Brett Stewart wants to stay at Manly— for at least three or four years

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Typo alert "... can still stiff out a try".
I get stirrings for a Snake try as much as the next supporter but thanks to Geddes and the MD for clearly announcing it!
I'll never say the Prince of Brookie doesn't have 4 more years but that is a big commitment.

Might've been an intentional reference to Snake going the tug after breaking Beaver's record ...at least that's what Peter Fitzsimons criticised him for doing when everyone else knew he was doing the Beaver dance.

Snake has earned the right to call it a day when he wants. I wished Beaver could have done the same.

i dont think we could of sent beaver off any better than watching him cross the line in the 2008 GF, not many players get that luxury. He moved on so the younger players could stay and i dont think he was complaining when the big paycheck from the UK cleared. he will always be loved just like toovs and snake

Last edited:
I'm as big a snake fan as anyone and IMO is still the best ball playing fullback in the comp (although Matt Moylan is getting closer). However, (and I mentioned this in other threads), IMO he has become gun shy under the high ball. He used to be without fear and seemed to go for years without dropping a bomb, but the amount of times he just lets it bounce is a worry for me. Those few extra seconds he takes to get to a bouncing ball, let alone the unpredictable nature of a bouncing footy, is hurting us in stages of games. Every meter we lose in those instances can make a difference, especially when we know our pack can struggle at times. I'm not unhappy that Snake wants to stay, I hope he catches and passes Slater in the try scoring stakes but its definitely an element of his game he needs to recapture his best if we are to be a title contender while he's here.

Had the same issues under the high ball pre 2007. I believe during the time when we couldn't win at night either. I felt his defense, especially one-on-one & try saving tackles really went up a couple of notches around 5 years ago.

Snake is a fullback. He is NOT a 5/8 and for anyone who thinks that at this stage of his career that his body can handle moving to the front line and making 20+ more tackles per game.....I suggest you submit yourself for drug testing sometime this week.

I have no problems with Snake playing for 3-4 more years at Manly so long as his body and motivation are up to it. But that future should be as its always been....as a fullback.

Just my opinion.

Snake is a brilliant player but nothing like the defensive fullback that he was. :cool:

I don't see how criticizing his effort this year in defense/high ball catches, is some kind of vendetta on my part. :shake:

The new gen Players are all bigger and faster than the ones he previously had to defend against - FACT!

Snake is dreaming if he believes that he can maintain his already waning body, for another 4 years of NRL. @:cool:

Or by asking for more than a one year extension as has been mooted previously, he is setting us up for another Glenn-like saga, when the Club (looking to the future) doesn't offer him what he wants.

I see the hand of Zorba in all this. Things won't be the same for him when all his Hasler-era acolytes* move on, so he is desperately trying to hang onto Brett.

* And he finds himself marooned (ha,ha) in the DCE era.

Would we like a mulligan on the Ballin/Matai/Killer extensions or are they deemed ok?

Fix your rift with Dce before you decide how long you want to stay.

Maybe they are.
Maybe they both realise that the success of their team ( and their careers ) largely depends on them.

Maybe I'm being an optimist but sometimes people move on from holding a grudge and realise the bigger picture.

Snake is a brilliant player but nothing like the defensive fullback that he was. :cool:

I don't see how criticizing his effort this year in defense/high ball catches, is some kind of vendetta on my part. :shake:

The new gen Players are all bigger and faster than the ones he previously had to defend against - FACT!

Snake is dreaming if he believes that he can maintain his already waning body, for another 4 years of NRL. @:cool:

I don't know, it just seems that every Stewart topic that comes up you're having a crack at him in some way, a lot seemingly because reportedly he isn't best mates with DCE

The players can get as big and fast as they like, but size won't beat a good technique which is exactly what Stewart has, our coach is a good example of that as well. Inglis and Burgess are among 2 of the biggest in their positions and last year he stopped both with copybook defence while the commentators were saying certain try. Other than an off night against the Bronocs I can't remember many others getting past him this season

In the article he says his body is as good as it has been for a long time, I'm willing to back he and the staffs view on that one, as they are the ones that would know, and he hasn't shown any signs on the field to suggest that isn't the case

We still need him for at least two maybe three years teaching tommy the ropes. Hopefully the hatchet gets buried though don't need the disharmony anchor weighing us down any further

Not sure where this talk about Snake's defence being crap this year has come from. His speed saved a try against the Cowgirls when he ran down Coote who for all intents would have been in under the posts. Unfortunately though that break by Coote opened up the defence and left Hiku with a 3 on 1 which JT fully exploited to grab the win (though it didn't stop some here claiming that Hiku was at fault).

As for Snake not making metres like other fullbacks.....yeah it would be nice if he did that but at the same time I'm not surprised. And seriously, when you have a hard runner like Jorge back there with you why wouldn't you let him do most of the work carrying the ball back from a kick?

I think he wants a 1-2 yr extension on his existing contract.
He coul do that. He turned thirty in Feb. look at Mini who went through rough patches and everyone said he was past it then he was in some career best form for 13/14.
Snake has been through so much injury and media negativity in his career. He seems to have moved.on with Cherry. Personally I don't blame him for sticking by his brother and his mates last year. I'dd stick by my brother too.
Love the Snake and hope he finishes his career scoring a try a Brookie

Last edited:
Rugby ? Grow up clown.

Slater's standing among the greats is unquestioned. Brett, as good as he's been will be on the rung underneath the greatest ever fullbacks. Brett's big let down is his kick returns . I can count on two hands the amount of times he's made a clear break from a kick return. This is fundamentally the most important part of a fullbacks game.
I love Brett Stewart and his game has evolved into being a distributor, but I'm a realist and only a fool would knock Slaters credentials . Regardless of how much of a tool Slater is, he is one of the top fullbacks of all time.

If there is one player who deserves to call it quits when he wants its brett stewart. He may not be great in terms of kick returns but his defence and ability to generate tryassist/tries is the best I have seen from a fullback. It is easy to be harsh on great players when our forward pack is full of plodders besides a few and there are coaching/player group issues like this year.

Too much rubbish has gone on at the club this year for me not to question why he is bringing this up now. Why now? Anyone?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6