1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cameron smith just the usual

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by jbb/james, Nov 17, 2014.

1. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    So he is crapping on about the burn out factor.this guy is a serial whinger. Moan moan, doom and gloom. He wants the bucks but doesnt want to help the code make it. The codes need the cash and the tournaments to pay the players what they want. They want to earn enough in 10 years to set themselves up for life. Thats cool go hard do the overtime. You want burn out Cameron , how about 50 years in the workforce. What a mupphet. What aout the samoans getting 17 k per game to didvide between the whole squad. Not a peep out of them about burn out. And they fine gallen but this mouth piece is always bitching and moaning about something.
    If your worried about burn out do what watmough did and sign with parra

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    I'm too burnt out to respond to his crap.

3. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,720 / 257
    Lol James, Yep Choccy won't be suffering too much burnout at the Eels, that's a guarantee

4. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    Put aside the person and it is a fairly valid point

Most rep players have just finished their year as pre-season begins - considering the pull 9 has in the game I am not sure there is much of a solution

• Like Like x 1
  5. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    The players union allows for every layer to have a month off at the end of the season when there duties are finished. Its training or playing essentially

6. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,720 / 257
    And hello, the rest of us work 48 weeks of the year and have a month off, AND if lucky we get a tenth of what these guys earn

• Like Like x 1
  7. TWO DOGS

TWO DOGS Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Berry
    Ratings:
    +429 / 1
    I have a eight chooks and there are a few among them having at least a month off too.

8. anthonyb1965

anthonyb1965 GO Manly Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Canberra
    Ratings:
    +504 / 15
    Yawnnnnnn.....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bradza

Bradza Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +490 / 6
    or in your case Mark, work 4 weeks and spend the other 48 weeks traveling!

10. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    To be fair what they do is pretty physically taxing

NFL, arguably as tough as NRL (that is a debate for another day) has a 16 match season over 17 weeks. That is with a squad of 52 players

We have 26 rounds, a couple of byes thrown in, with a squad of 25 players. In addition to this the top top players have rep football thrown in. Considering how the game has speed up and become more brutal there is a serious need to look at the demands on the players - no one likes not having the top players around at the end of the year

But of course (as usual) i am bleeding heart lefty and they should be happy to earn so much "money" for playing a game

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    You, a bleeding heart lefty??? That floors me because I thought you were smart.

12. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,565 / 45
    Is it ok now for Smith to have a "whinge"? I'd guess so.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-burnout-manly-coach-geoff-toovey-calls-for-review-of-scheduling-and-player-workload/story-e6frf3ru-1227128516079?nk=5c72927325cf92edd41a342aa9107b7d

13. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,739 / 125
    I see that Greg Inglis has played a reported 40 hours of rugby league in 2014 (32 games), hence the Vermin have given him a 10 week break.

Most of us humanoids (I'm a fan of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan) work 40 hours every damn week. Sure we don't take the hits that NRL players do, but Inglis isn't exactly someone like Mat Ballin who is making 40+ tackles per game. He's not a prop or second rower taking a couple of hit ups each set.

Compare that to players from 30 or more years ago who played a full season, plus mid-week cup games, rep games where if they were good enough they'd play most of those and still back up for their clubs a few days later. Plus those good enough would play more in a Kangaroo Tour year. Some players would end up playing upwards of 40 games a year (and while being fit, their fitness wasn't what it would be if they played today, nor was the medical attention for injuries there like it is today). All while holding down a full time job.

Players today really have it easy in comparison. Sure, everyone needs a break every now and then, that's natural, but sometimes I think talk about player burnout gets blown out of proportion.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Add 5-6 hours a day training and video during the week and it comes up to a bit more than 40 hours worked in the year

• Like Like x 1
  15. Vyssini

Vyssini Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +464 / 1
    I have a different recollection to what it was like 30 or even 40 years ago. Firstly fewer teams - 12- saw 22 rounds. The midweek cup saw teams usually play reserve graders until the semi finals at best and there was nowhere near the same intensity in state football- origin wasn't even a series the first few years. Also finals were limited to a top five (they were the days) with again fewer matches.

The only area where I agree with you that top players today have it easier is in regards to lengthy Kangaroo tours.

16. Bandit

Bandit Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +167 / 5
    30-40 years ago they were paid very little (played for the love of the sport & mateship) and so all those men also worked fulltime jobs through the week.

Today's guys (rightly so) are paid well enough to be professional footballers only. Plus the great medical support - they shouldn't complain too much about burnout, based on number of matches they're being asked to play at the moment, imo. But I wouldn't want the season any longer.

17. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,785 / 58
    cricketers complained about burnout as well......until the IPL started offering big bucks; then everyone was as fit as can be.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 15
    Only thing that bugs me is the whole "only a ten year career so have to earn big bucks while they can" thing.
    It's not like they are unable to do anything other than play football. When they retire they can still work for another 30+ years like the rest of us. We all change jobs/retrain and do different things throughout our working lives why can't they?
    Should just be seen as a 10 year period of a 40+ year working life like we all have.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PONTIAN SEA EAGLE

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +948 / 80
    Hate that smirk on his face when he's being interviewed.