Bulldog comes home: McGlinchy returns to Eagles Nest

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
THE Sea Eagles have struck back at arch-rivals Canterbury by pinching promising international centre Dean McGlinchy from the Bulldogs' kennel.

The powerhouse 22-year-old Avalon junior who is in the Italian rugby league World Cup squad has returned home to the northern beaches after the last three years at Belmore and could prove a surprise packet next season.

McGlinchy's signing comes after Canterbury poached a number of Sea Eagles staff following Des Hasler's defection to Belmore.

``It is good to be back, I feel revitalised and this is like a fresh new start,'' McGlinchy told the Manly Daily.

``And it's only a short drive from Avalon down to Narrabeen after driving for an hour to get to Belmore.''

While McGlinchy enjoyed his time at the Bulldogs, he has always been a peninsula boy at heart.

``I've lived at Avalon since I was born and it's good to be back in the community,'' he said.

He started playing for the local footy team when he was six and stayed there until he was 16.

He was a member of the Sea Eagles under-17 development squad and was set to play SG Ball with Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran and Darcy Lussick before breaking his hand.

McGlinchy then spent two years with the Tigers SG Ball side before spending three years with the Bulldogs NSW Cup squad.

While he will start in the NSW Cup side, McGlinchy's goal is to crack the NRL squad.

``I'm pretty committed at the moment. I've been doing extra training on my own as well as the sessions with Manly,'' he said.

`` I feel really settled in.''

McGlinchy qualified for the Italian side through his mother who is Italian-German and he he recently played against Fiji.

Sea Eagles head strength and conditioning guru Don Singe is excited about the potential he sees in McGlinchy.

''Physically Dean is a beast,'' Singe said.

``He is a big strong, fast, aggressive player and he obviously works hard himself.

``I will train him for repeat ability so that he is like a Steve Matai and can just go again and again.''

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/bulldog-comes-home-mcglinchy-returns-to-eagles-nest/

e9d7382b9352305a5e9d4a5bd2521570_resized.jpg

Can't say I am excited about someone who has been at 3 clubs (and now back to the first) by age 22 tbh.

Cynical, MM

Are you saying he is a has-been or a never-will just because he hasn't cracked it yet? There are many players who have become stars after that age. I like it that Singe is training him to be like a Steve Matai. The mind boggles.

MadMarcus said:
Can't say I am excited about someone who has been at 3 clubs (and now back to the first) by age 22 tbh.

Would you be excited if we signed Israel Folau?

MadMarcus said:

Jamie Lyon was at a few clubs early in his career & he's turned out ok for Manly I think?

Give the kid a chance!

Sign 'em all I say!

Good job.

Sounds like Donny is working him over like a ledger in a tax audit.

Blowfly said:
MadMarcus said:

Jamie Lyon was at a few clubs early in his career & he's turned out ok for Manly I think?

Give the kid a chance!

No problem at all about giving the kid a chance, as he would be on a minimal contract.
Lyon has been all class since day one, and for every club he played for.

Look, minimal contract, as it's said,big and fast, why not? Kid might realise this is it and playing with home team may be the spur to step up.

I got to meet this kid 2 weeks ago. He is a big guy.
6"3 and 110klo. He could play 2nd row or even prop later.
It is good to see a local Jr back and getting a shot.
Don singe seems to think he has a lot of potential.
We have been good at getting young talent in and fine tuning them into good footballers.

Great to bring back the local Juniors.:angel:

This kiddie looks nice and tall, like the rest of the newbies.

In the mid 90s, when we had this kind of physique in most of the forward pack - Manly were awesome:shy:

P.S. I for one would not want Izzy or SBW.
Rather witness the evolution of Players like Cliffy,Wolfie... in the Manly environment, which suits the creative ones.

MadMarcus said:

Tony Williams would be almost the same next year.

B K was at a number of clubs and came to us older than 22 I seem to remember MM. I like the idea of getting in some big young guys to train up to possible front rowers. Good signing, and a local guy. Excellent.

McGlinchy played a fair bit of this season in the Bundy Cup from what I can see but as he is back in the nest, I will be supporting him and hoping he cracks the top grade in a couple of seasons.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Cynical, MM

Fair call.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Are you saying he is a has-been or a never-will just because he hasn't cracked it yet?

No. I just feel that, whether he cracks it or not, at the end of his contract his track record would suggest that he is just as likely to leave as he is to stay.

bones said:
Would you be excited if we signed Israel Folau?

I would have mixed feelings if we signed Folau to be honest. Obviously he is a great talent, but you couldn't count on him sticking around for long and I hate it when players leave.

Blowfly said:

As far as I know Lyon only played at Parra in the NRL and he had good reasons for leaving.

Ryan said:
Tony Williams would be almost the same next year.

Maybe he will end up back at Parra next contract?

DSM5 said:
B K was at a number of clubs and came to us older than 22 I seem to remember MM.

3 clubs over a whole career is different to 3 clubs by age 22. If this kid keeps changing clubs at this rate he will have played at every club in the NRL if his career goes for as long as BKs.

I do accept that players move around and if he is playing for Manly I will support him.

I guess the thing that got up my nose is lines such as "he has always been a peninsula boy at heart". His playing history would suggest otherwise.

MadMarcus said:
3 clubs over a whole career is different to 3 clubs by age 22. If this kid keeps changing clubs at this rate he will have played at every club in the NRL if his career goes for as long as BKs.

I do accept that players move around and if he is playing for Manly I will support him.

I guess the thing that got up my nose is lines such as "he has always been a peninsula boy at heart". His playing history would suggest otherwise.

Mate a bit unfair. Our squad has been so strong over the last 5 years.

3 grand finals and a strong playing group in tact. He was up against a great group of kids coming through. Add an injury at 18 and what can he do to keep playing. (go to other clubs)

The big guys never play really good football until late. I think he is a good add to N S W cup and hope he plays first grade.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4