Brett Stewart rumour

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Harvies Elbow, Bob Batty was a crowd favourite in his time during the late 60s. Probably most on this forum never saw Batty play. No question Eadie and Stewart are the two best we've had, but Batty was a top goal kicker, pretty decent attacking full back and solid defender.

Known as The Road Runner because of his speed and running style, he never represented Australia because he lived during the age of some top full backs like Les Johns, Graeme Langlands, Ken Thornett and Keith Barnes, but I believe he was under-rated and should have played at least a couple. In my mind he is No 4 at Manly as a full back after Eadie, Stewart, Shearer. I think he was better than Ridge, even though Ridge played for NZ.

Bear, I agree, but one of the best fullbacks I have seen only played one game in that position for Manly. He had an absolute ripper and was MOM. And that was Ray Brannigan.

Ray originally came to Manly from Souff's on the basis that he would get the fullback gig,, (sound familiar) because at bunnies they had Eric Simms and he owned the FB job due to his goal kicking.

Unfortunately his arrival coincided with Eadie so he went in to the centres. Eadie was injured one week and Ray went to FB and as I said ripped em a new one. This was in the days of the FG team jerseys being collected after the game and washed by someones mom (yes mom).

When the old dressing room attendant coming around picking up the dirty jerseys got to Ray and asked for the #1 Ray replied he had no idea where the jersey was, this dispite the fact that it was in plain view, half stuffed into the bag at his feet. No one saw fit to correct Ray.

Harvies Elbow, Bob Batty was a crowd favourite in his time during the late 60s. Probably most on this forum never saw Batty play. No question Eadie and Stewart are the two best we've had, but Batty was a top goal kicker, pretty decent attacking full back and solid defender.

Known as The Road Runner because of his speed and running style, he never represented Australia because he lived during the age of some top full backs like Les Johns, Graeme Langlands, Ken Thornett and Keith Barnes, but I believe he was under-rated and should have played at least a couple. In my mind he is No 4 at Manly as a full back after Eadie, Stewart, Shearer. I think he was better than Ridge, even though Ridge played for NZ.
Great post Bearfax thanks. Bob was just a fraction before my time but you have jogged my memory and last year saw a replay of I think the 1970 gf and remember thinking how great he played and how fluently he ran.
When we rate great players we should research those who played before us , those we didn't see and listen to those who did. I'm interested in the late great Ron Willey and what sort of a player he was. I imagine he would have been as tough as a fullback could be in those days.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4