Brett Stewart Talks LIVE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

chrisos

Reserve Grader
Just to let you guys know Brett will be talking live thursday night on the footy show on 9 about the case etc....

If I was Brett I'd have a media ban on and not talk to anyone. **** them.

Or maybe Brett should make an appearance on the ch7 show with that other dick matty johns just to piss gallop off.

Masked Eagle link said:
What did Fatty say?
He led off the first show of 2009 with a two minute diatribe aimed at Brett Stewart.  Gross disloyalty from a former club captain.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Masked Eagle link=topic=185580.msg299480#msg299480 date=1285763757]
What did Fatty say?
He led off the first show of 2009 with a two minute diatribe aimed at Brett Stewart.  Gross disloyalty from a former club captain.
[/quote]

Without wishing to stir up a hornets next, but maybe he did go over the top but can't we all move on from this.  To be honest some of the talk about retribution and the like has me feeling as ill as when the charges were initially laid.

I'll stick up for Fatty a bit, all he had to go on was what was reported in the papers which to be honest wasn't that good.  All I think he was trying to say was that sort of behaviour isn't acceptable, he's no scholar and I'm guessing he just went off the top of his head so he probably did go over the top.

As a side note, I really don't understand the Fatty hate.  This guy gave as much of himself on the field in a maroon & white jumper as any man has, he's been turfed out not once, but twice by the club he loves and because he has at times doesn't show complete 110% blinded loyalty to the club he's hated on by a lot of Manly supporters.  Everyone knows his time in administration wasn't a great point, but he stepped in not because he thought it would help his media career or he could make a buck out of it.  He stepped in because he saw a place he loved struggling and wanted to help.

A lot of Manly supporters have turned on him at times over the years because they don't think he supports the club as much we do but on the flip side all non Manly supporters see him as one eyed a Manly commentator you can get.  Can't win.

Nah, Fatty lost me last year with his tirade against Brett.

I couldn't give two ****s if he still supports Manly or if he is now a Titans man. His onslaught last year was a disgrace.

Masked Eagle,

Here's my recollections:
What sickened me about Fatty was that he broke the innocent until proven guilty rule against Brett.  My memory is that his statements about Brett Stewart had a very strong presumption of guilt, and he was sycophantic in his strong support of Gallop's suspension and tirades against Brett. And sycophantic in his adoration of that lady - Magnay?- who I'm remembering as vitriolic in her attacks on Brett, again all charged with a presumption of guilt.

Not once do I recall him pulling back the media hysteria with a statement about Brett's entitlement to a presumption of innocence.  Not once do I recall him seeking to separate unproven and disputed, and now disproven, allegations about Brett from the issue of factual mistreatment of women by Rugby League players. Not the way to treat a mate, or anyone for that matter.

Now my memory may be faulty, and I'm open to be convinced I'm wrong.  But Fatty's got a long way to go to win back the volumes of respect I previously had for him.

And I'm more than happy to move on when he mans up or I'm shown to be wrong in my recollections. Otherwise I'll move on with tarnished respect for him.

It's brave of Brett to front up to the media so soon, and especially to Fatty who did not help matters at all with that tirade of his.  In all seriousness, the footy show definitely owe him an apology for how they treated him.  I remember them refering to the so called "poor girl" and Brett's drunken behaviour in the "stair well".  To get a journalist to give an opinion was also ridiculous and she spun everything in a negative way

I also remember they showed a video of him recorded earlier that day talking about how players should be well behaved, which should have worked in his favour, but they didn't portray it that way.

i am gobsmaked hes going on the footy show. thats the last place i expected him to go to. Isnt he selling the story? Footy show wont pay much would they?

I hope Brett gives them a solid 'up yours' when he is on there!! He owes that show nothing, and I'm with the others regarding Fatty. I always thought he was great being a former Manly champion etc, but I wasn't at all impressed with how he reacted when this story first broke.

Cleared NRL star Brett Stewart forced to sell story

http://www.news.com.au/national/cleared-nrl-star-brett-stewart-to-sell-story/story-e6frfkvr-1225932032475

NRL poster boy Brett Stewart is in negotiations to sell his story after spending his lifesavings on defending sexual assault allegations in court.

The Manly Sea Eagles rugby league player was yesterday found not guilty in a Sydney court of two counts of sexually assaulting a teenage neighbour outside his unit block in Manly, in Sydney's north, on March 6 last year, The Australian reported.

Stewart, 25, burst into tears when the jury's verdict was announced, ending 18 months of anxiety for the fullback, his beauty therapist girlfriend Jaime Baker and his parents, Barry and Narelle, who sat beside him in the NSW District Court.

Stewart and his family, including brother and fellow Sea Eagles player Glenn Stewart, left court via a rear exit, evading the cameras and guaranteeing an exclusive story for the highest bidder.

The Nine Network last night promoted what it billed as an exclusive interview with Stewart to run on The Footy Show tonight.

Sources close to the player said Stewart, who is understood to earn about $400,000 a year, spent his lifesavings on defending the case and was now hoping to recoup some of the money.

Stewart employed Tony Bellanto QC and legal sources say the top silk, along with a junior barrister and instructing solicitor, would cost almost $200,000 for the 10-day trial and two-day committal hearing.

The only person to speak outside court on behalf of Stewart was his solicitor, Ian Byrne. "This was a case of a girl with hallucinations and delusions," Mr Byrne said.

The woman, now 19, alleged she was approached by a drunken Stewart who stuck his tongue down her throat and digitally penetrated her.

But in Stewart's version, which the jury believed, the girl grabbed him by the arm and tried to kiss him.

Yesterday's verdict brought an end to 18 months of hell for the one time face of rugby league.

Stewart sat in the beechwood dock of the District Court for the past two weeks, quietly seething that he was there at all.

Because what Stewart knows - but a court order prevents any media outlet from revealing - is that there have always been severe doubts about the veracity of the claims made against him, the Daily Telegraph reported.

The girl who made the allegations suffers from a mental illness but the extent of her condition, treatment and her symptoms cannot be published by court order.

Trial Judge Jonathan Williams felt it necessary to urge the jury in his summing up of the case to tread carefully when weighing up the reliability of the teenager's testimony in light of her psychiatric condition.

Her father's evidence also drew stunned looks from the jury - a convicted fraudster who the judge described as a "volatile man" happily admitted to the court that he once had to "look in his wallet" to work out which name he was using on any given day.

What a great pity he now has to sell his story to recoup. Gallop and the NRL should compensate in part.
Reluctantly I will be watching tonight.

I don't live in Australia so would greatly appreciate it if anyone out there could record the interview (obviously not interested in the rest of the show) and post it on you-tube or any other outlet.

This is the first post I've made on the trial/incident. Like everyone else I have to say a massive thanks to Dan & especially DSM5 for keeping us informed in summary on all that went on in the trial (that was allowable).

Thanks to the daily updates I actually wasn't that nervous when the jury retired as I couldn't possibly see how they could've delivered a guilty verdict on any of the charges. You never know... but despite my one-eyed opinion, I could not see how they could've found him guilty based on what was posted here.

My main emotion was disappointment again in our legal system & seeing almost first hand the damage it has caused to this (I find) very respectable citizen & his family.

Volley link said:
Nah, Fatty lost me last year with his tirade against Brett.

I couldn't give two s**ts if he still supports Manly or if he is now a Titans man. His onslaught last year was a disgrace.

I'm with you Volly, I was a big Fatty fan in years gone by but he lost me with that....he can **** off forever as much as I care.....I haven't watched the footy show once since that!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4