C’mon Manly, Tooves deserves better

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Nice little opinion piece on Tooves at the roar http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/06/20/geoff-toovey-deserves-better/ he goes abit over board however the facts about Tooves and what he has had to put up with is spot on in my opinion.

it's sad to see what is happening to Tooves he is one of our favourite sons and deserves more respect than this...

It’s high time Manly’s chairman Scott Penn showed Geoff Toovey the same loyalty Toovey has shown his career-long club as player and coach, especially after Manly’s 30-20 win over the Tigers at Brookvale last night to climb off the bottom of the NRL table.

Penn’s track record is pathetic.

He was a major player in Des Hasler leaving Manly for the Bulldogs immediately after winning the 2011 premiership, and had a large role in Glenn Stewart going to South Sydney and Anthony Watmough signing with Parramatta.

Add the Daly Cherry-Evans saga – which did Manly, Penn, Cherry-Evans, the Titans, and the NRL no good – and class pivot Kieran Foran signing with the Eels for next season, and Penn’s been busy doing, and achieving, nothing.

Let’s turn the clock back two months to when Penn said, “I don’t want to put any undue pressure on anyone, but we are a results driven business.”

Really? Instead of making thinly veiled threats against Toovey, how about being a man where the buck stops at his desk?

Not on your life, there’s more.

“If we don’t have a good outcome this year, then we will be having serious discussions.”

Translated: Geoff Toovey will get the sack.

Already the rumour mill is running hot that Penrith assistant coach Trent Barrett will take over next season, if not sooner. Barrett has no head coaching experience, and for Penn to be even thinking of appointing an outsider over one of the most loyal club men in history is as disloyal as can be.

In Toovey’s debut year, 2012, Manly finished fourth with a 16 win, 8 loss record for the regulation season. Manly was beaten 40-12 in the preliminary final by the Storm.

In 2013, Manly again finished fourth with a 15-8-1 record, only to lose the grand final 26-18 to the Roosters.

Last year Manly finished second with a 16-8 season, losing a semi to the Hasler-coached Dogs 18-17.

By any standards, it’s a mighty fine record under Toovey’s guidance.

But Penn’s shortcomings haven’t finished there, as he obviously hasn’t taken into account Manly has suffered far more than any other club this season with a litany of injuries.

On the other side of the coin, the Manly faithful still believe Toovey will coach the club into the play-offs, and that last night was the start of the renaissance.

So it would fit the frame if the chairman came out and said something positive in support of Geoff Toovey. The faithful would also appreciate the gesture, or they can be forgiven for thinking Penn has already signed Barrett, and is keeping it under raps.

Then the muck will truly hit the fan.

I think it all boils down to the simple fact that somebody close to the top just doesn't like Toovey's face. I'm on the record here as being one of the believers in Toovey. The guy has done well in the last three seasons. It reminds me of a company I once worked for. Their motto was don't fix the problem - fix the blame.

Everyone knows he was a marked man when Penns took control. It has nothing to do with on-field performance, a comp win wont save his job.

Agreed.

Starting props out for the season.
Lock out for season.
First choice winger out for season.
Both centres have missed multiple games
Fullback has missed multiple games.

I know that other clubs have had issues with injuries and they are also going ****house.

Tooves at least needs to see out this year and see how we finish in the last 10 rounds. Then we can see how he's done.

Unfortunately for Tooves he decided he needed to work with the previous CEO to do his job properly and that set him off side with the new owners and one particular vindictive ex employee. If Tooves does get moved on the banner I would like to see at the next home would be just 2 simple words. Your Fault! That's to the owners, board and a few players as well who haven't backed him like he deserved to be.

Needs to be managed extremely well from here on in otherwise it will be the whole gifty mistake and saga all over again

My experience is that robust and transparent communication with all stakeholders is required with an overall plan to treat people with respect and dignity

Let's sere if we have learnt because above all else including players and supporters 2v deserves to be a part of his own destiny

Anything less would be a failure and worse than the spoon and put udon oar with the other rabble

Go manly

Needs to be managed extremely well from here on in otherwise it will be the whole gifty mistake and saga all over again

My experience is that robust and transparent communication with all stakeholders is required with an overall plan to treat people with respect and dignity

Let's sere if we have learnt because above all else including players and supporters 2v deserves to be a part of his own destiny

Anything less would be a failure and worse than the spoon and put udon oar with the other rabble

Go manly
Nothing, and I mean nothing is worse than a spoon.

