Burning Questions for 2014 - Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lismore_fan

Bencher
http://www.sportsfan.com.au/burning-questions-for-2014-sea-eagles/tabid/91/newsid/120672/default.aspx?cid=BP_RSS_SPORT_1_BurningQuestionsfor2014SeaEagles_220114

Questions for 2014: Sea Eagles
Brought to you by

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 3:01 PM
Source: SportsFan
Author: Glenn Valencich

Is this team sticking around?

Okay, so Manly reached the grand final and they didn't disgrace themselves either. But for so long they were considered too old and too broken to again challenge for the premiership. In parts of the season, this actually looked true. They had to wait until the penultimate round to defeat a fellow top-four outfit, topping Melbourne at Brookvale Oval after a 10-10 draw with the Storm in round 10 and going down to the Roosters and Rabbitohs twice.

The Sea Eagles showed steel in the finals though, coming up big against the Rabbitohs to win through to the big one. They didn't hand the trophy over to the Roosters either, showing there's plenty left in the tank despite the elderly feeling around the club. Halfback Daly Cherry-Evans had a career year under the guidance of Immortal Andrew Johns, and even coach Geoff Toovey would have been surprised at how much he got out of 2013 recruits Justin Horo, Brenton Lawrence and Tom Symonds.

Some of their best performers are or will be on the wrong side of 30 by the opening round, with the list including Anthony Watmough, Jason King (who only played four games in 2013), Jamie Lyon, Glenn Stewart and Matt Ballin. None of these players are at a point where they will be throwing in the towel, but there are a couple of replacements in the ranks.

Regardless, the Sea Eagles will be competing for the top prize once more. Toovey has surprised many after taking over from Des Hasler, and he will continue this trend with the Sea Eagles surely flying under the radar once again.

Do they have enough depth?

For the second season running, Manly's most important players appeared in the bulk of their matches. Of their starting side in the grand final against Sydney, only Brett Stewart played less than 20 matches in the campaign. It was a massive effort from their leading stars. Even Steve Matai managed to last 27 games, those shoulders seemingly stronger than ever.

James Hasson, Tom Symonds and recruit Dunamis Lui will be set for a boost in matches with the departures of David Gower, club legend Brent Kite, cult figure George Rose and Joe Galuvao while King will return from injury. Richie Fa'aoso would have been in line for more matches, but his broken neck and a number of criminal charges have clouded his future. Jake Trbojevic, who will turn 20 in February, could fill that gap if needed.

Peta Hiku and new signing Cheyse Blair will again cover the backs, but Toovey could do worse than blood the former for a permanent spot in the line-up alongside fellow young gun Jorge Taufua. And that's what 2014 will be for the Sea Eagles. Should their experienced heads help the team settle in the eight, Toovey will have some wiggle room around the Origin period to give these youngsters some confidence. Ignore these players that need to step up, and 2015 could be looking fairly bleak.

Who tops the try-scoring charts?

With Taufua and the Wolfman both racking up 20 tries in 2013, the smart money would be on another bustling effort from the wingers. There's no doubt they'll keep their spots in the line-up, but what of a rejuvenated Brett Stewart? Without the hamstring injury that troubled him for much of the season, the No.1 should find that sense of freedom that he was forcing through late last year.

We'll rule out Matai from the running, but his consistency should see him easily reach double figures again in 2014. Lyon is a chance because he just knows where to be, but he could be one that Toovey decides to rotate out of the squad for Hiku and Blair, given his age.

The fact is, Taufua and Williams are in the box seat to repeat their 2013 effort. Cherry-Evans isn't going anywhere, nor is Kieran Foran, so their attacking weapons will get just as much service as in the past. In fact, we're more interested in watching the hat-trick race. Both wingers scored two apiece in 2013, their hunger for the ball unmatched in the Sea Eagles squad.

lismore_fan said:
http://www.sportsfan.com.au/burning-questions-for-2014-sea-eagles/tabid/91/newsid/120672/default.aspx?cid=BP_RSS_SPORT_1_BurningQuestionsfor2014SeaEagles_220114

Brought to you by

Okay, so Manly reached the grand final and they didn't disgrace themselves either. But for so long they were considered too old and too broken to again challenge for the premiership. In parts of the season, this actually looked true. They had to wait until the penultimate round to defeat a fellow top-four outfit, topping Melbourne at Brookvale Oval after a 10-10 draw with the Storm in round 10 and going down to the Roosters and Rabbitohs twice.

The Sea Eagles showed steel in the finals though, coming up big against the Rabbitohs to win through to the big one. They didn't hand the trophy over to the Roosters either, showing there's plenty left in the tank despite the elderly feeling around the club. Halfback Daly Cherry-Evans had a career year under the guidance of Immortal Andrew Johns, and even coach Geoff Toovey would have been surprised at how much he got out of 2013 recruits Justin Horo, Brenton Lawrence and Tom Symonds.

Some of their best performers are or will be on the wrong side of 30 by the opening round, with the list including Anthony Watmough, Jason King (who only played four games in 2013), Jamie Lyon, Glenn Stewart and Matt Ballin. None of these players are at a point where they will be throwing in the towel, but there are a couple of replacements in the ranks.

Regardless, the Sea Eagles will be competing for the top prize once more. Toovey has surprised many after taking over from Des Hasler, and he will continue this trend with the Sea Eagles surely flying under the radar once again.

For the second season running, Manly's most important players appeared in the bulk of their matches. Of their starting side in the grand final against Sydney, only Brett Stewart played less than 20 matches in the campaign. It was a massive effort from their leading stars. Even Steve Matai managed to last 27 games, those shoulders seemingly stronger than ever.

