Broncos under salary cap investigation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Once again it seems these third party deals are an unregulated farce. My understanding is that the third party is not a sponsor or in any way linked to the club and the club cannot negotiate any deal it is a separate deal negotiated between players and third party. The thing is why would a third party pay a player unless that party had an interest in the club that player is going to play for. NRL ,should be NFI.

The NRL really need to get serious on punishment for going over the cap.

For me it's this -

Play for no points for a period,
Big fine,
Club isn't allowed to sign anyone apart from juniors and when renewal comes up the club isn't allowed to re-sign them (could imagine the Storm without the big 3)

The whistle blower would be a manager looking after his clients rights and therefore himself..

Scam Smith said he never got an offer from the broncs. I can't see how they would be able to offer DCE something serious now either, with who they might want to offload and probable upgrades going to Hunt and McCullough.

From what I've read about this a large fine will suffice. I am so going to make my broncos mates pay a lot more though:)

The likes of the Dogs, Warriors and the Storm are watching this so anything less then the docking of points has to occur.

Apparently the leagues club now is also being investigated as well.

Word up here is that the player who blew the whistle was the big polar bear. That's what caused the big falling out a few weeks back. Not a happy camp up here at show pony HQ. Player is about 200K down on funds. More interesting stuff still to come.

Kent is reporting that another Club, who recently released the Recruitment Manager :huh: is also suss.

There are a lot of questions to be asked about the Broncos? Why did they declare themselves to the NRL, sometime around a month after a whistleblower had tipped off owners News Ltd (publisher of the Telegraph) that rorting was going on?

Why was football manager Andrew Gee let go?

NRL boss Dave Smith and chief financial officer Jim Doyle were at Red Hill on Thursday going through the Broncos’ books.

Be sure, there are countless people close to the Broncos organisation willing to stand up for Gee, not prepared to let him be made the scapegoat for the club’s cap turmoil.

Any sort of rorting can’t be implemented at a club without the knowledge and tacit approval of others.

The NRL has other problems. The whispers in the corridor of power at ICAC suggest phone taps will reveal another club is cheating the salary cap, with the taps a chance to become public when more evidence is tendered against Eddie O’Beid.

This club also recently let go a staffer involved in recruitment.

While there is nothing criminal about the actitivies from an ICAC perspective, the cap rorting will amount to a large headache for the NRL.

Two clubs in one year? How widespread is it?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/kent-on-saturday-trent-hodkinson-uses-kicking-tees-dedicated-to-children-suffering-illness/story-fni3fh9n-1226937561257

HappilyManly said:
Kent is reporting that another Club, who recently released the Recruitment Manager :huh: is also suss.

There are a lot of questions to be asked about the Broncos? Why did they declare themselves to the NRL, sometime around a month after a whistleblower had tipped off owners News Ltd (publisher of the Telegraph) that rorting was going on?

NRL boss Dave Smith and chief financial officer Jim Doyle were at Red Hill on Thursday going through the Broncos’ books.

Be sure, there are countless people close to the Broncos organisation willing to stand up for Gee, not prepared to let him be made the scapegoat for the club’s cap turmoil.

Any sort of rorting can’t be implemented at a club without the knowledge and tacit approval of others.

The NRL has other problems. The whispers in the corridor of power at ICAC suggest phone taps will reveal another club is cheating the salary cap, with the taps a chance to become public when more evidence is tendered against Eddie O’Beid.

While there is nothing criminal about the actitivies from an ICAC perspective, the cap rorting will amount to a large headache for the NRL.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/kent-on-saturday-trent-hodkinson-uses-kicking-tees-dedicated-to-children-suffering-illness/story-fni3fh9n-1226937561257

Souths recently let their recruitment guy (Garry Hughes) go. He is now at Penrith.

Hannants brother told me last year, he was knicking off(Ben) to PNG on some huge coin (gold mine...ironically!), because the Broncs wouldn't cough up the cash.
As long as Dave Warwick's still with us, it's all good.

HappilyManly said:
Interesting :sleepy:

The plot thickens...

Apart from adequate punishments if rortng is proven, I really hope all this rigmarole and rumbling distracts the Bongo's minds enough to put them off their game tomorrow.

We can take the money and run up there, and add NSW salt to their fresh and festering wounds!

Bit biblical for a Sat'dy morning, but so be it.

bones said:
HappilyManly said:

Souths recently let their recruitment guy (Garry Hughes) go. He is now at Penrith.
It's the Eels

That would cruel their Fans :s

Two wooden spoons due to performance on the field and potentially one due to the performance off the field :(

I'd rather it was the Rorters :p

What's the rub there @HappilyManly ?

I got lost in that a bit.

So rumour has it now that the Eels may have breached the Cap as well?

I was just responding to PeterC's tip that the ICAC tapes may relate to Parra Salary Cap issues.

If it then progressed to their being stripped of points, then their Fans would be the ones who would be hurt :(

Just solidarity with the paying Public, we who are taken for granted and seem to be the only parties with emotional investment in our chosen Clubs :cool:

Maybe nothing will come of it, even the Broncos have nothing to lose this year .

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/mystery-over-brisbane-broncos-money-trail-under-investigation-by-nrl-20140716-ztoal.html

A $300,000 repayment to the Broncos Leagues Club, thought to have been used for cash payments to players outside the salary cap, has ramifications that could extend to a bid to buy the NRL franchise from owners News Corp and return Wayne Bennett as coach.

The NRL is investigating cash payments totalling $470,000 to Broncos players, but described the serpentine, sometimes undocumented trail as complicated and requiring time to probe..........

But wait, someone wasn't smiling at Manly *devotes 400 columns to this amazing revelation*

The donkeys do not have to despair, like the drizzle in 2010, any fine will be written off as a loss by News Limited, what a farce.

The donkeys provided the blue print to rort the cap years ago with 3rd party payments.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2