What rubbish. One thing I can guarantee you is that if we were top 4 right now, there would be no talk about Tooveys job. It has EVERYTHING to do with being stone motherless last and staring at our first ever spoon.

You obviously have little understanding of the politics of the club. Toovey was a deadman walking before a ball was kicked off this season. Everyone knows this.

If the crap didnt hit the fan with Foran and DCE leaving Toovey would of been sacked around Rounds 3-5.

Last edited:
It would be fair to say if the Cows had Thurston, Scott, Taumoloulo ect missing they could well be staring up the ladder at Manly....so Tooves should not be judged too harshly imo....with players coming back dont be suprised to see mass improvement including this Friday.
On the other side - it does seem theres a divide in the playing group, but is this Tooves fault as in player management - i have no clue - but personally a massive Toovey fan & before judging where we are as to his coaching ability - keep in mind the adversity the team has faced beyond his control in 2015 to date......

As I have said before anyone who was associated with Glen Stewart demise at the club will go. That is the Retention Team of Perry, Gigg, Warwick and Toovey. Certain people at the club were waiting for the right moment to strike

I have no disagreement with any of the above comments, but the simple fact is that the club would not have been able to sack him if we were in the top 4 throughout the season. I agree with Bones, Tooves is a favourite of mine too but he has done himself no favours throughout the season with some of his selections and much of his bench management. He could have taken the decision away from them, but instead the results have played into their hands.

I have no disagreement with any of the above comments, but the simple fact is that the club would not have been able to sack him if we were in the top 4 throughout the season. I agree with Bones, Tooves is a favourite of mine too but he has done himself no favours throughout the season with some of his selections and much of his bench management. He could have taken the decision away from them, but instead the results have played into their hands.

Yes and anyone can be an armchair general but when you are looking down the bench and seeing who is left when so many have fallen ,you go for safety first. Just remember we are witness to the worst injury toll in a decade . It is very easy to criticise but when you need to make the call you always will be left open for flack from the armchair army. Some one will always say you have got it wrong. Hang in there tooves .You are a mile ahead of your detractors.

Geoff Toovey not the architect of Manly Sea Eagles' fall, insists Wayne Bennett
Date
June 25, 2015 - 6:18PM

Phil Lutton
Sports reporter

Wayne Bennett has swung behind embattled Manly coach Geoff Toovey, saying he's the last person who should be blamed as the club struggles this season against the backdrop of seemingly endless contractual controversy.

With just four wins to their name, the Sea Eagles sit last on the NRL ladder and would need to turn water into wine if they are any chance to feature in the finals.

Toovey is under immense pressure at Brookvale, with many believing he will be sacked at the end of the season and be replaced by Trent Barrett. There has also been some suggestion Toovey could take over from Tim Sheens as Australian coach.

Bennett has been one of the most outspoken critics of the NRL's contracting process and even after the abolition of the round 13 rule - now replaced by a 10-day cooling off period - believes the entire system needs a major overhaul.

Manly's entire season has been consumed by the saga surrounding halfback Daly Cherry-Evans, who was eventually retained after spurning the Gold Coast Titans at the last moment.

Now the club finds itself in the market once again for Kieran Foran, Cherry-Evans' halves partner who is now rethinking his $4.8 million Parramatta deal after the club attempted to change the terms of the initial agreement.

It may all work out for the best for Manly, who might lose then retain both of their key halves in the one season. But Bennett believes it would have taken a heavy toll on the entire playing group and the club as a whole, from the coach right down to the fans.

"My biggest concern would be for the [Manly] club," Bennett said. "I can't believe the turmoil that Manly has had to go through in all this. And you see criticism of Geoff Toovey, he's the last guy people should be criticising. What has happened to that club is just horrific.

"Losing your two star players and then ...............

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ll-insists-wayne-bennett-20150625-ghxkt5.html

I challenge any coach to function with what Toovey has had to cope with over 2014 and 2015. Because we had a split and dysfunctional board that destroyed a winning culture where players could not wait to leave and then dump it all on the incumbent coach who was forced to play teams with guys who were either playing injured or didnt want to be here and expect them to get the results? It is obvious the club has made a decision to move on and appoint a rookie coach but they really need to ensure that Toovey is treated with dignty, respect and a big thank you for keeping the team together after Dogler deserted us!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4