Brent Kite is set sign a new two-year deal with Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
EXCLUSIVE: Brent Kite is set to extend his deal with the Manly Sea Eagles until the end of 2013.

The 30-year-old 2008 Clive Churchill medallist looks certain to extend his deal with the club for a further two years with the possibility of a third year also still being discussed by the club.

Sportsnewsfirst.com.au has learnt that the deal should be finalised by next month despite interest from rival clubs including the English Super League.

The former NSW and Australian back rower’s manager told sportsnewsfirst.com.au on Monday that the two parties “are getting very close to a deal”.

Expect the Wests Tigers to announce the signing of Kiwi and Storm prop Adam Blair as soon as this week following the release of yet another player last week in utility back Tim Moltzen.

Eels winger Joel Reddy is another to look out for, with insiders revealing a deal is very close to being done with the Tigers although the Parramatta junior has a number of offers from other clubs including those in the ESL.

Meanwhile, the Cronulla Sharks have been linked with rookie South Sydney centre Kane Morgan for next season.

The rumours have been rampant over recent weeks that Morgan, who made his first grade debut this year, will move to the Shire next season, so much so fans have tweeted him via his Twitter account to ask if the reports are true.

Morgan, a junior Kiwi, replied to two of the messages saying; “that's false champ” and “nah, it's just a rumor”.

Manly centre Dene Whare has also been linked with the club however his manager has knocked that on the head, confirming his commitment to Manly.

“There’s no truth in that,” said Darryl Mather.

“Zero possibility to that rumour.”

Hmm, been a while since BK was a back rower and especially as a rep. Not sure if he ever played 2nd row for NSW or Oz.

Not sure about this......if he is getting top coin then on recent form (last 2 years) he isn't worth it. Rather see us in the market for a younger, more dynamic prop personally.

Also Whare should get more of a look in next year while Hoppa is off on his bothering mission.

Whoever is in charge of our recruitment and retention is doing a fair job, occasional hysterical outrage from posters on this site notwithstanding.

Good to retain him. Having experienced props is essential.

will whare get a shot? i've never seen him play to be honest. Dessie will still play Oldfield and Buhrer in the centres/wing ahead of him.

Buhrer won't get ahead of Whare in the outside backs, no way in hell.

Whare should play the role that Oldfield played this year, hopefully he gets a few shots in FG to show his talents.

Brookvale said:
Good to retain him. Having experienced props is essential.

will whare get a shot? i've never seen him play to be honest. Dessie will still play Oldfield and Buhrer in the centres/wing ahead of him.

3 tries on debut last year in Townsville. Good player but had huge injury problems at the back end of the season causing Oldfield to get an opportunity in first grade.

I like Whare, funny guy and loyal to Manly but his defense needs a bit of work in my opinion. He was the 2nd fastest at the club behind Brett at the start of 2009 when he joined the club.

It will be good if we can keep Kite as he will be useful/vital in passing the torch to Cunningham, Lussick and co.

oldfield has taken up the second fastest mantle since then jono and overall is a stronger player IMO. Whare does have flair and reminds me of jennings

Fluffy said:
oldfield has taken up the second fastest mantle since then jono and overall is a stronger player IMO. Whare does have flair and reminds me of jennings

All reports I have heard have him as the fastest.

Glad Kitey is staying an Eagle, it wouldnt be right watching him going around in other colours.

I think his form this year has warranted another contract. He has put in a few sub par games but so has everyone. For his first game back I thought he was excellent on Sunday.

He's not the type of bloke who will clog up a spot just to earn a pay cheque. I'm confident he'll know if he isn't worth a spot on the roster and if his form drops suddenly next year he'll pull the pin himself.

Terrific scoop by sportsnewsfirst. I guess RLW coming out with it in May doesn't count.
http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-Kite-signs-for-2-more-years

Great news if he does stay - just hope its not at the expense of one of the younger guys. Interesting in Sundays SMH players poll that both Michael Hodgson and Dan Tolar said Des Hasler is the best coach in the NRL - was surprising seeing as Bennett and Bellamy polled the majority of votes and they didnt even pick their own club coach. Could they be headed to Brooky?

EagleRock40 said:
Great news if he does stay - just hope its not at the expense of one of the younger guys. Interesting in Sundays SMH players poll that both Michael Hodgson and Dan Tolar said Des Hasler is the best coach in the NRL - was surprising seeing as Bennett and Bellamy polled the majority of votes and they didnt even pick their own club coach. Could they be headed to Brooky?

Hodgson is definitely past it. His body just isn't up to it anymore. I think Tolar might do OK, but I'd only think about going there if we were losing anybody and guys like Mauro & Robinson would be a lot cheaper.

Yes oldfield is fastest according to club hosts on the recent fan day. He's better than whare and has great potential. Also oldfield played for Nsw residents on Wednesday night, so he backed up too.

This may sound harsh but at full strength I wouldn't have him in the starting team.
King, Rose, Joe are all better & I'd like to see the young guns get a go.

Good backup when one of the others gets injured.

I think we need him to stay and nurture the young ones through for the next 2 years. Has been a good club man for us.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2