:
    +143 / 2
    My best memories of smith are elbowing balin in the face about 5 times tryin to play the ball a few years back. Not penelized either bloody joke. And that sweet sweet close up shot of him sitting in stands during our 40-0 floggin of the cheatin merkins. Hope he had a great day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. nightster

nightster grumpy old bastard

grew up Manly now Byron
    Ratings:
    +1,427 / 43
    thanks thats the one I was trying to remember I was at Brookie for that game ... a real cracker Sunday arvo at the fortress when we used to win there

• Like Like x 1