Brett Stewart Interviews x 2

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
There's an interesting interview called "A Beer with Brett" in the March issue of Peninsular Living - Pittwater magazine.

It was enlightening and I really enjoyed it. Here's some excerpts:

"From the start Glenn and I had one rule: if we go somewhere, we are going together", Brett explains. "We wanted to play for our local Country Rugby League team which was Illawarra but they didn't think we'd amount to anything. They weren't interested, but the Sea Eagles saw a video of us and they were. Glenn and I moved up together to the Northern Beaches strictly for footy at the end of 2002."

Brett says his most memorable achievement at the Sea Eagles so far is playing in the 2011 premiership winning team. "It was dad's birthday and Glenn and I both scored a try and Glenn got the Clive Churchill Medal. Dad was at the match - all of my family was. So that was a good birthday present for him. And obviously the few years before that weren't the best, so it was a happy moment after going through all that hardship." Brett reflects.

In regards to the Sea Eagles, Brett loves everything about the club and the team. He says they were all extremely disappointed with losing the premiership to the Sydney Roosters last year. "Coming second was hard to swallow. We might well have come last. I know that's the feeling in our group. We are pretty tough on each other and especially on ourselves. The belief inside the team is never questioned among players."

For this season Brett's insider tips are that Souths, Roosters and of course Sea Eagles will again be up in the top ranks and adds the team is in better shape now than last year. "We are definitely ahead of where we were last year. There were a few of us who had pretty bad injuries last year.......I think we can start this year a lot better and in front of where we did last year."

....."My contract finishes in 2016. I'd be happy with another couple of years after this contract but I never know how my knees are going to hold up...." he says."

These are a few bits I've quoted from the interview for those who can't access the magazine.

I think if he can get to 2016 without too many injuries and time off, then fantastic. Anything after that will be a big bonus!

RE: Brett Stewart Interview

Cheers for posting ALinda. Is there a digital version of this magazine?

Mals said:
Cheers for posting ALinda. Is there a digital version of this magazine?

Thanks Mals. Sorry I don't know - if I could I would.

Hope they continue to stick to their one rule and at Manly for years to come.

I can't agree that finishing second is "like finishing last".
Absolutely not. It was an awesome achievement.
I'm sure none of us want to feel like a Parramatta supporter.

Reading between the lines of what Snake is saying conveys that the team is still hurting re last year's GF defeat, and the hunger to get another premiership still burns. Also his life of extreme highs of achievement and lows of injustice and pain, not the least of which are knee reconstructions on both sides, make him a very strong man.
His memoirs or autobiography when it is finally published will be gripping reading.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Reading between the lines of what Snake is saying conveys that the team is still hurting re last year's GF defeat, and the hunger to get another premiership still burns. Also his life of extreme highs of achievement and lows of injustice and pain, not the least of which are knee reconstructions on both sides, make him a very strong man.
His memoirs or autobiography when it is finally published will be gripping reading.

Snake has never had a knee reconstruction.

Awesome read. There's something magic about the Snake. I hope he stays connected to Manly well beyond his Nrl career.

HappilyManly said:
Ralphie said:

2009 right and 2010 left medial meniscus tear :(
I vaguely recall one year we were all going to put in to pay the cost of growing a new kneecap in a test tube.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
HappilyManly said:
Ralphie said:

I vaguely recall one year we were all going to put in to pay the cost of growing a new kneecap in a test tube.
No Brett's had 2 Full Knee Reconstructions,including the Meniscus, but injury the Meniscus only takes 6 / 8 weeks, not a season ending injury. Brett does most of his own training at Manly, because of these injuries and which is part of his hamstring problems.

Did I ever mention that I love the Snake? Maybe once or twice over the past five years.;) He's had so much adversity in his career, for multiple reasons and just keeps coming back and making key contributions on the field. He is already a Manly legend in my eyes.

niccipops said:
Did I ever mention that I love the Snake? Maybe once or twice over the past five years.;) He's had so much adversity in his career, for multiple reasons and just keeps coming back and making key contributions on the field. He is already a Manly legend in my eyes.

yes yes yes, we all know you're a fan of the big ol snake!

Eagle Rock said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
HappilyManly said:
Ralphie said:

No Brett's had 2 Full Knee Reconstructions,including the Meniscus, but injury the Meniscus only takes 6 / 8 weeks, not a season ending injury. Brett does most of his own training at Manly, because of these injuries and which is part of his hamstring problems.

None of those procedures constitute a knee reconstruction. A damaged meniscus is quite a minor issue, I had mine done before Christmas. What he had was damaged / worn cartilage along with the Meniscus resulting in bone on bone in the joint. He had a procedure to try and create a bunch of scar tissue to have that act as a form of cartilage.

A knee reconstruction is when one or more of the major ligaments is ruptured, most commonly the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) and Brett has never ruptured a major ligament.

I'm not in any way playing down what he has been through. In fact he would probably be better off if he had ruptured a ligament. That can be fixed whereas it is almost impossible to adequately repair cartilage. He will almost certainly face knee replacement surgery at an early age.

Ralphie said:
Eagle Rock said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
HappilyManly said:
Ralphie said:

None of those procedures constitute a knee reconstruction. A damaged meniscus is quite a minor issue, I had mine done before Christmas. What he had was damaged / worn cartilage along with the Meniscus resulting in bone on bone in the joint. He had a procedure to try and create a bunch of scar tissue to have that act as a form of cartilage.

A knee reconstruction is when one or more of the major ligaments is ruptured, most commonly the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) and Brett has never ruptured a major ligament.

I'm not in any way playing down what he has been through. In fact he would probably be better off if he had ruptured a ligament. That can be fixed whereas it is almost impossible to adequately repair cartilage. He will almost certainly face knee replacement surgery at an early age.

Sorry but your wrong, I was only chatting to Brett 5 months ago regarding his injuries, this is part of the story from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Stewart_(rugby_league ..... The 2010 NRL season was one to forget for Stewart. In the first game of the season against the Wests Tigers at the Sydney Football Stadium he tore his Anterior cruciate ligament and missed the rest of the season. Manly were also without the services of star Winger David "Wolfman" Williams who injured his shoulder in the warm-up for that game and was forced to also miss the season after having surgery.

Brett did a media interview on Monday (which is on the MWSE website). I had to laugh when one journo asks him if, with all the time he's missed playing over the years, he feels he needs to make up for it (or words to that effect). Brett's reply was simply "No" and turns his back on him. Basically telling him where to go without saying anything....classic! :D

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6