Buhrer or Horo? Who makes way for Symonds?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not sold on Horo yet but Buhrer has not really kicked on. I think it's probably a toss of the coin. Although we will have injuries so both will see plenty of NRL.

My recollection of Horo as an Eel was of a podgy fellow with spindly legs. Sitting close to the side line last night he is cut from marble. Donny Singe has done a fine job with his chisel. Buhrer to the bench.

Napper said:
Buhrer's another victim of a premature N.S.W jersey i think.

Wallace
Turner
T-Rex( went well in 2011, done nothing since S.O.O last yr)

Im sure there are plenty more.

Buhrer will come good, just needs a few more kgs to keep playing in the back row although he should come off the bench into hooker where his speed from dummy half makes a real impact on tired defence.

Anyone making a NSW debut since 2005 fits the bill really.

Buhrer get's manhandled too easily and gets thrown around like a ragdoll, he has to come off the bench.
He can play a few positions as well he's a handy utility.

Can't believe the criticism of Buhrer. He is playing a different role atm. If you think you can just swap Symonds and you get him doing what Buhrers doing, but only better than you are greatly under estimating what Buhrer is doing for us. Jamie is doing a lot of clean up work (3rd in tackles) and is our leading ball carrier in the forwards (only Jorge has more carries). His roll when carrying the ball isn't necessarily great metres, its a good quick play the ball which the next blokes capitalises off. He is just about always the first forward to take a hit up after an opponents clearing kick, meaning he is working his butt off to get there and its his good work which plays a part in us getting out of our own end. He also gets in there and runs from dummy half as well as filling in for Ballin on occasions. Buhrer is avg 32 tackles and about 90m per game so far this year.

I like Symonds, but as of right now he has only made 19 tackles and 10 runs in 2 games, and most of that time he's been out in the centres. He potentially could take Jamies spot but its a real small sample size with what he's done to say just dump Buhrer for him because I don't think Symonds is yet capable of doing the same kind of work.

We should be 3 from 3, bar some silly errors on the weekend (of which a Symonds drop in the play ball was one of the more crucial ones). I don't think we are going OK and I'm sure the work Buhrer is doing isn't going unnoticed by Toovs or his teammates.

It isn't a matter of dumping him ME. I'm a fan and second phase running an angle is his best. I suggested he might shine in the 13. I love all the clean up work and the fact that he has the fitness for 80. But if he keeps up the kamikazi runs up the guts he won't last the season. Even I am thinking his best spot now is off the bench.

ManlyBacker said:
It isn't a matter of dumping him ME. I'm a fan and second phase running an angle is his best. I suggested he might shine in the 13. I love all the clean up work and the fact that he has the fitness for 80. But if he keeps up the kamikazi runs up the guts he won't last the season. Even I am thinking his best spot now is off the bench.

I'm not saying he's been killing it. To be honest I hoped that angle running you mentioned was going to be a feature, but I don't blame him. I just don't think he is being used that way. I think he's gone to do some of the work that Choc was doing last year to cover for T-Rex. What Buhrer has been doing has allowed Choc to get back to a more offensive game and I think we'll see the benefits of that over the course of the season.

My gripe is with posters who seem to think Buhrer hasn't been performing, and that suddenly replacing him with Tom Symonds will turn us into premiership favs. As I said, I'm happy with Symonds and think he's done well, but he actually hasn't done alot outside of the try and one half break. Symonds wasn't known for a huge workrate at the Roosters and to think he could just easily do what Buhrer is doing isn't realistic as far as I'm concerned.

This time last year jimy was playing left edge running off foz' he played his was into rep sides. The right hand side is new to him. But he has lots of guts for a kid that is 94kgs ringing wet and his defence is spot on. Ps one thing jamie buhrer can not do is cut hair.poor cherry

Against Tigers. Horo 80 min 18 tackles , 58 meters , 3 missed tackles.
Buhrer only 28 min , 17 tackles , 105 meters, no missed tackles.
Justin is goin g to have to pick up his game when Gift comes back in. This is so good to see the pressure on these guys to just hold a spot in the team.
King first game back 40 minutes , 99 meters , 24 tackles , no misses or errors.

