Brisbane Airline charges extra for obese passengers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
United Airlines now charging obese for second seat

OBESE passengers will now be required to buy a second ticket or upgrade to business class on United Airlines flights, and face the possibility of being taken off the flight altogether if it's booked out.
The policy will apply to people who are unable to fit into a single seat, are unable to properly buckle the seatbelt or who are unable to out the armrests down when seated.

”We'll first try to reaccommodate you on another seat on the flight,” spokeswoman Robin Urbanski told the Chicago Tribune. “If the flight is full, and that's not often the case these days, you'll be bumped from the flight.”

United Airlines decided to adopt the policy after receiving more than 700 complaints last year from passengers uncomfortable as the person next to them “infringed on their seat”.

“Please understand that we care a great deal about all of our customers' well-being, and we have implemented this policy to help ensure that everyone's travel experiences with United are comfortable and pleasant,” the policy says.

United is not the only airline to charge obese passengers extra.
SMA of Brisbane  Southwest Airlines faced a backlash from customers due to its policy requiring passengers who can’t comfortably lower their armrests to purchase a second ticket, but will refund the additional cost if the flight isn’t sold out.

Good on them. You have to pay for a 2 year old to fly, and some people take up more room than your average 2 year old.

I have a long held theory that when it comes to how much baggage you choose to take on the plane, they should weigh both you and your bags together.  Say you get 120Kg total, and it doesn't matter whether most of that weight is in your suitcase or your arse.  

I spent a very uncomfortable time on a flight next to a big fella once, lucky it was only a 2 or so hour flight.

A massive guy sat next to me from Fiji once, and he turned around and said  "Dont worry after we take off I'll move over there" and he did which was a relief

The Gronk link said:
I have a long held theory that when it comes to how much baggage you choose to take on the plane, they should weigh both you and your bags together.  Say you get 120Kg total, and it doesn't matter whether most of that weight is in your suitcase or your arse.  

Exactly. I weigh 64kg, yet get pinged for having a bag that is 2kg over the limit...

Seriously though, we are talking pretty hefty people here. My old boy is 120kg and he has no trouble fitting in a seat.

I agree, its a great idea.

Probably the 140kg plus fatties would be in trouble, Unless your a large short/fat arse.

when i was around the 136kg mark around 2 years ago there was no dramas at all.
The seats a bit tight for me now i find i get a window and try to squeeze up to it as tight as i can as not to inhibit the person next to me.

Virgin are great the will try block off the seat next to me if its not a full flight.

I also try to go for flights that wont be full. It just comes down to a bit of planning. 

When you think about the percentage of the population that is pretty big maybe they need to have some seats to cater for the larger passanger at a higher price obviously. If the fat seats for a lack of a better word were 40 - 50 bucks extra than the normal seats id pay for them without battering an eyelid

CliffyIsGod link said:
[quote author=The Gronk link=topic=180132.msg219467#msg219467 date=1239857363]

Exactly. I weigh 64kg, yet get pinged for having a bag that is 2kg over the limit...
[/quote]

I saw we all chip in and buy CIG some food !!!! 64kg !!!

Last time I was 64 would have been when I was about 12 haha

The Gronk link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180132.msg221678#msg221678 date=1241503031]
LOL Fro

F**k, 58kg !!! Eat Gronk, eat

I would be scared of snapping you blokes in half :p

Hey its even worse when you consider 25kg of that is my wedding tackle!!
[/quote]

It is ok mate, we all make typo's. The K isn't that close to the 5 though so was a pretty bad one to make

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4