Brett Stewart to wing?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Couldn't agree more. If Snake comes back from surgery and can physically handle the demands of the game, I would put him straight into the 1 jersey for his last year. However, that is a MASSIVE if. He body has been shot for years now. Rumour is that he has barely trained with the team because his body isn't up to it. So, I don't see it happening (him recovering) to the point where he can pin the ears back (circa '05-'09) and play anywhere in the side. I don't think his attidude was the issue last year, I think he knew that if he pushed too hard his hammie or knee would blow out. Such a shame. IMO he would have been the best 1 of his era if injuries didn't curse him.
I agree, i also think he already is one of the best fullbacks in the modern era without a doubt. Infact he is one of manly's best ever and will also miss him once he hangs up the boots. Happy we have a great replacement in Tom Trbojevic who will likely surpass snake in the next decade... The next Golden Era

I agree, i also think he already is one of the best fullbacks in the modern era without a doubt. Infact he is one of manly's best ever and will also miss him once he hangs up the boots. Happy we have a great replacement in Tom Trbojevic who will likely surpass snake in the next decade... The next Golden Era
Really hope Turbo is the next big thing. Early signs are definetely there. Just hope he doesn't let it get to his head as other young stars have done in the past. I remember how good Snake was when he first came onto the scene.. Half a chance and he was away, ears pinned back and no one was catching him. I don't mean to sound too critical but I think Turbo has a long way to go before he earns the rep Snake did. Let's hope he leads us into a new era of greatness!!

^ Agree. I'd love it if Turbo Tom learned to stay involved in the game at all times like Matt Moylan. We need him to be great if he's going to replace Brett. We all have short memories, but to my mind Snake is one of the greatest, most gifted players I've ever seen. Let's not forget that.

Compared to the Snake early years, TT is about as quick as a fast backrower, but its difficult to assess, cause Tom has had that bad ankle. Lets hope, actually we NEED, that injury to not become chronic.
As for Snake playing Wing, if fit, I can't see Bozo, Twenty, Penn or anyone else asking him to play there, however I can see them asking TT to play centre for 1 year. These guys must do what's best for the club, making the best, most efficient use of the cap dollars already committed.
Brett would only have to score a try or two early on in the season, and all posters in these forums would instantly forget Brett' s bad year.

I would happily put Snake on the wing.....in a team of Manly's best ever (we couldn't seriously have a best ever team without either Wombat or Snake and with his speed we could easily put Snake on the wing).

But as for actually playing him in the #2 or #5 jumpers for NRL premiership games.....no.

I would happily put Snake on the wing.....in a team of Manly's best ever (we couldn't seriously have a best ever team without either Wombat or Snake and with his speed we could easily put Snake on the wing).

But as for actually playing him in the #2 or #5 jumpers for NRL premiership games.....no.

Sure you could V8. You wouldn't have a best ever team with both Freddie Jones and Max Krilich in it. You wouldn't put Freddie on the wing just to have him in the side, so why put a fullback on the wing...it would be an insult to some of our great wingers

I started to edit .... then I got confused so I just left it for anyone who gets off on cryptic crosswords

Putting Stewart on the wing would be an insult to him, people seem to forget how good he was and if he's capable of playing near his best next year then he deserves his number 1 jersey. Tom will have to bide his time or they could share the fullback role by switching positions during games.
I'd rather see him at 5/8 than wing tbh.

Putting Stewart on the wing would be an insult to him, people seem to forget how good he was and if he's capable of playing near his best next year then he deserves his number 1 jersey. Tom will have to bide his time or they could share the fullback role by switching positions during games.
If he is fit enough to play even half his best then he should be at fullback. Tom is awesome there but he could still do with tightening up in defense from a legend like Snake.

^ Agree. I'd love it if Turbo Tom learned to stay involved in the game at all times like Matt Moylan. We need him to be great if he's going to replace Brett. We all have short memories, but to my mind Snake is one of the greatest, most gifted players I've ever seen. Let's not forget that.
I will never forget the skill of snake. It was until this season that I believed he was the best fullback of his time and hope he can get his injuries right and return to the Gun we know him as. My favourite manly player of all time...

IMG_0759.JPG

Attachments

• Snake.jpg
    Snake.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 12
I think many have the Brett Stewart of 2003-2009 confused with the Brett Stewart of 2013-16. Before he started to get serious injuries and face that travesty of a court case and embarrassing response by the League, he was the equal if not better than any full back in the game, including superior to Slater. In later years he was still dynamic but he was no longer as confident and dangerous, though still one of the best playing. In the last two years he has looked tentative.

In the best of his days, yes he would be superior to Tom as he is today. But Tom has already surpassed Brett's performances in recent years and even if Stewart gets some of his speed and overall performance back, Tom is now the better full back and will probably be even better next year. No way would you deny him the No 1 role now unless we had the Stewart of 2008-9.

I also think very highly of Stewart and have him in my best ever Manly team, though on the wing with Eadie at full back. But realistically Brett is no longer the player he once was. He could come back and play some fine football for us yet, but Tom has the age on him and is getting better every game. He's already the best backline player we have, with the possible exception of DCE. Would love Stewart to come back fit, but sorry, wing only and as Rex indicated he could play a swapping role with Tom during the game.

I think many have the Brett Stewart of 2003-2009 confused with the Brett Stewart of 2013-16. Before he started to get serious injuries and face that travesty of a court case and embarrassing response by the League, he was the equal if not better than any full back in the game, including superior to Slater. In later years he was still dynamic but he was no longer as confident and dangerous, though still one of the best playing. In the last two years he has looked tentative.

In the best of his days, yes he would be superior to Tom as he is today. But Tom has already surpassed Brett's performances in recent years and even if Stewart gets some of his speed and overall performance back, Tom is now the better full back and will probably be even better next year. No way would you deny him the No 1 role now unless we had the Stewart of 2008-9.

I also think very highly of Stewart and have him in my best ever Manly team, though on the wing with Eadie at full back. But realistically Brett is no longer the player he once was. He could come back and play some fine football for us yet, but Tom has the age on him and is getting better every game. He's already the best backline player we have, with the possible exception of DCE. Would love Stewart to come back fit, but sorry, wing only and as Rex indicated he could play a swapping role with Tom during the game.
He doesn't have the speed or tackling capabilities he once did. He is very slow now which is crucial for him,

Sure you could V8. You wouldn't have a best ever team with both Freddie Jones and Max Krilich in it. You wouldn't put Freddie on the wing just to have him in the side, so why put a fullback on the wing...it would be an insult to some of our great wingers

I do see your point, but Freddie Jones to the wing? And we think Jorge is slow for a winger lol. But seriously, how do you choose between Wombat and Snake? One is our greatest point scorer, the other our record try scorer.

Snoz O'Connor was on the wing of our 60th Anniversary Dream Team in 2006 and although he did play wing for NSW and Australia, he never did for Manly. In fact, he never played a club game on the wing, not for St George, not for Manly and not for St Helens.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2