Brisbane keen to host the Nines

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
SUNCORP Stadium bosses are prepared to launch an audacious bid to bring the NRL Nines to Brisbane as club bosses accept the tournament is set to become a permanent fixture on the rugby league calendar.

The stunning success of the inaugural Nines in Auckland over the weekend has convinced many sceptics in NRL club land about the value of the nine-a-side event, with more stars expected to play in next year’s tournament.

Read More

SUNCORP Stadium bosses are prepared to launch an audacious bid to bring the NRL Nines to Brisbane as club bosses accept the tournament is set to become a permanent fixture on the rugby league calendar
contentBlock_5021.jpg

The stunning success of the inaugural Nines in Auckland over the weekend has convinced many sceptics in NRL club land about the value of the nine-a-side event, with more stars expected to play in next year’s tournament.

Suncorp Stadium general manager Alan Graham confirmed Brisbane’s premier 52,500-seat venue would be interested in talking to Events Queensland and the ARL Commission about hosting the Nines once the Auckland deal expires in 2016.

“We have always got an appetite for events such as that and we’ve got a long-term strategy about different events we’re looking at bringing or trying to get for Brisbane and Queensland,” Graham said.

“I think we’re the second biggest rugby league market in the world so a tournament like that would sit pretty well here.

“I think apart from the stadium, which is ideally suited to that type of spectacle, we have a fairly good precinct as well that would help foster and create the atmosphere that you need around a tournament like that.

“I understand there is a certain agreement in place for it to be held in Auckland for another year or two, but certainly it would be something we’d be interested in having some discussions about in the future in conjunction with Tourism and Events Queensland who we partner up on a lot of big events.’’

With North Queensland and Brisbane fighting it out for the title of inaugural Nines champions, won 16-7 by the Cowboys, Queensland’s NRL clubs have certainly shown a keen interest in the event and sparked much excitement among their fans for 2014.

Graham had no doubt Queensland rugby league fans could fill Suncorp Stadium twice over.

“I think you would, it’s that type of event that helps create an atmosphere over and above just a rugby league game,” Graham said.

Broncos chief executive Paul White fully endorsed the Nines concept, returning from Auckland stunned at the popularity of the event and the huge benefits it brought rugby league and the city in New Zealand.

“I don’t think anyone would have expected 12 months ago that the event and quality of the event would have been what it was, you always hoped, but the way it all unfolded was just outstanding,” White said.

“It made you proud to be working in rugby league.

“There was robust debate about bringing the concept in but I think everyone got behind it and there is little doubt that the concept is going to be here to stay.

“That’s just the starting point, if it improves from there it’s going to be a wonderful asset to the game. It can only get bigger and stronger from there.

“The economic benefit it has delivered for Auckland, there wasn’t a single bed available in the city.

“I would imagine state and local governments, venue operators would all be looking at the possibility for what it means if they were able to put on a tournament like that in the future.’’

Todd Balym

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/suncorp-stadium-bosses-are-preparing-to-launch-a-bid-to-host-the-nines-in-2015/story-fniabjcr-1226831945469

Its locked into NZ, plus they already have two SOO games :cool:

Its great because it is in a RU stronghold, so don't shift it if you want the Polynesian kiddies to choose RL :)

NZ should swap the rights to brisbane. We give you the rights to the nines and you give us back the rights to the NZ players

Would sound a bit odd anyway holding the Auckland 9s in Brisbane. A lot of people would go to the wrong place.

Solution :
Run it over 4 weeks
Auckland
Brisbane
Melbourne
Sydney

Each City winner gets $350k and then over all gets $500k

Mark from Brisbane said:
And you'd cut out four weeks of the NRL....for a micky mouse comp!!

Surely not?

Most teams still play 3 weeks of trials so this way atleast they're playing for something.

... and the NRL Gods smiled down on the cane toads and decreed: You are the centre of the rugby league universe. You will be on free-to-air TV every Friday night. You will be exempt from salary cap scrutiny. You will be able to expand your State borders to nab any decent footballer, regardless of their birthplace and regardless of their current contract. You will steal any successful idea, promotion or money-spinning event and re-brand and relocate it to Brisbane.
And the Brisbane faithful replied with one voice: That's all very well, God, but why have you given us such a crappy team as the Broncos?

Half the appeal was that this game was in NZ. The broncos almost killed the QRL comp for their own greed. Now the 9's.

The Who said:
... and the NRL Gods smiled down on the cane toads and decreed: You are the centre of the rugby league universe. You will be on free-to-air TV every Friday night. You will be exempt from salary cap scrutiny. You will be able to expand your State borders to nab any decent footballer, regardless of their birthplace and regardless of their current contract. You will steal any successful idea, promotion or money-spinning event and re-brand and relocate it to Brisbane.
And the Brisbane faithful replied with one voice: That's all very well, God, but why have you given us such a crappy team as the Broncos?

That should be set in stone...gold!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4