BRETT STEWART TO SIGN WITH DRAGONS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Clint said:
slickster71 said:
Just heards on the Alan Jones program that Brett Stewart about to sign with the Dragons on a long term deal

As my Dragons supporting wife said Alan Jones would know this why???

Oh hang on - "Hi AJ its Snake here have I got some news for you" - NOT

Brett wouldnt leak it to the media, but his manager might, Zorba would

There is no doubt that Brett is a champion bloke and player in his own right. But good players can make other players look better too.
As mentioned, if we can keep our halves, they have the ability to make average players look great.
We have had plenty of potentially great players leave our club and go on to do nothing because they have not got the cattle around them that they did here.
I'm not saying for a minute that this is the case for Brett but all I'm saying is that the likes of Foz and DCE, have the ability to help make a replacement (if Brett does go) look better than what they would be otherwise.

Whatever happens re. Snake remember that Melbourne retained their stars by cheating the cap. Manly wins comps the honest way and often facing adversity. We'll lose some stars, rebuild and find ways to win as history proves.

bones said:
Andrew Webster was on the BSB this morning saying he has heard the rumours but he doesn't think anything has been done yet. He said in all honesty he can't see Brett leaving Glenn. He also said Glenn is contracted til the end of 2014, not 2013. I always thought it was 2014, but others are saying 2013. Does anyone know for certain which is right?

Heard that as well bones. He also said that it was his understanding that that a deal with Foran was very close to being done (with us, that is).

StuBoot said:
Doesn't make sense to me.
They had Moltzen with his career in front of him for probably half the dosh but let him stay at the Tiges and then sign up Snake.
Didn't the cap squeeze out quite a few quality forwards at the Dragons,
Gaz was apparently on a lot but not that much, surely.

I would say a large part of their cap went with Boyd and Gaz leaving. That would probably free up room for Brett.

Their concern would have to be a halfback how much longer does Hornby have left?

niccipops said:
Whatever happens re. Snake remember that Melbourne retained their stars by cheating the cap. Manly wins comps the honest way and often facing adversity. We'll lose some stars, rebuild and find ways to win as history proves.

Depends on quality recruitment. Otherwise back to Northern Eagles days..

Daniel said:
Chip and Chase said:
It will be a long long time before we find a fullback of his quality

We potentially had one in Hoppa, but let him go as well.

I disagree, hoppa was good but he never would have been of the same ilk as Brett. Brett is a unique player and a completely different style to Hoppa. He would have been handy, but not the same.

Well lets hope this kid people are talking about in the SG Ball can make a rapid rise to NRL

Agree that Hoppa is a differet style of player to Brett, but IMO he could have been POTENTIALLY as important as Brett. Different style of attacking weaponary, but could have been as equally as effective, definitely better than "handy". Anyway lets hope that he doesn't live up to that potential for the Eels sake.

arty said:
niccipops said:

Depends on quality recruitment. Otherwise back to Northern Eagles days..

Even though we have lost Crusher, I think we still have some of the best scouts, recruitment team and development team in the business. This is not a concern.

The biggest concern is, how many Brett Stewarts come along in a lifetime?

All reports this gutherson could be something special? we havent seen Tafua yet? has the build of a centre IMO but apparantly can play FB to.
Cant write things off yet just cause a player PERHAPS could be leaving.

Stewart got his chance at a young age and took it we now need someone to step up , i have faith in our club to deliver the goods

There never seems to be a shortage of quality fullbacks in the NRL. There are probably 4 or 5 playing now that I'd happily have slot into Manly colours to replace Brett.

Never a dull moment around this place.

Cant say anything that hasn't already been said, cept good luck Brett with whatever choice you deem necessary to go forward.

