Budget 2014 - Brookvale Oval

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Christol74

Reserve Grader
Does anyone know if the $10,000,000 Abbott promised for Brooky before the election is actually in the budget? I haven't seen or heard anything about it yet.

Our Number 1 ticket holder has been the member for Warringah now for over 20 yrs including 12 in Government and in that time has given us nine tenths of diddly squat so I'm not exactly holding my breath.

That was part of the last budget, thats why it needs to be spent in the stipulated time, otherwise it reverts back into treasury.

This is the same for all Govt expenditure, that is why June is a very busy purchasing month in Govt Departments :cool:

You're dreamin'. Health, education, NDIS, all slashed, and you're thinking about Brookvale park. ?

If Brooky was a fighter bomber, there'd be plenty of upgrades . . . . . . .

HappilyManly said:
That was part of the last budget, thats why it needs to be spent in the stipulated time, otherwise it reverts back into treasury.

This is the same for all Govt expenditure, that is why June is a very busy purchasing month in Govt Departments :cool:

This is the first budget delivered by the new Abbott Government so it cannot be part of the last budget. The election was in September 2013, any promise Abbott made in regards to spending should be in this budget.

No, it was a committed cost that Abbott undertook to uphold.

Nothing in this budget has passed yet - many more deals will be done before we know what we will be slugged with.

HappilyManly said:
No, it was a committed cost that Abbott undertook to uphold.

No. The only funding commitment for Brookvale Oval ever made prior to the last Federal Election was made some time ago by the former State Labor Government which has nothing to do with the Federal Government. During the election campaign at the last Federal election Labor promised $10mil if they were returned to Government and Abbott then gave the same commitment. It means nothing until its in the budget.

Abbotts exact words - "Only the coalition can be trusted to deliver the Brookvale Oval upgrade"

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/coalition-pledges-10-million-to-brookvale-oval-upgrade-20130818-2s4qm.html

Just remember that most of what Abbott said before the election has now been reversed - no new taxes, no change to pensions, no cuts to ABC or SBS. This makes me fear greatly for any help Brookvale Oval was to receive.

We'll be lucky to get an upgrade unless more sporting teams play games there, like the Mariners or this new 2nd Grade Rugby Comp.

Speaking of money....

Anyone know what happened to the cash donated by fans to help pay for Tooves fine?

globaleagle said:
Speaking of money....

Anyone know what happened to the cash donated by fans to help pay for Tooves fine?
Good question, been asking myself the same thing, probably pi$$ed my 20 bucks up against the wall.

Someone at the Melbourne MWTS function reported that a Hill Stand is commissioned, as the $10m needs to be spent.

So it must have been allocated by somebody :cool:

Perhaps C74, contact the Club to get them to post something on the website to allay your concerns.

As a relatively senior public servant I know the drill. There are budget announcements and non budget announcements. When a minister makes an election promise or an announcement outside the budget process it sends the relevant department into a spin but they have to find the money. The 10 mill will happen, they'll fund it as part of some discretionary grant program if need be.

Peter C said:
globaleagle said:
Speaking of money....

Good question, been asking myself the same thing, probably pi$$ed my 20 bucks up against the wall.

Hopefully you made some nice artwork.

Shoe1 said:
As a relatively senior public servant I know the drill. There are budget announcements and non budget announcements. When a minister makes an election promise or an announcement outside the budget process it sends the relevant department into a spin but they have to find the money. The 10 mill will happen, they'll fund it as part of some discretionary grant program if need be.

Yes....minister!

globaleagle said:
Peter C said:
globaleagle said:
Speaking of money....

Hopefully you made some nice artwork.

Shoe1 said:

Yes....minister!

Sir Humphrey is right, the average Minister lasts less than a year in a portfolio, so our job is to think long term and not get distracted by their populism, flightiness and vanity.

Brookvale Oval $10m funding was mention in the budget.

See the link below:
http://www.minister.infrastructure.gov.au/wt/releases/2014/may/wt067_2014.aspx

Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development
“Upgrade to Brookvale Oval Manly 10,000,000 NSW”

But yes the problem we will need to show the building commences in the offseason (over the summer) as it must be expenditure on current infrastructure .. or the funds could be withdrawn if it was not spent it in the next 12 months (possibly 18 months).

I think the current stands need to be updated first, especially the dressing rooms and the concourse area, need more seats around there and the dugout is getting a bit old and shabby now.

ManlyArmy said:
I think the current stands need to be updated first, especially the dressing rooms and the concourse area, need more seats around there and the dugout is getting a bit old and shabby now.

All underneath the Jane Try Stand i.e. the dressing rooms & everything going with it were totally guttered and rebuilt a few years ago. So that is all new!

The Manly club wants more undercover seating, so a stage 1 ($10m will be spent) of a stage 3 process with the beginning of new grandstand behind the hill (eastern side) will be the go.

As Kerry Sibraa said in Melbourne, the $10 million will be spent on a 1500 seat stand behind the hill on the 50m line. It will be built like a Meccano set, with the idea being that when we get the next 10 million, we'll add on to it until the stand covers behind the whole hill. I think this is the best way to do it. It will look ugly for a while with a little stand in the middle of nowhere, but its our best option until the NRL and the State come to the party

Jono said:
As Kerry Sibraa said in Melbourne, the $10 million will be spent on a 1500 seat stand behind the hill on the 50m line. It will be built like a Meccano set, with the idea being that when we get the next 10 million, we'll add on to it until the stand covers behind the whole hill. I think this is the best way to do it. It will look ugly for a while with a little stand in the middle of nowhere, but its our best option until the NRL and the State come to the party

Agreed let's get cracking*

*heads to the garage to find steel capped boots

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6