Broncos: Serial offenders in doing nothing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Once again it is a case of do as we say and we will ignore it anyway. The booze culture in that club will never go away with the administration they have. Where is Gallop in all this? Don't bother asking!

Broncos ignore own rules to go easy on boozing players
BRISBANE have sidestepped their first opportunity to suspend players caught in breach of the club's new and supposedly strict code of behaviour.

In a direct backflip to public pledges by club management, cleanskins Nick Kenny and Steve Michaels have avoided the axe and will today be named for Saturday night's trip to Newcastle.

It is understood Kenny, 26, was spoken to for urinating in public at Byron Bay in the early hours of Sunday morning, while 22-year-old Michaels was sanctioned for allegedly kicking a passing vehicle.

Brisbane's decision to fine but not suspend the pair for the minor disciplinary breach stands at odds with threats made by CEO Bruno Cullen late last year.

Broncos coach Ivan Henjak declared last night his club would discipline the pair internally and "move on".

"It's not a hangable offence, it was their weekend off and they had a bit too much to drink, but they did the wrong thing and we'll cop what's coming," Henjak said. "From my point of view we will deal with it, discipline them internally, and move on. We will remind them once again what their responsibilities are.

"They are players who don't put a foot wrong too often. They do some wonderful things in the community and the club."

Kenny was last week named the NRL One Community's Good Guy of the Month award, while Michaels also had an unblemished record.

Suspending the pair, who have made only a minor error in judgment, would have sent a powerful message to Brisbane's playing group.

Last October, after an off-field indiscretion by halfback Peter Wallace, Cullen warned that the next incident bringing the club into disrepute would be treated "very, very seriously".

Cullen stated dropping players would send out a sterner message than fines with his warning voiced after a damaging two-month period for the Broncos headlined by a serious sex assault investigation levelled against three teammates.

"We can't afford to just say 'Well, you're a first-time offender'," Cullen said at the time.

"We have to say to everyone we don't care if you are halfway down the track as a serial offender or if you have a clean sheet and have been here 10 years.

"The next one is a serious one and if we need to do something very, very serious to get you all to understand that no one can overstep the mark, then that is what we will do."

Cullen yesterday denied that the alcohol policy had been breached in this instance, but he was disappointed that the players had put themselves in a "vulnerable" position.

How is this any different to Brett Stewart being suspended for being refused service of alcohol at a pub & the club not wanting to suspend him even though he was a cleanskin who also does good things in the community?

Hey Gallop, are you going to step in on this occasion and suspend them for 2 weeks? I doubt it. More double standards from a News Ltd owned official towards a News Ltd owned club.

I saw on the news tonight that the NRL has rubber stamped the Broncos non-suspension of the two players involved.  Typical ! ! !

Jethro link said:
I saw on the news tonight that the NRL has rubber stamped the Broncos non-suspension of the two players involved.  Typical ! ! !

Just as they rubber-stamped all previous Broncos decisions to not suspend any players involved in drunken misbehaviour, law breaking and sexual abuse allegations.

Only something to get upset about if you expect a level playing field. 

Why would anyone expect News Ltd and associates (NRL) to ever penalise News Ltd (Broncos), or News Ltd and associates (media) to criticise News Ltd (NRL/Broncos)?

I don't see a big problem with what Kenny's done?

He pissed in public ffs, who HASN'T done that? Admittedly, he is pretty stupid to get caught  :p

SF link said:

The same could be said with being refused the serving of alcohol at a pub.

SF link said:

He pissed in public ffs, who HASN'T done that? Admittedly, he is pretty stupid to get caught  :p

You probably have, I certainly have & I suspect a large number of male posters on this forum have, so what is the difference? we are not NRL players, who are judged at a different level, just ask Brett Stewart.

Police were involved and contracts talk about bringing the game in disrepute. Let's face it, no consistency and despite all the talk, Brett Stewart has been punished for the yet-to-be tested allegations, despite all the BS from News!!

Canteen Worker link said:
Police were involved and contracts talk about bringing the game in disrepute. Let's face it, no consistency and despite all the talk, Brett Stewart has been punished for the yet-to-be tested allegations, despite all the BS from News!!

That's basically what I'm trying to point out i.e. double standards & inconsistency of what punishments were dished out to Brett (4 weeks) and then the Rooster & Sharks players (2 weeks each which appeared to be the mandatory punishment from Gallop) & now because it is the Broncos (the latest News Ltd owned favourite because they are currently leading the comp & News Ltd have to get back a return for their money) they get no suspensions whatsoever. The News Ltd run NRL & Gallop are a joke.

Here it is in black and white. Gallop to do absolutely nothing. Forget double demerits - it is just double standards.

"Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen says the NRL has backed the club's handling of two players who were in trouble in Byron Bay over the weekend.

Steven Michaels and Nick Kenny were spoken to by police after going out drinking.

After three players were the subject of a police investigation last year, the Broncos said they would take a strong line against players involved in alcohol-related incidents.

But Cullen says NRL boss David Gallop is happy with the way the club dealt with Michaels and Kenny.

"I spoke to David last night, and again this is something we've done all the way through," he said.

"We don't actually do anything until we've spoken to David about it.

"We don't look for his approval, we just communicate and see if they think that that's on about the right level.

"He was very relaxed with what I intended to do."

Gallop says he is satisfied with the Broncos' response.

"While we're not entirely comfortable the situation obviously, the Broncos have stepped in and they're going to take some action," he said.

"On this occasion we believe that's appropriate unless further information comes to light.

"We'll most likely leave it at that."

Broncos coach Ivan Henjak says he is no longer shocked by off-field incidents, but hopes his players learn from their mistakes."

It will be interesting to see what happens when the next player gets into trouble and his club doesn't stand him down.

Mr GALLOP you have left yourself wide open.

Ryno link said:
It will be interesting to see what happens when the next player gets into trouble and his club doesn't stand him down.

Mr GALLOP you have left yourself wide open.

It depends on who owns the club involved.  If it is a non-News Ltd owned club then Gallop and his other NRL News Ltd owned mates will jump in and give them an automatic 2 weeks.  If it is a News Ltd owned club then Gallop & Co will probably back the club's punishment of the player i.e. "You've been a very naughty boy. Promise me you won't do it again. I think it has been punishment enough that you have gotten your name and the club in the news for the wrong reasons. What's that? You won't do it again? Good boy! Now go away and play"

Broncos: Serial offenders at being above laws applied to Non-News clubs.
Gallop: The judge and jury.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6