Bring back the 7's...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Not sure who else here used to love the 7's but had some of the best w/ends at them, especially when Cliffy Lyons was running the show.
Theres already the talk of players enduring over long seasons & the risk of injuries but as a spectacle they are pretty sensational.
Maybe a rule like minimum 5 players who have been involved in the NRL & a sprinkling of some youngsters.
The event seemed to get huge exposure & when it came to finals the players were pretty competitive for the cup prize & $$$.
From a Seaeagles perspective would like to see youngsters like Gutherson, Gagan, Taufua & this new kid from the Titans in this open style comp.
This NZ 9's is being talked about but if the 7's were to come back to Sydney would book my tickets today.
For mine this was the ultimate way to start the footy season.

I enjoyed them as well, used to travel down with mates when I lived in Moree.....never forget that year (wearing Pepsi Jerseys) we won the Coca Cola 7's...funny as anything!!

Must have been 1995/96 or 97 I think those were the "Pepsi years"

Mark from Brisbane said:
I enjoyed them as well, used to travel down with mates when I lived in Moree.....never forget that year (wearing Pepsi Jerseys) we won the Coca Cola 7's...funny as anything!!

That was the series Elsegood went 100 metres avading Mundine up the sideline Mark, Kosef & Lyons mesmerised the favoured Dragqueens in the final - Gold!!

They're avoiding the 7's due to it being a rah rah invention.

The 9's will probably get a green light due to it being a Commonwealth Game Category sport shortly.

I don't really think the over long seasons is the issue its the folding stuff that the players feel they are missing out on.

They were the best!

Cliffy et al shone in the open spaces.
3 Days of fast paced, creative footy :heart:

* Loved the tryfests:)
* the suave Italian Team in their designer suits
* the French Can Can Girls who got the guys in the crowd going
* the PNG Team's try celebrations using the corner posts as spears
* the USA Team scoring grid iron pass tries, made the Parra 7 metre forward pass a few years back seem lame
* the Moroccon Team one year who kept getting through to the next round despite losing their games :huh:
* the phantom Fan who somehow would dodge the Security and score acrobatic tries in between games :D
* Big Ian Roberts signing autographs after having his head gashed. Still recall his leaning away from the kiddies' papers so as not to drench it in blood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kRXoClXD8Q

*the blow up dolls being passed around the whole ground evading all the Security guys :p

On the negative, we did have to get security to remove 5 drunk Newcastle 'ladies' who just would not stop spilling beers on us one year :mad:

Manly is the only Team to have won it three times 1990, 1994, 1995 !!!!

I loved the 7's. My favorite memory was Ray Hadley getting me in a headlock and telling security he wanted me out because I said as i walked past him " The Footy Show will be much better this year". It was just after he was sacked from the show.

HappilyManly said:
They were the best!

Cliffy et al shone in the open spaces.
3 Days of fast paced, creative footy :heart:

* Loved the tryfests:)
* the suave Italian Team in their designer suits
* the French Can Can Girls who got the guys in the crowd going
* the PNG Team's try celebrations using the corner posts as spears
* the USA Team scoring grid iron pass tries, made the Parra 7 metre forward pass a few years back seem lame
* the Moroccon Team one year who kept getting through to the next round despite losing their games :huh:
* the phantom Fan who somehow would dodge the Security and score acrobatic tries in between games :D
* Big Ian Roberts signing autographs after having his head gashed. Still recall his leaning away from the kiddies' papers so as not to drench it in blood

On the negative, we did have to get security to remove 5 drunk Newcastle 'ladies' who just would not stop spilling beers on us one year :mad:

The Bears with their red (tomato sauce from the cricket) shoes. Haha!

bones said:
I loved the 7's. My favorite memory was Ray Hadley getting me in a headlock and telling security he wanted me out because I said as i walked past him " The Footy Show will be much better this year". It was just after he was sacked from the show.

Nice!

Did security obey?

MK Eagle said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

That was the series Elsegood went 100 metres avading Mundine up the sideline Mark, Kosef & Lyons mesmerised the favoured Dragqueens in the final - Gold!!

Must have been at the start of 1995 then......yes I remember that final V the Dragqueens, and correct we weren't expected to win.

It would be an extra way for the players to earn some coin, and some much needed extra sport for FTA TV (unless Fox picked it up) but I am surprised it hasn't been done again as it was always "party central"

My mates & I travelled down from country NSW to watch the 7's, tho' it was "Mickey Mouse" football it was a good weekend as everybody got to see their team go around.

