BURNING QUESTIONS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Ryans post
http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/message-board-detail.asp?mbid=117155&s=0

1. Jamie Lyon: Centre or 5/8 2009?
5/8 definately , he will only get better
2. Chris Bailey: 5/8, Lock, Utility or Bench Backrower 2009?
Maybe he is lucky he was bought when he was before Lyon stepped up to show he can play pivot
3. Tony Williams: Starting backrower, winger, NYC or centre 2009?
I don't think Crusher or Des wanted him to for him to play in Qld
4. Michael Bani: 1st grade or reserve grade 2009?
Sorry Mick, if injury strikes you can have your spot back,
5. Heath Le'Strange: 1st grade or reserve grade given above 2009?
his interchange with Matt Balin was why we wnnt so well
6. Glenn Hall: Starting backrower or Bench Backrower 2009?
(proved to all he desrves to keep his spot)

For me:-

Lyon - 5/8
Bailey - Utility
Williams - Bench Backrower
Bani - Wing with Williams in at centre
Le'Strange - Reserve Grade (which Sux)
Hall - Starting backrower

My response

Grand final team

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Steven Bell (gone)
05. David Williams
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford
08. Brent Kite
09. Matt Ballin
10. Josh Perry
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Glenn Hall
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Heath L'Estrange
15. Mark Bryant (gone)
16. Jason King
17. Steve Menzies (gone)

the way I see it we have 3 players from the Grand final team gone so they need to be replaced

Cuthbo deserves and will fill 1 spot

players we purchased
Tony Williams
Chris Bailey
Shane Rodney

and other options
Jared Wearra-Hargreaves (could be a huge Bolter I think)
Vic Mauro
Mick Bani
Shane Neumann

so

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Tony Williams
05. David Williams
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford
08. Josh Perry
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Glenn Hall
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Heath L'Estrange
15. Adam Cuthbertson
16. Jason King
17. Jared Wearra-Hargreaves ( I reckon the kid will be ready)

Chris Baily & Shane Rodney will have to fight to get into the team I think
Vic Mauro, Mick Bani, Shane Neumann, George Rose will be thereabouts if injury hits

Oh and Trent Hogkinson and Keiren Foran just in case Ox goes down

thats my spin on 09

B Stewart
Bani
D Williams
Matai
Robertson
Lyon
Orford
Kite
Ballin
Perry
Hall
Watmough
G Stewart

LeStrange
King
Cuthbertson
T Williams

I am going to leave it to Des but I think what he does with Lyon will be very interesting - to me at 5/8 he was the difference this year.  Look at how OX & team played when he wasn't there...........

If you asked me rounds 1-10 this year who i wanted as 5/8th i would have said Bailey for sure. Im guilty as charged, i thought we would never win with Lyon at 5/8th.
Now i wouldn't have any other 5/8th ahead of Killer, apart from Lockyer. Bailey is a good ball runner, but doesn't have the kicking game, passing game, vision or speed to be a full time 5/8th

Bailey has a much better kicking game than lyon overall. Lyons best over the last few weeks/months is about par with bailey when on.

I'd play bailey at 5/8 to start, lyon in the centres and T Williams on the bench. Then we have the flexibilty to change it round. If it isnt working then we can shift after half a dozen rounds.

Bailey 5/8, Lyon back to his preferred position, centre.  Williams at lock.  I'd give Bani first go at wing, let 'cash happy' Williams fight for the spot and see what he has in him.

DSM5 link said:
Bailey 5/8, Lyon back to his preferred position, centre.  Williams at lock.  I'd give Bani first go at wing, let 'cash happy' Williams fight for the spot and see what he has in him.

**** me one quote from the media (not the player, who has been very mature about the situation and says he wants to stay) and you are ready to hang him out to dry. Another smite for you.

My Take:

1. T Williams is not a centre. He is a backrower.
2. Put D.Williams in the centres in the trials. If he takes to the role well it solves 2 problems for us. We get a new centre and he takes Bell's paycheck instead of paying overs for a winger.

My side would be:

Stewart
Robbo
Matai
Williams
Bani
Lyon
Orford
Kite
Ballin
Perry
Hall
Watmough
Stewart

Le Strange
T. Williams
King
Cuthbo

I like the look of that side Doug, bailey can take Willos spot at 18th man (but generally gets a game because of injury, suspension etc) - the key will be whether Williams can hack it in the centres

Yeah its a big question mark on him as we havent seen any ball skills from him at all.

If not I guess Bailey could always play in the centres. I'd be very hesitant to move Lyon back into the centres.

Clon, thanks for the smite, probably the only one deserved all year.  Now, why not put Lyon back in the centre?  Why hesitate?  That's his preferred position and he's deadly there.  His setting up of his outside backs and his defense is superb.  Bailey can catch and pass and kick, something Killer can't do.  Bailey is not a centre, maybe a lock, or hooker but I'd like to see him at 5/8 outside the little man. 

Lyon at 5/8 was one of the keys to us winning the comp this year. He needs more involvment than he would get at centre. Just my opinion

What's with the 'mate' Ryan.  You know Clon doesn't like you. 
Anyway, with Bell gone I can see our outside backs leaking tries.  Lyon is our best defender and will be needed as a centre closing down raids and helping out D Williams.  In 08 we had Bell and Beaver out there doing that job.    On current performance D Williams is not a centre, he didn't show an ability to read and adjust.  Bailey can be the 5/8 and catch and pass for Lyon to be creative.  T Williams in to lock.  He needs plenty of time on the paddock and not getting lazy on the bench. 

DSM5 link said:
What's with the 'mate' Ryan.  You know Clon doesn't like you. 
Anyway, with Bell gone I can see our outside backs leaking tries.  Lyon is our best defender and will be needed as a centre closing down raids and helping out D Williams.  In 08 we had Bell and Beaver out there doing that job.    On current performance D Williams is not a centre, he didn't show an ability to read and adjust.  Bailey can be the 5/8 and catch and pass for Lyon to be creative.  T Williams in to lock.  He needs plenty of time on the paddock and not getting lazy on the bench. 

I'd buy Rhino a beer any day of the week. To say I dont like him is simply wrong, but thats something you seem to be good at DSM5.

at first i was a big fan of Lyon to centre and Bailey to 5/8. But as the season grew on so did the combination of lyon orford and the rest of the team, as a result when lyon was injured at 5/8 we actually lost most of our games or performed badly.

So now i come to think why ruin a premiership winning combination which has grown over two years? it might take Bailey and Orford a while to "grow" this combination that lyon and orford have forged. What i came to realise was that Lyon was an excellent ball runner, and became a great playmaker through his hands, orford on the other hand complimented this via his great kicking ability.

Deadly, my take on the losses when Killer was out, was not that we lost an influential 5/8, it was his defense that was most sorely missed.  I won't slit my wrists whichever way it goes, but I'd like to see Des do some experimentation early in the season to see if or how Bailey and Orford click and to see if T Williams is up to the lock position.  I'd like an update on Bani's health now.  He was terrific before he got injured and could, if fit, put pressure on D Williams, or slot into the centre position.  I'd hate it if Bani faded into the Qld cup.  Pressure, always a healthy thing. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6