1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bring Cherry Evens in now and give him a shot

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by the real fortynil, Sep 6, 2010.

1. the real fortynil

the real fortynil Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    With no real direction coming from our halves over the last 6 weeks or so I would throw caution to the wind and bring Cherry Evens in and push Hodkinson out to 5/8 and if fit push Foran into the centers. Cherry Evens is going to be our half next year and has played out of his socks as a nippy run to the line half, something "clearly our current 7 is not" we have absolutely nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Des showed some insight bringing Foran in last year, why not give the kid his elevation now. He offers way more in attack than Hodkinson if anyone had seen him play this year he is miles ahead of where Hodkinson was last year. Clearly we are going to go in way underdone and it might just take a huge masterstroke like this to mix it up. Somehow however I fear he want

2. blitzkrieg

blitzkrieg Active Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Let's pop his Cherry.....sorry,it was waiting to be said!

3. CliffyIsGod

CliffyIsGod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
  4. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    I wouldn't say that. If anything he is slightly below to even with where Hodkinson was last year. Hodkinson just hasn't been able to make the step up to NRL standard. There were glimpses but I think that it will be further on in his career before he fully makes the step up.

As for DCE, why not give him a go next week. I can't see us going anywhere next week without the amount of regulars that we will be without so I can't see what harm it would do to give him a try. He might just add that extra spark and add a bit of the unknown for the Dragon's game plan.

5. mcatt

mcatt Active Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    I know the team has 'nothing to lose' next weekend, but I still think it would be silly bringing in a rookie half against the minor premiers in a finals match. What is the point of exposing him to a potential slaughtering. Give him a full off season to continue to develop and bring him in next year when we have a close to if not full strength team.

6. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,842 / 103
    I agree with giving DCE a taste of the top grade, and some others. We have nothing to lose, and at the very least it will give us something interesting to watch.
    Do we really want to see the same proven failures being smashed by Illawarra?

7. blitzkrieg

blitzkrieg Active Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Don't mean to ask a stupid question but : is DCE going to be at 7 for us next year do you think? Will Foran start there with Lyon at 6? I know Lyon isnt a fan of 5/8 but is a team player.

8. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    I wouldn't say that. If anything he is slightly below to even with where Hodkinson was last year. Hodkinson just hasn't been able to make the step up to NRL standard. There were glimpses but I think that it will be further on in his career before he fully makes the step up.

As for DCE, why not give him a go next week. I can't see us going anywhere next week without the amount of regulars that we will be without so I can't see what harm it would do to give him a try. He might just add that extra spark and add a bit of the unknown for the Dragon's game plan.
    [/quote]

The only reason Hodko has struggled this season is because our forwards haven't laid the foundation. Every game where our forwards did dominate, Hodko went well and we all raved about him.

Next weekend will be no different with DCE, if the forwards get rolled then he'll have nothing to offer.

I still think it is worthwhile throwing him in though

9. the real fortynil

the real fortynil Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    That's my hole point we have absolutely zip to loose, in the games I have seen on the QLD ABC his efforts have been superior to Hodkinson's time up there, this this year they lacked the size in the forwards that they had last year and yet he got them over the line with his running game. If any of you guys can remember Manly's glory days were we always had a good nippy creative half, something we have lacked for a long time. I see DCE as good if not better than some half's running around at present, Penrith, Tigers, Parra, Kiwi's, Saints, Sharkes.

As I said Des wont do it but I would like to have his ear for 5-10 mins to convince him to take a gamble every now and then, instead of sticking with the same bunch who clearly show week after week they lack desire or even seem disinterested.

By tacking a punt players start to think **** if I don't perform he's going to push me back to QLD cup. At Manly for the last few years that's not been evident.

10. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,842 / 103
    Hodkinson did suffer by the forward not being dominant (although in every match they showed signs of it). But I think he is a good defensive player, but not nippy enough. I don;t think he will be the answer to Canterbury's problems.

11. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,468 / 74
    Bringing up DCE for next week, I think would probably be a bad idea.

It's a game we probably won't win and there is a chance that sort of debut and a debut in the finals could end up being detrimental to the guys career

12. susan

susan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 30
    100% agree Dan.we are toast so why risk him at all.lets just hope the guys have a dig and go down with the fight we were used to for the previous 3 or 4 years.

and it wont happen anyway.des is not that style of coach.

13. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    Yeah let Hodgo finish off the year, any injuries or loss of confidence he takes out of the game can go with him to the Dogs.

14. The Gronk

The Gronk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    What dribble. 

15. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    Where is Jim Curtis?

16. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    Jarrord Heaney????
    wat a great prop he was

17. CliffyIsGod

CliffyIsGod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Bring back Shaun Wessell.

18. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,468 / 74
    Sam "handbag" Harris

19. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    Jail Probably. or was that Gary Winter?

20. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,649 / 74

[/quote]

The only reason Hodko has struggled this season is because our forwards haven't laid the foundation. Every game where our forwards did dominate, Hodko went well and we all raved about him.

Next weekend will be no different with DCE, if the forwards get rolled then he'll have nothing to offer.

I still think it is worthwhile throwing him in though
    [/quote]

Not sure about your comment on the forwards. To me they have been dominant in many games, but the halves haven't been able to capitalise. Even yesterday, we seemed to camp out in the opposition's 20 for long periods, field position was not Manly's problem. Hodkinson did not seem capable of passing to his right hand backs - lyon and williams got very little ball. G Stewart has carried Hodko on the right hand attack all year for mine. Foran's work on the left side was far better, and creative.