1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget 2014 - Brookvale Oval

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Christol74, May 18, 2014.

1. Christol74

Christol74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +138 / 1
    Does anyone know if the $10,000,000 Abbott promised for Brooky before the election is actually in the budget? I haven't seen or heard anything about it yet.

Our Number 1 ticket holder has been the member for Warringah now for over 20 yrs including 12 in Government and in that time has given us nine tenths of diddly squat so I'm not exactly holding my breath.

2. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    That was part of the last budget, thats why it needs to be spent in the stipulated time, otherwise it reverts back into treasury.

This is the same for all Govt expenditure, that is why June is a very busy purchasing month in Govt Departments :cool:

3. EagleFromMay1967

EagleFromMay1967 In bed before the room got dark.

Blue Mountains these days
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 44
    You're dreamin'. Health, education, NDIS, all slashed, and you're thinking about Brookvale park. ?

If Brooky was a fighter bomber, there'd be plenty of upgrades . . . . . . .

4. Christol74

Christol74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +138 / 1
    This is the first budget delivered by the new Abbott Government so it cannot be part of the last budget. The election was in September 2013, any promise Abbott made in regards to spending should be in this budget.

5. HappilyManly

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    No, it was a committed cost that Abbott undertook to uphold.

Nothing in this budget has passed yet - many more deals will be done before we know what we will be slugged with.

6. Christol74

Christol74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +138 / 1
    No. The only funding commitment for Brookvale Oval ever made prior to the last Federal Election was made some time ago by the former State Labor Government which has nothing to do with the Federal Government. During the election campaign at the last Federal election Labor promised $10mil if they were returned to Government and Abbott then gave the same commitment. It means nothing until its in the budget.

Abbotts exact words - "Only the coalition can be trusted to deliver the Brookvale Oval upgrade"

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/coalition-pledges-10-million-to-brookvale-oval-upgrade-20130818-2s4qm.html

7. Eric Galt

Eric Galt Active Member

Hornsby
    Ratings:
    +350 / 15
    Just remember that most of what Abbott said before the election has now been reversed - no new taxes, no change to pensions, no cuts to ABC or SBS. This makes me fear greatly for any help Brookvale Oval was to receive.

8. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,521 / 50
    They should give us money 'cause I reckon Steve Matai could stop a boat.;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. ManlyArmy

ManlyArmy Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +939 / 23
    We'll be lucky to get an upgrade unless more sporting teams play games there, like the Mariners or this new 2nd Grade Rugby Comp.

10. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,800 / 58
    Speaking of money....

Anyone know what happened to the cash donated by fans to help pay for Tooves fine?

11. Peter C

Peter C Well-Known Member

Sydney
    Ratings:
    +742 / 16
    Good question, been asking myself the same thing, probably pi$$ed my 20 bucks up against the wall.

12. HappilyManly

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Someone at the Melbourne MWTS function reported that a Hill Stand is commissioned, as the $10m needs to be spent.

So it must have been allocated by somebody :cool:

Perhaps C74, contact the Club to get them to post something on the website to allay your concerns.

13. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,649 / 74
    As a relatively senior public servant I know the drill. There are budget announcements and non budget announcements. When a minister makes an election promise or an announcement outside the budget process it sends the relevant department into a spin but they have to find the money. The 10 mill will happen, they'll fund it as part of some discretionary grant program if need be.

14. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,800 / 58
    Hopefully you made some nice artwork.

Yes....minister!

15. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,649 / 74
    Sir Humphrey is right, the average Minister lasts less than a year in a portfolio, so our job is to think long term and not get distracted by their populism, flightiness and vanity.

16. Eagles Nest 08

Eagles Nest 08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    Brookvale Oval $10m funding was mention in the budget.

See the link below:
    http://www.minister.infrastructure.gov.au/wt/releases/2014/may/wt067_2014.aspx

Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development
    “Upgrade to Brookvale Oval Manly 10,000,000 NSW”

But yes the problem we will need to show the building commences in the offseason (over the summer) as it must be expenditure on current infrastructure .. or the funds could be withdrawn if it was not spent it in the next 12 months (possibly 18 months).

17. ManlyArmy

ManlyArmy Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +939 / 23
    I think the current stands need to be updated first, especially the dressing rooms and the concourse area, need more seats around there and the dugout is getting a bit old and shabby now.

18. Eagles Nest 08

Eagles Nest 08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    All underneath the Jane Try Stand i.e. the dressing rooms & everything going with it were totally guttered and rebuilt a few years ago. So that is all new!

The Manly club wants more undercover seating, so a stage 1 ($10m will be spent) of a stage 3 process with the beginning of new grandstand behind the hill (eastern side) will be the go.

19. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 5
    As Kerry Sibraa said in Melbourne, the $10 million will be spent on a 1500 seat stand behind the hill on the 50m line. It will be built like a Meccano set, with the idea being that when we get the next 10 million, we'll add on to it until the stand covers behind the whole hill. I think this is the best way to do it. It will look ugly for a while with a little stand in the middle of nowhere, but its our best option until the NRL and the State come to the party

20. Mals

Mals Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Pennant Hills
    Ratings:
    +1,480 / 35
    Agreed let's get cracking*

*heads to the garage to find steel capped boots