James Hasson, Tom Symonds and recruit Dunamis Lui will be set for a boost in matches with the departures of David Gower, club legend Brent Kite, cult figure George Rose and Joe Galuvao while King will return from injury. Richie Fa'aoso would have been in line for more matches, but his broken neck and a number of criminal charges have clouded his future. Jake Trbojevic, who will turn 20 in February, could fill that gap if needed.

Peta Hiku and new signing Cheyse Blair will again cover the backs, but Toovey could do worse than blood the former for a permanent spot in the line-up alongside fellow young gun Jorge Taufua. And that's what 2014 will be for the Sea Eagles. Should their experienced heads help the team settle in the eight, Toovey will have some wiggle room around the Origin period to give these youngsters some confidence. Ignore these players that need to step up, and 2015 could be looking fairly bleak.

With Taufua and the Wolfman both racking up 20 tries in 2013, the smart money would be on another bustling effort from the wingers. There's no doubt they'll keep their spots in the line-up, but what of a rejuvenated Brett Stewart? Without the hamstring injury that troubled him for much of the season, the No.1 should find that sense of freedom that he was forcing through late last year.

We'll rule out Matai from the running, but his consistency should see him easily reach double figures again in 2014. Lyon is a chance because he just knows where to be, but he could be one that Toovey decides to rotate out of the squad for Hiku and Blair, given his age.

The fact is, Taufua and Williams are in the box seat to repeat their 2013 effort. Cherry-Evans isn't going anywhere, nor is Kieran Foran, so their attacking weapons will get just as much service as in the past. In fact, we're more interested in watching the hat-trick race. Both wingers scored two apiece in 2013, their hunger for the ball unmatched in the Sea Eagles squad.
If Lyons doesn't play Manly will find it hard, he is the Backbone of the team and a Very Smart Footy Player. Trbojevic, is a Great Talent and has Speed, but for 1sts he is best suited as a Backrower, I don't think he is Big Enough as Prop, he needs to Practice Off Loading as he can get into the habit of Hogging and Missed Opportunities have happened Outwide. You can play 1sts at 18. I am very keen on watching some of Manly's New Forwards in the Trials to see how they go.

Eagle Rock said:
lismore_fan said:
If Lyons doesn't play Manly will find it hard, he is the Backbone of the team and a Very Smart Footy Player. Trbojevic, is a Great Talent and has Speed, but for 1sts he is best suited as a Backrower, I don't think he is Big Enough as Prop, he needs to Practice Off Loading as he can get into the habit of Hogging and Missed Opportunities have happened Outwide. You can play 1sts at 18. I am very keen on watching some of Manly's New Forwards in the Trials to see how they go.

I thought Cliffy retired years ago.

Was a great player and when I watch him in replays he brings back a lot of great memories.:shy:

Daddycool08 said:
Eagle Rock said:
lismore_fan said:

I thought Cliffy retired years ago.

Was a great player and when I watch him in replays he brings back a lot of great memories.:shy:

Hahaha, Jamie Lyon Is the Man, but Manly might need Cliffy If Cherry Evans gets hurt !

Rotate Jamie Lyon out of the team?? Some of what was written here made sense, but I'd be hugely surprised (and disappointed) in Toovey if he rotated out the reigning 3 time International Centre of the Year. The man who has won the Dally M Centre of the Year 3 times out of the last 4 years. The man who is constantly implored to rescind his retirement to play for NSW. The man who at 0-14 against Souths stood behind the goal posts and delivered a spray to the boys that made them go 'holy moly, Killer is upset and also believes we can win from here!!' result a 30 consecutive points and a ticket to the Grand Final.

Basically our Captain Fantastic!

I don't think we need to rotate out players given Origin (DCE), Injuries (Snake wont play all games) and suspension (yes Matai I'm talking about you! Not whingeing mind you....in fact I absolutely love it!)

I think Wolfman may be under massive pressure from Gutherson this year and Tooves will find it very difficult to not select Gutherson.

The Cellist Remember that orchestra kid on the bus that had to lug that huge cello to and from school? Say hello to his mother. cellist haircut

Read more at: http://www.heavy.com/entertainment/2013/02/the-20-worst-haircuts-vol-2/

Killer03 said:
Rotate Jamie Lyon out of the team??

I think this is as likely as Souths rotating Inglis out of the team, or the Roosters doing the same with SBW...

Maybe he just threw that part in the article to check if we were all still reading?

rmd said:
I think Wolfman may be under massive pressure from Gutherson this year and Tooves will find it very difficult to not select Gutherson.

More pressure from Hiku who needs to be in FG somewhere and Blair who is tall and fast with mongrel

rmd said:

or Hiku, after what he's shown he'd be a starter at most other clubs by now

tookey said:
rmd said:

More pressure from Hiku who needs to be in FG somewhere and Blair who is tall and fast with mongrel
Gutherson, Is not a Winger and hasn't got the Explosive Speed to be playing there. He also need to Bulk up More to be a Regular 1st Grader as well. Hiku is a much better player.

lismore_fan said:

Brought to you by

The player I would be Rotating is Glen Stewart, I am a Big Fan of Symonds and preferring him over Glen Stewart. I would have him in my starting Side. Love to see more of this kid play and Certainly has Rep Potential.

Snake is the one that needs to have a rotation schedule with Peta to save his hamstring :angel:

Stevie too has been so well controlled of late, that we can't rely on suspensions giving his body a rest.:)

Hopefully the Benchwarmers get more game time this year to give the regulars a breather :idea:

It would be ridiculous to have Killer rotated.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6