Budget 2014 - Brookvale Oval

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Jono said:
As Kerry Sibraa said in Melbourne, the $10 million will be spent on a 1500 seat stand behind the hill on the 50m line. It will be built like a Meccano set, with the idea being that when we get the next 10 million, we'll add on to it until the stand covers behind the whole hill. I think this is the best way to do it. It will look ugly for a while with a little stand in the middle of nowhere, but its our best option until the NRL and the State come to the party

Can't be as ugly as Shark Park's Eastern Side.

Jono said:
As Kerry Sibraa said in Melbourne, the $10 million will be spent on a 1500 seat stand behind the hill on the 50m line. It will be built like a Meccano set, with the idea being that when we get the next 10 million, we'll add on to it until the stand covers behind the whole hill. I think this is the best way to do it. It will look ugly for a while with a little stand in the middle of nowhere, but its our best option until the NRL and the State come to the party

Sort like the way Perth Oval developed from the time the Glory moved there. An old AFL ground that saw a portion turned into a rectangular playing area, with temp seating making up two sides for many years. As more cash became available, they completed the works with permanent stands.

It's better than nothing.

Christol74 said:
Does anyone know if the $10,000,000 Abbott promised for Brooky before the election is actually in the budget? I haven't seen or heard anything about it yet.

Our Number 1 ticket holder has been the member for Warringah now for over 20 yrs including 12 in Government and in that time has given us nine tenths of diddly squat so I'm not exactly holding my breath.

You've gone silent all of a sudden.

Fluffy said:
Have we got the money or is it still just a promise

It's in the budget papers per the link in the thread. The only way it will be stopped is if the "financial genius's" in Labor & the Greens block it.

I'd be happy to see a stand with 1500 seats built behind the hill. Would mean an increase in capacity plus could then be added to over time. Better than other cosmetic changes that have eaten up previous grants.

Ralphie said:
Fluffy said:
Have we got the money or is it still just a promise

It's in the budget papers per the link in the thread. The only way it will be stopped is if the "financial genius's" in Labor & the Greens block it.

Well given where Brookvale is, I'd have my money on them doing exactly that.

Surely, there's some netball club in Doonside that needs some money to resurface their courts.

Thanks Joey!

Joey Johns just now on the Sunday Footy Show had a bit of a go at the Brookie field and facilities but finished with Brookie needing Government funding (not playing somewhere else) and a smile and everyone chuckled.

A lot of people watch, great to see Joey help in his way, as well as deflect the conversation away from stadium talk.

Well I think Fri night showed to all that this is no longer good enough. You cannot allow professional highly paid athletes in a nationally televised high rating timeslot to play a game on that bog. The NRL, Ch 9 and sponsors would not and should not be happy to have their product shown in that condition. It was appalling to allow those players to have to play in that. It causes injuries and just lacks any profession. This is a disgrace that this has been allowed to go on for so long. I know the weather was foul that day but the fans spoke with only 9000 brave souls showing up to watch team 1 v 3.
Brookie needs upgrading and now or it must be abandoned.

How long do we think that the owners and sponsors will continue to pour money into a team that has to play out of that disgrace. A game that should have had a min 20000 crowd. One would imagine that our financial backers may walk if we cannot get an upgrade to decent facilities soon.

Trouble is we only have around $18 million in the kitty, but it really needs around $40 million to bring it up to a facility like Penrith or Kogarah which are comparable in size to Brookvale.
I suppose beggars can't be choosers, but anything less than around $30 million will only look like a band aid solution.
Still, I went to Leichhardt on a miserable Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago, and they had over 16,000 there,

$32 for a ticket on the hill on Friday, If they are charging that much, the might aswell put a stand in, instead of the hill. Luckily my membership averages $18 a game.

Mike Baird was there on Friday, has he given us anything?

Been in power for quite a while now but zilch so far from the state Libs, even in the premiers electorate. Shame he doesn't care about his constituents, probably just looking to try and get re-elected and keep his job. Either that or a nice bottle of Grange.

Unfortunately most people ain't going to pay up to $80-$100 to stand in the rain anymore. The 9000 there are the tragics who would go if there was a tornado. Unfortunately, 9k is another loss for the club. We need a guaranteed amount like the others do.
Standing in the rain are long gone and hopefully something is going to be done about it. Even the AFL are noticing drops in numbers. I can't justify spending $100 plus anymore travelling up from the Gong (with a family and mortgage etc) With my knee, I can't stand on the hill anymore so it's the stand for me. Ends up being a costly day/night. I'm resigned to watching it on the tele like most others.

We can complain as much as we like but as long as this remains a blue-ribbon Liberal seat nothing significant is going to happen in regards to Brookie.

They must get the A-league plus one of the national rugby union teams to play at Brookie to justify the funding required.

Mike Baird has been Premier for only a couple of months. Settle down. The budget for this year also hasn't been set down yet, and it would look really dodgy if he put 10 million in straight after becoming Premier. Reality is, he needs to get re-elected and with all the corruption stuff going on, its going to be difficult.

As Kerry Sibraa said in Melbourne, there are plans in place that are moving forward, where the State Government, the NRL, Warringah Council and the club are all involved. Lets see what happens there first. We have $10 million atm, lets spend that while we get the rest before Tony Abbott takes it off the table.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6