If Gift were to come back this friday then you would have to say that Horo should be the man to make way. Good, hard working toiler style second rower, but doesn't offer as much as Buhrer or Symonds.

I like Horo, but he seems like a fairly limited player. More effort than talent, which isn't a bad thing but it shouldn't push him ahead of Symonds & Buhrer.

People in the media that were saying we lack depth just didnt take a proper analysis of our team. I don't think most expected Horo, Lawrence or Symonds to do well let alone start for us in the absence of King and Stewart. Now it's apparent that our forwards have great depth and are one of the best in the competition. When Stewart comes back we will be forced to drop a good player to NSW Cup to accommodate him. It's a tough call but either Horo,Symonds or Galuvao will miss out as Buhrer will most likely be bench utility. I personally think Horo may be the unlucky one but there is still a few weeks to go before Gifty returns so things could change. Ive actually liked what Horo has shown so far. Symonds has been great since he has come in and gives us our T Rex replacement but also has work ethic and effort. Big Joe is a the perfect impact player who brings energy on attack and D and experience off the bench. Richie also brings that instant impact with his straight running and big hitting. A great position for our team to be in as this depth is perfect for when injuries inevitably hit. Also it ensures that no spot in the 17 is garunteed and has to be earned by consistently performing otherwise replacements are at hand. And to think we still have some young talent in the u20s and quality players in the NSW Cup side that could step up yet. Fingers crossed whe don't have to test our depth to much this season, but good to know it's there.

I'm thinking 2V might do a rotation type plan with the bench (Please nothing like the cricket team though). With S.O.O and injuries they will all get a good crack at playing firsts but when everyone is fit I'd say Joe,Horo,Gower,Sene will all get some NSW cup time.
Starting backrow Tom,Choc,Gift.
I'd say Lawrence,Fa'aoso,Buhrer will hold their bench spots if fit.

When we first got horo I recalled him been a deceptively quick gap running 2nd rower. We haven't really seen that for him yet, although he runs some awesome decoy lines, it's only a matter of time till fozzy starts hitting him with short balls.

We haven't seen all that horo has to offer attack wise, but I agree that Symonds has the goods, buhrer has been a bit down on form for me this year. But I'm hoping he hits form.

This has been the best start Manly has had for a while to a season. their looking great. Keep the pack as it is and let the old farts earn their spots again. I would put Lawrence to king as King last year looked puffed out and not as fit as he used to. Buhrer has been excellent also.

The forwards look great in fact the best depth I have seen in a long while it's the backs that worry me. Not because of ability but depth. Injury to any one of them and we get tested severely. The halves,centers and fullback are irreplaceable. Any one of them go down for a serious length of time and we will struggle.

Ferris stays as the utility. He is a proper rugby league player not an athlete and covers so many situations with his versatility. In a couple of years he will be our starting hooker and NSW's as well. To play as well as he has and being the size he is means he is smart. Horo and Symonds will push each other all year which is good. Our backs will be fine Esi tonga is no slouch and Guyherson will het a few cracks with injury and origin. It's not for us to worry about. It's such a good position to be in when there is such quality not getting a start.

Best thing is only we know about it cause the media are lazy. I can't believe they have all followed the 'Manly have no depth and an aging roster trend'. It sells papers but it just isn't true.

We lost Lussick Harris TRex LFoz and Mauro. HopJu will be back next year in the centres when Killer takes some big dosh somewhere else and we will all be sad to see that but keeping Cherry and Foz togegher might mean losing our captains (when can King go to England?). This year premiership. Next year repeat. I have watched the storm and the dogs and the bunnies but none of them have any pure football in them like we do. Just well coached

I like that Toovey dropped Buhrer back to the bench - mainly because it demonstrates he is not going to rigidly stick to any one plan.

All players are really on notice that performances will count towards selection. This is a great situation and a different one from what we've seen in recent years when we didn't really have the depth or competition for spots.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2