Brookie gone? SFS new home ground?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Garts said:
With my Manly hat on I am annoyed but when I look at it objectively it makes financial sense. Why spend $20 million + on something that will get 12 games of professional sport per year? Hardly a priority in the scheme of things.

Maybe, but the people on the northern beaches pay their taxes as well,
[ probably a lot more than most other areas] and are getting shafted again, first with a pathetic public transport system, road network, and now this Brookvale situation.
Both Kogarah and Wollongong have had around $80 million spent collectively, yet they only play six matches each.

The moronic view that the AFL have discarded their suburban grounds to play out of the bigger stadiums is all well and good...
IF IT WERE THE SAME F#CKING GAME!...NRL is ****e in the big stadiums (Suncorp being the exception), we all know that. League is best viewed from grounds such as Brookie and Leichhardt. Apart from the GF, you are not going to get 80.000 ppl to watch a game played in a circular stadium when it should be played in a rectangular stadium.

F@ck you Annersley.

Garts said:
With my Manly hat on I am annoyed but when I look at it objectively it makes financial sense. Why spend $20 million + on something that will get 12 games of professional sport per year? Hardly a priority in the scheme of things.

You have a point there Garts, but bloody sad as we all love the old girl

Simple solution would be for Manly to announce a new Soccer Franchise, say Northern Eagles :p, and the Government will fall over themselves rebuilding Brookie.

The Western Wanderers and GWS showed that you need no Players, colours or even a Club Name yet the Government will build a Taxpayer funded state of the art facility :sleepy:

Then Manly, like certain billionaires, could just walk away from the deal.

We would have our local ground up to NRL standards quick smart.:)

I can see in the not too distant future the ARLC bringing in criteria for NRL grounds which if not met will force teams to move their home ground. We will be shunted to the SFS.

Mals said:
I can see in the not too distant future the ARLC bringing in criteria for NRL grounds which if not met will force teams to move their home ground. We will be shunted to the SFS.

Sooner rather than later, I'd say our days at Brookvale are well and truly numbered. Don't be surprised for the ARLC to come out within the next 12 months announcing " minimum stadium standards" ( which of course will be aimed squarely at us knowing we will fail the criteria) . I'd say 2013 or 2014 will be the last year, certainly the new standards will be in place for whenever they announce expansion , so by 2015 at the latest

Mark from Brisbane said:
Mals said:

Sooner rather than later, I'd say our days at Brookvale are well and truly numbered. Don't be surprised for the ARLC to come out within the next 12 months announcing " minimum stadium standards" ( which of course will be aimed squarely at us knowing we will fail the criteria) . I'd say 2013 or 2014 will be the last year, certainly the new standards will be in place for whenever they announce expansion , so by 2015 at the latest

meanwhile over the last 5 or so years we have seen Millions poured into Kogarah, Win Stadium, Newcastle, Penrith and Campbelltown while we have had to beg for the measily amount we have gotten

if we do have to go I hope they will allow at least 4 games at Brookie per year against Sydney clubs and then we play 4 at ANZ or SFS 1 at Suncorp (double header seems to work good) 1 in WA and 2 reotating various country venues

We need a billionaire (Hey Frank Lowy) to tip in private money to build a new stadium.

The State government is really ripping the soul out of the sport with this decision. Everyone knows that ANZ and Allianz (bar ANZAC day, SoO and the GF) lack the atmosphere of a suburban ground. So rubbish.

I was talking to someone up here in "TV land", don't know if this is "just talk" or not but he said that Fox / Nein are really pushing for this as they can permenantly set up a whole stack of infrastructure which would save the whole mobile set up they have to do at the suburban grounds.

He said the cost saving is in the millions.

Currently TV "own the game", and with the current huge dollars on the table you can see fans being pushed further and further into the background on this.

I was also talking to a Sky Channel guy (regarding horse racing coverage)...he said apart from the big race days (the obvious ones) they'd much prefer to a facility with straight line tracks, in the middle of nowhere (cheaper to create and run), no crowd, no facilities needed just the gee gees, trainers, strappers etc.....with races running every few minutes. Again a huge cost saving with permenent infrastructure set up to handle it....NOW, I agree that's far fetched BUT you can see the thought line of these TV people can't you....all about savings and the fans ...well they don;t give a flying fig about them!!

Mark - until people stop watching or lose interest they won't give a stuff about the fans

The Wheel said:
Mark - until people stop watching or lose interest they won't give a stuff about the fans

And that (I think we know) is very unlikely.

As Chris Jones mentions above, the TV deal is worth way way in excess of what members pay, so you can see where their loyalty lays!!

MWSE said:
We need a billionaire (Hey Frank Lowy) to tip in private money to build a new stadium.

The State government is really ripping the soul out of the sport with this decision. Everyone knows that ANZ and Allianz (bar ANZAC day, SoO and the GF) lack the atmosphere of a suburban ground. So rubbish.

He cant even save us - if its not the State Government it will be the Council who will stop it.

Mark from Brisbane said:
I was talking to someone up here in "TV land", don't know if this is "just talk" or not but he said that Fox / Nein are really pushing for this as they can permenantly set up a whole stack of infrastructure which would save the whole mobile set up they have to do at the suburban grounds.

He said the cost saving is in the millions.

Currently TV "own the game", and with the current huge dollars on the table you can see fans being pushed further and further into the background on this.

I was also talking to a Sky Channel guy (regarding horse racing coverage)...he said apart from the big race days (the obvious ones) they'd much prefer to a facility with straight line tracks, in the middle of nowhere (cheaper to create and run), no crowd, no facilities needed just the gee gees, trainers, strappers etc.....with races running every few minutes. Again a huge cost saving with permenent infrastructure set up to handle it....NOW, I agree that's far fetched BUT you can see the thought line of these TV people can't you....all about savings and the fans ...well they don;t give a flying fig about them!!

I remember in the 80's they were talking about doing this at the races.Just have straight course racing,no crowds just participants and only for pay TV.It would have been way out of reach (distance wise) for most people to attend.What a souless atmosphere and the same will happen to football if this goes ahead.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4