Bulldog Hodkinson ready for Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagle007

Reserve Grader
Bulldog Hodkinson ready for Manly return Ben Horne SMH
August 16, 2011 - 6:49PM

AAP

Canterbury halfback Trent Hodkinson is preparing for the game of his life on Sunday when he comes up against former NRL club Manly for the first time.

The Bulldogs must topple the second-placed Sea Eagles to remain in the hunt for the finals, and the stage is set for Hodkinson to produce something special in his return to a hostile Brookvale Oval.

The 22-year-old was one of the rookies of the year last season when he burst onto the scene for the Sea Eagles.

Advertisement: Story continues below But after steering Manly into the top eight, he jumped ship to the Bulldogs and, since then, the Sea Eagles have incredibly uncovered another boom No.7 in Daly Cherry-Evans.

Hodkinson admits the Sea Eagles have gone to another level since he was wearing maroon and white, and is relishing the chance to take on his former understudy Cherry-Evans and, in the process, keep the Bulldogs playoff hopes on the boil.

"I think they've gone to another level this year. They're just playing consistent good footy and it's going to take someone special to stop them but, hopefully, this week we can ... play like our season is on the line," Hodkinson told AAP.

"It's going to be a big game. They're on fire at the moment, especially at Brookie I'll probably cop a bit of slack off the faithful out there, so it's going to be interesting.

"It's a bit of desperation with the season being on the line and, hopefully, it takes us to another level."

The Sea Eagles were sorry to have lost Hodkinson, who broke into the City Origin team in his debut season but, 12 months on, they wouldn't trade Cherry-Evans for anyone.

Quality young halfbacks are a rarity in the modern game, but Manly managed to hit the jackpot in back-to-back seasons.

Hodkinson said Cherry-Evans deserved to take out the NRL's Rookie of the Year mantle, but hopes his time on the northern peninsula might give the Bulldogs some insight into how to put a spanner in the Manly machine.

"Maybe, we'll see how we go. When the video sessions come up, I'll have my two bobs to say in there," he said.

"They've obviously changed a fair bit from last year to this year so I'm not sure (I know Cherry-Evans' game that well). He's definitely going good, Chez, and he's playing with confidence which is good to see.

"He's done his apprenticeship and he's come through this year and he's killing it.

"I think (he will win rookie of the year) ... either him or Tariq Sims but, being a young halfback, it's not the easiest thing coming up and telling the older fellas what to do."

This will be interesting as it will be the 1st time they come up against each other (DCE&DOG).. Hodgo probably thinks he as the wood on DCE ..

I don't wamt to sound too confident but i can see us flogging the bulldogs. Especially without Prickchard!

If memory serves me correctly, when Lyon played his first game at P/matta after coming to Manly didn't the P/matta fans throw coins on the field in Lyon's direction?

eagle-rock08 said:
If memory serves me correctly, when Lyon played his first game at P/matta after coming to Manly didn't the P/matta fans throw coins on the field in Lyon's direction?

Yes one of the lowest acts I have ever seen

eagle-rock08 said:

Why bother? Tinman won't care so why acknowledge his existence?

eagle-rock08 said:

It was in 2008 that the coin thing blew up at Parra stadium. Willo was hit in the head with one.

The SMH sports section on the monday had a pic on its cover page of Lyon scoring a try and Beaver celebrating behind him. The headline read: "Lyon's a banker"

I still have that somewhere put away....but Jamie's first season for us was in 2007 I think.... if memory serves me correctly :angel:

brookiegreg said:
eagle-rock08 said:

It was in 2008 that the coin thing blew up at Parra stadium. Willo was hit in the head with one.

The SMH sports section on the monday had a pic on its cover page of Lyon scoring a try and Beaver celebrating behind him. The headline read: "Lyon's a banker"

I still have that somewhere put away....but Jamie's first season for us was in 2007 I think.... if memory serves me correctly :angel:

The coin throwing was 2007.

Coin throwing was definitely 2007, was an awesome game of footy too, Stewart made the best try saving tackle I have ever seen on PJ Marsh

2008 at Parra was 1 of the seasons best wins, finished the match with 12 fit players, can still picture Bryant hobbling back returning a kickoff

Kiwi Eagle said:
Coin throwing was definitely 2007, was an awesome game of footy too, Stewart made the best try saving tackle I have ever seen on PJ Marsh

2008 at Parra was 1 of the seasons best wins, finished the match with 12 fit players, can still picture Bryant hobbling back returning a kickoff

OK boys I stand corrected :D

In fact I just dug out the SMH page and you're right, the game was sunday 29th July 2007

and a link to foxsports report and pic:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/hungry-lyon-has-last-laugh/story-e6frf3ru-1111114066090

I not too worried about pritchard if he plays,he rarely strings 2 good games together,its Romelo who is back this game who likes to target players as well,remember minichello a couple of weeks back,the forwards will need to protect our halves

Back on Hodkinson, in that article he actually speaks highly of Manly and DCE, every quote he says we have gone to a new level, Cherry going good etc.

he doesnt bag the club at all, that was the writer of the story, of course he says he is going to try and win, thats what hes paid to do...

I dont have the same hate for him as a lot of others, he played all right for us, he got a better offer, he moved. Cherry Evans filled the gap, and is a better player, but is also playing in a better team.

Fro said:
Back on Hodkinson, in that article he actually speaks highly of Manly and DCE, every quote he says we have gone to a new level, Cherry going good etc.

he doesnt bag the club at all, that was the writer of the story, of course he says he is going to try and win, thats what hes paid to do...

I dont have the same hate for him as a lot of others, he played all right for us, he got a better offer, he moved. Cherry Evans filled the gap, and is a better player, but is also playing in a better team.

That makes too much sense to be posted on here

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4