Brett Stewart's speed the big question

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
BRETT Stewart reckons pure speed is a "gift".

"You either have it, or you don't," Stewart said yesterday.

It will be the most perplexing question throughout 2011 for the returning Stewart. Will he possess the same dazzling pace after two operations on his left knee and two more on his right?

Yesterday at the Pittwater Sports Clinic in Narrabeen, Stewart went through drills on a trampoline designed to control his foot stride and knee and give him running balance.

The Daily Telegraph was there to watch a fit and healthy Stewart train in front of Manly physiotherapist Andre Rickenbach.

While reluctant to talk with the media after being cleared of a sexual assault allegation, Stewart yesterday spoke for the first time about the coming season and desire for speed.

"Speed is a gift - you either have it or you don't," Stewart said. "Time will tell [if I have lost some pace]. But if I work hard enough at my recovery then the speed will gradually come back. Obviously I think about it [injuries to both knees].

"But I have played enough football to know that confidence builds with each game back and I'll be the same.

"Look at Shane Rodney for example - he's been dogged by injuries and has been one of our most consistent players in recent seasons. Confidence is a great healer.

"I've set a goal to be back for round one against Melbourne."

Stewart sustained another knee injury in round one last season against Wests Tigers - and didn't play again.

It is no coincidence the last time Stewart was fit and flying, Manly won the 2008 grand final 40-0.

At that point he also was the NSW and Australian fullback.

Asked for his 2011 goals, Stewart said: "I want to have an influence on the team and do the job expected of me. I just want to play consistently.

"I've taken on a senior role in the last few years. It's great to see the enthusiasm coming through with the young players.

"I've missed training with the boys, but in future I won't spend as much time on the field training as I did early in my career.

"I'll have to manage my on-field time better and have the right medical and training staff at Manly to monitor that for me. I will be guided by them."

Rickenbach said Stewart was like a Porsche that had been "in a prang."

"We will take things slowly and tick all the boxes," he said.

"[Regaining] speed takes time. Remember Brett hasn't run in a year.

"But he is blessed with natural speed. He is very professional and doesn't cut any corners."

By Dean Ritchie From: The Daily Telegraph

As we saw with Bowen at the cowboys. It took him ages to get his confidence back which also
co-incided with the return of his speed.

I don't think you'll see brett in full flight until he's got a dozen or so matches under his belt.

swoop link said:
As we saw with Bowen at the cowboys. It took him ages to get his confidence back which also
co-incided with the return of his speed.

I don't think you'll see brett in full flight until he's got a dozen or so matches under his belt.
the quicker he gets over the try line the quicker his confidence  comes back....;)

Its not so much his speed I'm worried about.  Its if he can strike up a combination with a new set of halves and a different game style to what it was in 08.

Masked Eagle link said:
Its not so much his speed I'm worried about.  Its if he can strike up a combination with a new set of halves and a different game style to what it was in 08.

Good point ! i did not see him in rnd 1 before he got injured, how did he go in the 60 minutes he played, theres talk that he will be fine on the knee, but the curiosity of him playing with new halves is strange. he had halves that put the try line on a plater for him, what happens if our halves cant to that ?

Copa Eagle link said:
[quote author=Masked Eagle link=topic=186023.msg307525#msg307525 date=1290660145]

Good point ! i did not see him in rnd 1 before he got injured, how did he go in the 60 minutes he played, theres talk that he will be fine on the knee, but the curiosity of him playing with new halves is strange. he had halves that put the try line on a plater for him, what happens if our halves cant to that ?
[/quote]
Ox had his problems, no doubt about that, but he did have a great combination with Snake and so for that matter did Choc and I don't think its just a coincidence that his form was a fair patch down on 09 because of a different set of halves/game plan. 

It will take time especially if Snake can't play any meaningful role in training and in the trials if he's still working on his fitness but I've liked what I've seen from DCE to suggest to me he has the smarts to strike up a dangerous combination but it won't happen straight away. 

I really enjoyed young Hoppa's game last year and expect him to to be even stronger next year which will give Brett that extra bit of time if necessary to ease himself back in.

On another note...just a random question for those who have seen DCE play, can you think of current or past half with a similar game so i can understand how he may best be used by Des.

manlyborn link said:
I really enjoyed young Hoppa's game last year and expect him to to be even stronger next year which will give Brett that extra bit of time if necessary to ease himself back in.

On another note...just a random question for those who have seen DCE play, can you think of current or past half with a similar game so i can understand how he may best be used by Des.

I too rate young hoppa.  To me he is our version of a young Inglis or Folau.  Thats why I wasn't going to be too upset if we let Matai go, 1. because it would save plenty of cash and 2. because it provides a spot in first grade for young hoppa.

As for a halfback who played like DCE.  I can't think of anyone currently playing that fits the bill but he does remind me a bit of former sharks & eels player Adam Dykes.  No so much the success rate of Dykes because most of time he was pretty ordinary but just the way he likes to play, taking it to the line, offloading, little tricky/unexpected plays.

hes very unpredictable, quick, elusive, tall for a half back, hes always very busy, has to be touching the ball each play, good kicking game, has a great passing game on him, his defence needs working on if he wants to play forst grade !

i'm sure with the confidence will come speed. and i always liked the idea that he could end up at 5/8th towards the end of his career.

Copa Eagle link said:
if someone tries to tell us foran is a lock theyre crazy ! he needs to be playing in the halves !

He's pretty much been a centre for most of his career and if you asked him his favourite he'd still say that (at least he did 6 months ago).  But he does have the makings of a great no 6 if he gets a good attacking/organising no 7.  Fingers crossed DCE is that man.

Shane link said:
[quote author=manlyforever08 link=topic=186023.msg307634#msg307634 date=1290734386]
i'm sure with the confidence will come speed. and i always liked the idea that he could end up at 5/8th towards the end of his career.

and put Foran where?
[/quote]back up hooker ..lol

jjai link said:
[quote author=Shane link=topic=186023.msg307636#msg307636 date=1290735466]
[quote author=manlyforever08 link=topic=186023.msg307634#msg307634 date=1290734386]

and put Foran where?
[/quote]back up hooker ..lol

Centre when Matai and Lyon retire,Brett to 5/8

[/quote]

Masked Eagle link said:
[quote author=manlyborn link=topic=186023.msg307620#msg307620 date=1290729244]

I too rate young hoppa.  To me he is our version of a young Inglis or Folau.  Thats why I wasn't going to be too upset if we let Matai go, 1. because it would save plenty of cash and 2. because it provides a spot in first grade for young hoppa.

As for a halfback who played like DCE.  I can't think of anyone currently playing that fits the bill but he does remind me a bit of former sharks & eels player Adam Dykes.  No so much the success rate of Dykes because most of time he was pretty ordinary but just the way he likes to play, taking it to the line, offloading, little tricky/unexpected plays.
[/quote]
Copa Eagle link said:
hes very unpredictable, quick, elusive, tall for a half back, hes always very busy, has to be touching the ball each play, good kicking game, has a great passing game on him, his defence needs working on if he wants to play forst grade !

I thought the young halves did a pretty good job for us last year and I don't want to sound like an armchair critic but I did think we lacked that certain spark and unpredictability, especially in the oppositions 20.

It's been a while since we've had someone who will take the line on. Lets hope he's the one !

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4