Brett Stewart latest injury

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
One day some individual may be insightful enough to realise there is a gap in convential approaches to health and performance at clubs. Repetitive injuries occur not just becaus of fate or bad luck, but perhaps something more fundamental that is missed by current approaches. But then again, such an individual would need to navigate the politics of people with a vested interest in the status quo.

The majority of NRL teams are in a financial situation that sees them treading water. The function that underlies the entire enterprise of an NRL team is to have players taking the field and playing. Without the players, the entire concept of a sporting team is moot.

In my opinion, I do not find the efforts taken to maintain the health and safety of the players to be a political issue. The health of the players is not only an unambiguous onus upon the club, but on the NRL and the legal requirements of duty of care by health practitioners.

If we are going to scrutinise the players' health, remember how many things they are tested for concerning performance enhancing drugs, or the like.

Personally, I cannot see how the injuries are in any way a consequence of political dealings within a club or within the NRL. I do not see how any level of player safety treatments would be profitably compromised to maintain a status quo.

After all that, please forgive me if I have missed the point you are trying to make. I am really tired, so if my response is the masterpiece of a pure drongo, I apologise. I just think that the players' welfare is of the utmost importance to each club, and each club would search for anything to keep their players fit.

Again, I'm sorry if I have replied with a dud message.

Cheers!

The majority of NRL teams are in a financial situation that sees them treading water. The function that underlies the entire enterprise of an NRL team is to have players taking the field and playing. Without the players, the entire concept of a sporting team is moot.

In my opinion, I do not find the efforts taken to maintain the health and safety of the players to be a political issue. The health of the players is not only an unambiguous onus upon the club, but on the NRL and the legal requirements of duty of care by health practitioners.

If we are going to scrutinise the players' health, remember how many things they are tested for concerning performance enhancing drugs, or the like.

Personally, I cannot see how the injuries are in any way a consequence of political dealings within a club or within the NRL. I do not see how any level of player safety treatments would be profitably compromised to maintain a status quo.

After all that, please forgive me if I have missed the point you are trying to make. I am really tired, so if my response is the masterpiece of a pure drongo, I apologise. I just think that the players' welfare is of the utmost importance to each club, and each club would search for anything to keep their players fit.

Again, I'm sorry if I have replied with a dud message.

Cheers!

Thanks Quirkster, certainly not a dud post. Thanks for sharing. The politics I was referring to is more to do with maintaining status quo from within certain dominant health care categories. For example, I know a holistic health worker who was pushed from an English soccer team largely by the physios in that team, who felt threatened by what he was doing and results he was getting that they couldn't understand from their perspective.

Yes, its a safe assumption that a club would want their players healthy and on the field as often as possible, and the best staff to make that happen. Nevertheless, deciding who that staff is is not necessarily a decision that a club is in the best position to make, and they are going to rely on the status quo of the health industry.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not poo pooing professionals like physios, they have an important role. However, there are limitations to that role and of others within that accepted field of health professionals. And when you get players like Brett with the same recurring injuries, it doesn't take Einstein to deduct there is an underlying issue that the current crop of medical staff can't address.

Last edited:
it doesn't take Einstein to deduct their is an underlying issue that the current crop of medical staff can't address.
Doesn't mean anyone else can address it, though. In any case I think Manly aren't totally stuck in conservative methods, I know they were already using yoga several years ago, for example.

Not sure what the answer is. Maybe a resurfacing of Brookvale oval or there's something in the water .. ?

Seems to be a very high 'coincidence' of Manly & ex Manly players with hamstring & other serious long-term debilitating injuries. There's Millions of dollars at stake.

Not sure what the answer is. Maybe a resurfacing of Brookvale oval or there's something in the water .. ?

Seems to be a very high 'coincidence' of Manly & ex Manly players with hamstring & other serious long-term debilitating injuries. There's Millions of dollars at stake.
Snake did this on Pittwater Park during a trial.
The fact that Snake tore both ACLs in consecutive years in 2009/10, meant he had to have one leg broken to realign it. He was in danger of not ever running again, but Donny Singe had him on a trampoline for about a year and Snake learnt to run again. :)

Foran on the other hand, is just a Sooky Pants dribbler who limps around after Dalai @:p Thankfully he is no longer polarizing Manly @:cool:

I think most players who sprint and swerve on grass are vulnerable to hamstrings and related ACLs.
Tate had it, Tedesco, GI...

The fact that Snake tore both ACLs in consecutive years in 2009/10, meant he had to have one leg broken to realign it. He was in danger of not ever running again, but Donny Singe had him on a trampoline for about a year and Snake learnt to run again. :)

Foran on the other hand, is just a Sooky Pants dribbler who limps around after Dalai @:p Thankfully he is no longer polarizing Manly @:cool:

I think most players who sprint and swerve on grass are vulnerable to hamstrings and related ACLs.

What she said and stick that upya @Eelectric .....lol

No coincidence - run hard, play hard and injuries happen. Don't worry, Parra players shouldn't suffer any.

Fairly certain Snake's injuries were cartilage related rather than ACLs

I'm fairly certain it was acl both years, anyone got the inside info.
Cartlidge injuries don't knock you out for the season in round 3 or whenever it was. I'm fairly sure he's ruptured both acl's. Cartlidge is usually damaged in acl injuries though, I'm sure he's got no meniscus in either knee anymore.

Snake definitely did his ACL in 2010, not 100% sure it was an ACL in 2009 though because he did make it back in time for our short finals run. It might have been.

Cartlidge injuries don't knock you out for the season in round 3 or whenever it was. I'm fairly sure he's ruptured both acl's. Cartlidge is usually damaged in acl injuries though, I'm sure he's got no meniscus in either knee anymore.

Sounds like Terry Lamb at the end of his career. No cartlidge's left in either knee (I don't envy the bloke as he starts heading towards old age)

Didn't Matt Shirvington say before the opening game that Snake might be out longer than we all hope, like a couple of months? I hope he's wrong. Not that I have a problem with Tommy at fullback, far from it. But its a massive loss of experience and also, who to play on the wing. No Hiku, no Gutho, no Wolfman, no Blair. We have Wiliame (gulp) and two unknowns in Lavaka and Goodall (at a stretch there is Green but we know TB is trying to turn him into a 2nd rower).

Last edited:
I spoke ( at a MWTS function) with Brett whilst he was recuperating from his second ACL ( yep he's done two), he said to me that once you've done one the chances are very high that you'll do another ( as you can't help but favour the other leg ), he also said that another downside was he would become susceptible to hamstring injuries later in his playing career, and bingo we are at that point and have been for a couple of years.

Snake definitely did his ACL in 2010, not 100% sure it was an ACL in 2009 though because he did make it back in time for our short finals run. It might have been.
That's right, he was injured in a Cowboys game in 2009 and the original prognosis was 8 week, it ended up being a fair bit longer, but he did return for the finals.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2