It was Micky Mouse BUT gee weren't there some country biys in town...I still remember those nights at the Bourbon and Beefsteak Bar!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
MK Eagle said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

Must have been at the start of 1995 then......yes I remember that final V the Dragqueens, and correct we weren't expected to win.

It would be an extra way for the players to earn some coin, and some much needed extra sport for FTA TV (unless Fox picked it up) but I am surprised it hasn't been done again as it was always "party central"

1994 was the year we smoked Saints in the final, was Terry Hill's debut in Manly colours

globaleagle said:
bones said:

Nice!

Did security obey?

Security came over and Hadley is ranting "I want him out, I want him out". Security asked why and I told them "all I said was the footy show will be better this year and he grabbed me."
Some old guy standing nearby who saw the whole thing told the security guard i was telling the truth. I stayed in. Hadley went back to his commentary box. I waited 5 minutes after security left and walked past the glass at the front of Hadleys box, tapped on the window and waved to him. I could almost see the steam coming from his ears. :)

Mark from Brisbane said:
MK Eagle said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbTtA0A8YAQ

bones said:
globaleagle said:
bones said:

Nice!

Did security obey?

Security came over and Hadley is ranting "I want him out, I want him out". Security asked why and I told them "all I said was the footy show will be better this year and he grabbed me."
Some old guy standing nearby who saw the whole thing told the security guard i was telling the truth. I stayed in. Hadley went back to his commentary box. I waited 5 minutes after security left and walked past the glass at the front of Hadleys box, tapped on the window and waved to him. I could almost see the steam coming from his ears. :)

Thanks for finishing the story! And a "happy" ending as well. (keep it clean, perverts.)

Glad you didn't get the boot, a pity (but understandable) you didn't knock him out cold.

I vaguely remember the sevens but I do remember thinking and enjoying the pepsi team winning the coke sevens.

'Morning all.

edit: Cool youtube vid jethro, thanks. Names I haven't thought of in quite awhile.

Thanks Jethro, loved seeing Garts and Jack again, as well as the ever present Cliffy ;)

Wonder how many try assists Cliffy has - must be a world record amount :angel:

Also shows how Blakey just couldn't tackle, but still ran around his old Club a few times :-/

The 7s was truly was a fun concept and I don't know why it stopped.
As I recall, you bought a single ticket for the whole weekend and could sit anywhere. So there was no segregation of Club Fans.
Every Team, including the Internationals, was supported by the crowd. And yes, Manly were dutifully booed by the non-believers in each game:p
Made the wins that much more sweet for we Silvertails:D

Imagine the tries that these more athletic Players in the 21st Century could entertain us with. Great showcase for speed and creative play :idea:

HappilyManly said:
Thanks Jethro, loved seeing Garts and Jack again, as well as the ever present Cliffy ;)

Wonder how many try assists Cliffy has - must be a world record amount :angel:

Also shows how Blakey just couldn't tackle, but still ran around his old Club a few times :-/

The 7s was truly was a fun concept and I don't know why it stopped.
As I recall, you bought a single ticket for the whole weekend and could sit anywhere. So there was no segregation of Club Fans.
Every Team, including the Internationals, was supported by the crowd. And yes, Manly were dutifully booed by the non-believers in each game:p
Made the wins that much more sweet for we Silvertails:D

Imagine the tries that these more athletic Players in the 21st Century could entertain us with. Great showcase for speed and creative play :idea:

Clubs claimed that the interest was waning (have never met a league fan that hated the 7's).
In truth I think a big name player got injured and that scared a few clubs off.
I remember Parra, Us (Manly) and the Dragons use to love it.

There is usually a Nines comp at Cabramatta involving teams from CRL, BRC and NSW Cup and International Teams in early February.

Could this work if they brought the 7s/Nines back on a full time basis:

1 - 16 NRL teams (in pools of 4 - each playing 3 games minimum each)

And an International comp ie:
NZ Maori, Indigenious, Cook Is, Fiji, PNG, Samoa, Tonga, Vanauatu, USA, Canada

Part of the reason I loved the 7's was watching the other Countries playing

If it's eventually successful (judging by the response on here people loved the 7's) invite the ESL maybe even the French team from there comp.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4