Even if he does go to the Dragons I reckon his heart will always be with Manly.

bones said:
If true, I hope he uses this as motivation to win one last premiership in Manly colours. If true it makes me more confident about going back to back this year but less confirmed about next year. This could be the last year he ever gets to play with Glenn... Perfect motivation to go B2B. He will still always be one of my favourite players (providing he stays away from the Belmore scum). Would be sad to see him cop any flack from Manly fans. I think we should really send him off as the champion player and person that he is. The salary cap is forcing him out, he has done nothing wrong by Manly. Hasler played his part in this by tying up the old guys to contracts, stuffing up our salary cap. I'm sure Zorba will be smiling on hearing this news too. He would have been in Barry Stewarts ear on their rebel WCC tour. Zorba will see this as getting one over Dave Perry. Zorba is filth. Life, and Manly will go on. I wish Brett nothing but the best and if Manly don't win the premiership next year, I'll be cheering for Stewie to bag another.

If it's not true..... Awesome! And Zorba is filth.
+1. I agree 1000% bones

You would think if Eags had to let Snake go they would have a plan B. Not quite sure what it is but I have to say I haven't been disappointed thus far. Cherry is a great example.

Cambo said:
bones said:
If true, I hope he uses this as motivation to win one last premiership in Manly colours. If true it makes me more confident about going back to back this year but less confirmed about next year. This could be the last year he ever gets to play with Glenn... Perfect motivation to go B2B. He will still always be one of my favourite players (providing he stays away from the Belmore scum). Would be sad to see him cop any flack from Manly fans. I think we should really send him off as the champion player and person that he is. The salary cap is forcing him out, he has done nothing wrong by Manly. Hasler played his part in this by tying up the old guys to contracts, stuffing up our salary cap. I'm sure Zorba will be smiling on hearing this news too. He would have been in Barry Stewarts ear on their rebel WCC tour. Zorba will see this as getting one over Dave Perry. Zorba is filth. Life, and Manly will go on. I wish Brett nothing but the best and if Manly don't win the premiership next year, I'll be cheering for Stewie to bag another.

If it's not true..... Awesome! And Zorba is filth.
+1. I agree 1000% bones

Don't get me wrong Cambo but I always thought you had a fair bit of respect for zorba.

Clay said:
Brett wouldnt leak it to the media, but his manager might, Zorba would

This.

There is currently negitiations going on with Manly for a new contract, and this sort of story may help Bretts side of the negotiations.

Happens in most team sports at the time of discussing contracts, wait for the leak to media we are looking at signing Flash Gordon, or someone similar, just to swing things back the other way.

Almost never beleive this stuff until everyone likely in the know is screaming it, or there is an official release.

Manly as a club has always neen secretive about their players retention and contracts. I cant see why it wouldnt change, i dont have any doubt that other clubs would be after Brett, id like to think that Manly would be his preference at any cost. If he goes its a huge loss but can be covered. My point is, dont believe anything that the media is bringing up. Weve all learnt this.

Would love brett to stay, as would everyone i'm sure, but as has been said, id rather see the younger stocks signed up long term. Hopefully club can find a way to make it work, but if not, it isn't the end of the world.

Regarding Gordon, i had heard from a pretty reliable source a few years back that we were chasing him a few years ago as a back up for brett / wingers and he was close to signing, but the look of our backline at the time, to him he didn't think he was going to get a crack beyond being a backup so he signed the panthers deal.

Even if Brett goes, i don't think the club would have the $$ to sign a big name fullback once upgrades and securing youth long term happens, so hopefully the kids we have can step up, we haven't been let down by youth in the past few years so im sure they have something up their sleeve.

Transfer Windows / trade periods / contract settling times need to happen, it puts a dampener on the season when there's more talk about player movement than the games themselves during the season. and as has been mentioned, more room to move in the salary cap for 1 club players.

I think fullback is the 1 position on the field you can't gamble with. Every other player on the field has an opposite that can cover. If your halfback is inexperienced then your 5/8 can cover him. Centres can cover wingers and vice versa. Since fullback is your last line of defence you need to be sure he can handle the pressure of #1. I'd rather recruit if needed.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7