Buzz's Origin Wrap(sack snake)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Napper

Bencher
http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/phil-rothfield-reviews-the-nsw-blues-2012-origin-effort-and-looks-to-the-future/story-e6frexv9-1226418254078

Im on my phone someone copy/paste it plz.

Buzz has no idea what he is talking about!

Fullback is also a problem area for the Blues. Brett Stewart is always around to sniff out a try but the Maroons are smashing NSW for metres from kick returns. Greg Inglis made 212m. Stewart made only 77m. Hopefully, Josh Dugan can shake off his injuries and find some form next year.

- short version

Thats a hard stat to justify. The Queensland kicking game was really good, they found the grass a lot and pinned NSW down.
The NSW kicking game went directly to the fullback or winger 9 times out of 10, allowing them to make an easy 10 - 20m on nearly every kick return, it only takes a few of those to get the 200m

Comparing Inglis to Brett is difficult too, you have one of the biggest blokes out there who can easily break tackles, compared to one of the smaller quicker guys out there.

I prefer the Brett Stewart and Billy Slater style fullback rather than a big bloke who should really be in the back row

Oh he then went on to describe exactly what you said re: kicking - but did not draw any correlations between the 2 stats like you did.

I think he missed it.

He's an idiot. Its common knowledge Stewart is average in terms of kick returns.

Bowen
Slater
Stewart
Barba

^ the best support Fullbacks in the game and prob the only 4 players who would score that try off the Farah kick due to nothing more than explosive acceleration and the ability to, as he says 'sniff out a try'

Sadly for NSW, 3/4 of the players i mentioned are QLDers

Daniel said:
Thats a hard stat to justify. The Queensland kicking game was really good, they found the grass a lot and pinned NSW down.
The NSW kicking game went directly to the fullback or winger 9 times out of 10, allowing them to make an easy 10 - 20m on nearly every kick return, it only takes a few of those to get the 200m

Comparing Inglis to Brett is difficult too, you have one of the biggest blokes out there who can easily break tackles, compared to one of the smaller quicker guys out there.

I prefer the Brett Stewart and Billy Slater style fullback rather than a big bloke who should really be in the back row

Agree 100%. Dugan and Inglis are similar. As are Snake and Slater.

Buzz is a tool, but realistically I didn't think Snake had the best of origins. Saying that however, the two defeats were hardly his fault. I might have missed something but didn't he score a few tries? He has never been the best kick return fullback, but he rarely misses a try scoring op, and is a great defensive player. Inglis made so many more metres because of his ability to run at and push off the tacklers that Qld identified as weaknesses, mostly Carney and Pearce. Inglis had the world's best backline to run off as well. Interestingly that 'Buzz' doesn't identify Stuart as the weakest link when he had the selection and coaching duties.

I replyed with a comment but surprise surprise, it wont get published. Its pretty easy for Inglis to make metres when the NSW kickers are kicking it straight down his throat. Brett was made to work his way out of the corners as JT, Cronk and Smith's kicking game was far superior to ours. I really don't rate Dugan, he isnt the supporting type of fullback in attack, and his defence isnt great

Not to mention that two knee operations in two years has had an impact on his ability to stretch out.

Anyone else see the irony in Zorba's No.1 Bellylaugh mouthpiece bagging Stewart, when the Stewart family are on excellent terms with Zorba?

globaleagle said:
Oh he then went on to describe exactly what you said re: kicking - but did not draw any correlations between the 2 stats like you did.

I think he missed it.

Thats because it doesn't make a good story

Snake has never really been a great kick returner even prior to the injuries. He has other skills that weren't really utilised at Origin. I suppose you really need to be in the inner sanctum to find out who is to blame for that but it will either be the halves through their inability to use it, or the coach for this inability to structure some set plays specificially for Snake.

EagleRock40 said:
I replyed with a comment but surprise surprise, it wont get published. Its pretty easy for Inglis to make metres when the NSW kickers are kicking it straight down his throat. Brett was made to work his way out of the corners as JT, Cronk and Smith's kicking game was far superior to ours. I really don't rate Dugan, he isnt the supporting type of fullback in attack, and his defence isnt great

Rothfield's arch nemesis Phil Gould basically refuted the former's comments in his column today.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/queenslands-system-has-nsw-searching-20120705-21k6g.html

I actually suggested to Gus on twitter this for next year
1 brett
6 gifty
7 carney
9 farah

Nsw has heaps of good back rowers, we all know gifty plays like a 5/8 and the combination with Brett is deadly.

I think hayne needs to do more of the kicking he has the longest boot.

Bird went well as a 5/8 a few years back. That would allow for a ballplayer like Stewart to play in the backrow with a running second rower with possibly Carney at half.

It is hard to take anybody who calls for Kurt Gidley to get a start at 5/8th seriously...

Perhaps instead of NSW needing a new fullback, halfback and prop the article should be that the DT needs a new RL reporter.

Rothfield wants someone to return the ball like Inglis does. Who for NSW actually does that? Snake actually saved about 3 tries on Wednesday - twice stopping Inglis. He had a great series.

deja vu, wasn't it all Killers fault that NSW lost the games when he was playing. Then they are begging him to come back because he is the best centre NSW have.
Just ask buzz how many premierships his team have won vs how many our 'rubbish' fullback has won.

Rothfield rated Blake Ferguson a better player than Glenn Stewart a couple of years ago. I have reminded him a few times but I think he has me on ignore. The man is a fool.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6