Broncos after DCE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member
Brisbane Broncos linked with Daly Cherry-Evans, Manly issue a hands-off warning to rival clubs

By Peter Badel
The Courier-Mail
February 28, 201210:25AM

In demand ... Will Manly hold onto their premiership winning halfback? Source: Brett Costello / News Limited

Manly have issued a hands-off warning to rival clubs eyeing off Daly Cherry-Evans as the Broncos refute speculation they are plotting to poach the Test playmaker.

The Sea Eagles' bid to retain Cherry-Evans comes at a time when the Broncos are facing their own personnel headaches, with a $5 million retention drive leaving star duo Ben Te'o and Gerard Beale fighting for new deals.

Manly have begun talks to upgrade the contract of Cherry-Evans, who is signed until the end of 2013 but can activate a get-out clause this season.

The Broncos have been repeatedly linked with the Maroons Origin hopeful, due largely to coach Anthony Griffin having ties with Cherry-Evans' father Troy and his uncle Steve, a legend at the Redcliffe club Griffin formerly coached. .

But after re-signing 10 topliners in the past year, including halves Peter Wallace and Corey Norman last Friday night, the Broncos moved to scupper claims they want Cherry-Evans at Red Hill.

"I don't know about that relationship (between Griffin and the Cherry-Evans family) but we've never talked to another half, including Cherry-Evans," Broncos operations and recruitment chief Andrew Gee said.

"We already have Ben Hunt signed and we now have Peter Wallace and Corey signed as well.

"We try to retain what we have within. We're happy with what we've got, we want to shore up our roster for the next two or three years and give this competition a good shake."

Cherry-Evans, 23, is the most sought after halfback in the code after leading Manly to last year's premiership with an outstanding rookie season.

The Mackay product could command upwards of $500,000 on the open market, but Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey said Manly showed faith in Cherry-Evans when others wouldn't.

"It's a bit discouraging for a club when you put a lot of development into a kid and then other clubs want to buy him," Toovey said.

"I know there is interest in him. The Broncos have a lot of young talent already but to be honest he was up there (in Queensland) and was overlooked.

"We've developed him and we want him here as long as possible. He's come through our system, we're looking to upgrade him now and hopefully we can do it soon."

The Broncos insist their ability to retain the off-contract Te'o and Beale is of greater concern than any purported big-money play for Cherry-Evans.

I don't think they'd have enough cash under the cap to make a serious play for DCE.

I wish we would....Would be lovely for a few announcements this week.

I know they are obviously working on it, but I hate the wait.

This story is just a rehash of what's been reported several times over. There is absolutely nothing new.
It's journalism in the style of all those trashy gossip mags.

Ceagle said:
swoop said:
I don't think they'd have enough cash under the cap to make a serious play for DCE.

This, the title of the article contradicts everything in it

Yep. We often hang journos for the headlines of a story but the reality is they don't get to make the calls and I've spoken to a few who get annoyed when their editors twist a headline around. That being said the point of the headline is to get you wanting to read it and it worked.

Yeh its hard to imagine theres much $$ left after re - signing the overrated Wallace. Sure there was money after Lockyer but remember he was supposedly on a contract below $300,000 due to long term conract & 3rd party dealings & these rookies they have just re - signed were not cheap.
If they were smart enough to offer DCE a bigger carrot with the money they just wasted on Wallace it would be more concerning.

Masked Eagle said:
Yep. We often hang journos for the headlines of a story but the reality is they don't get to make the calls and I've spoken to a few who get annoyed when their editors twist a headline around. That being said the point of the headline is to get you wanting to read it and it worked.

Exactly! I have a mate who is a journo & he repeatedly tells me he has no say in the headlines for the stories he writes.

The Broncos this year have extended Jharal Yow Yeh, Alex Glenn, Andrew McCullough, Ben Hunt, Dave Hala, Corey Norman and Peter Wallace's contracts.

They would have to be at the peak of the cap.

On another note, Te'o might be a good replacement for G Stewart if the rumours about him to the dogs are true.

What club in it's right mind wouldn't be interested in DCE. Just a beat up story, you could swap Broncos with any of the other 14 clubs and it would be as equally as credible.

Probably trying to divert attention that one of their main sponsors "wow" has gone into receivership.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7