Budget 2014 - Brookvale Oval

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This is a real gripe of mine.

Every region in metropolitan Sydney has a stadium that has been either built in the last 20 years or has been significantly upgraded. Except the northern beaches. And it's just wrong.

We all love Brookie. I get it. I love it too. The hill is a great place to watch a game. And the atmosphere is unparalleled. But the bog that we saw Friday and the patchwork nature of the stands is not worthy of the best club in the competition.

We don't want ANZ. We don't want Allianz. They're too big (ANZ) or transport is utter crap (Allianz). Brookvale needs upgrading. The people of the northern beaches have been given the mushroom treatment for way too long.

In terms of government expenditure, 40 million is a pittance. Time for Mike and Tony to do what's right.

Jono said:
Mike Baird has been Premier for only a couple of months. Settle down. The budget for this year also hasn't been set down yet, and it would look really dodgy if he put 10 million in straight after becoming Premier. Reality is, he needs to get re-elected and with all the corruption stuff going on, its going to be difficult.

As Kerry Sibraa said in Melbourne, there are plans in place that are moving forward, where the State Government, the NRL, Warringah Council and the club are all involved. Lets see what happens there first. We have $10 million atm, lets spend that while we get the rest before Tony Abbott takes it off the table.

He was treasurer before that, someone who has equal influence if not greater on the budget.

Seems a common excuse, give them time.

As you say he is more interested in getting re-elected than doing what is right for the area.

Now is the time Mike. He's not known for having a wait and see approach. He'll either do it or he won't.

I agree with the consensus here of course, but I also feel money needs to be found to returf our (embarrassing) playing surface.

Conditions are equal for any two teams out there, but everyone deserves an oval worthy of these fine athletes (not to forget the potential for injury on a bog like that ) too.

I hope we never sell our soul and abandon Brookie. It's just long overdue and worthy of significant refurbishment.

RiverEagle said:
I agree with the consensus here of course, but I also feel money needs to be found to returf our (embarrassing) playing surface.

Conditions are equal for any two teams out there, but everyone deserves an oval worthy of these fine athletes (not to forget the potential for injury on a bog like that ) too.

I hope we never sell our soul and abandon Brookie. It's just long overdue and worthy of significant refurbishment.

It's not a case of returfing the surface, it's completely overhauling the drainage is what the problem is, that is where the real expense is.

They re did all the drainage a few years back. But as Warringah Council wants it run down and empty, I can't see any more ratepayer monies being spent on it.

The NYC should have been cancelled :sleepy:

But as a spectator, I loved the muddy Players ripping in. So nostalgic and manly ;)

Peter C said:
RiverEagle said:

It's not a case of returfing the surface, it's completely overhauling the drainage is what the problem is, that is where the real expense is.

Yeah I wondered about that too, thanks Pete.

Doing either (drainage upgrade or re visiting) or returfing with a more durable turf wouldn't hurt.

Both would be great, but costly, of course.

Would be interested to know what type of grass is on Brookie, if anyone knows.

Agree @HappilyManly it's a blast from the past to see the gladiators in the mud ( or do you just have a ''dirty '' mind there...?)

HappilyManly said:
But as a spectator, I loved the muddy Players ripping in. So nostalgic and manly ;)

Same here HM :)

We all better pray the North Harbour Rays decide to play their home games at Brookie. Their decision will be made shortly and if they go with Brookie we should get a re rating to tier one stadium status which will attract adequate funding from state govt to get the upgrades we need. It would also help massively if the CCM A-league side would also play a couple of home games there also. They should be doing a reciprocal members deal with us for games at Bluetongue and Brookie.

The Mariners get 12-13 home games a season. They could move two games to Brookie, and we keep our two games at Gosford. Andconsidering the A-League is played during the summer, Brookie would be used all year round which will further warrant an upgrade.

ManlyArmy said:
The Mariners get 12-13 home games a season. They could move two games to Brookie, and we keep our two games at Gosford. Andconsidering the A-League is played during the summer, Brookie would be used all year round which will further warrant an upgrade.

Mariners looking at moving a game to Brookie and the other to NSO

Just a quick observation but I'm fairly sure that NSO & Brookie don't meet FFA standards, especially in regards to ticketed seating.

CCM playing at NSO was a result of Charlesworth coming in & bull rushing a lot of parties. Didn't make a lot of friends doing things the way he did & I wouldn't be suprised to not see CCM playing that close to Sydney again. I wouldn't particularly want to see Manly associating with Charlesworth anyway, he's always come across as very underhanded.

Brooky is a quagmire ! No drainage poor soil structure, looks like a mix of rye grass! It's second rate at best that surface ! Who does the maintenance on the surface ? The council? Wouldn't suprise me! The whole surface needs to be renovated in the off season, it's a dead set WH&S hazard ! Sure back In the day it was acceptable, but when you have blokes on upwards of 700-800 a year running around on a surface like that it's borderline insanity !

ManlyArmy said:

You couldn't play soccer on the surface as it is. It needs to be far more even. It'd drive the players nuts bobbling all over the joint.

I liked the mud. It was an x-factor we don't see enough. Didn't seem to affect the quality.

Obviously not ideal week-in, week-out. Perhaps shouldn't have run the U20s on the night but even in the disrepair the ground is generally in, it's been a rarity to see it in that condition.

There was far too much space on the Hill for my liking on Friday night. I could swing a cat & barely brush anyone. Supporters (even Members) obviously frightened away by the bad Friday weather despite no rain falling during the game. We need to start spending some of the $10m grant, even if it's for make-shift tarpaulins on the Hill ;)

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6