1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bozo? Trent? We need to discuss this Jamie retirement thing fast...

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by lillchip, Jul 30, 2016.

1. lillchip

lillchip Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 32
    So one of the best players in the clubs history realised that he was, how do we put this gently, suddenly looking a bit old as a centre. We knew it, he knew it, so he said ok fellas I'll graciously retire and hand the no 3 speedster jersey to Dylan and co.

But hang on.....

Clearly Jamie is a bloody fantastic natural 5/8 and will win us multiple game there, so why does he need to retire at all? He could easily play another season in the no 6 and would killer (sorry) it.

Bozo? Trent? Surely it's not too late?

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    We need a 5/8 to build the future on, what's the point of having Jamie play another year and then have to make a new combo in 2018?

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,840 / 103
    Jamie has rekindled his form in recent matches, so if he has the desire to play on I'm in full support. He us a champion and has the club's best interest at heart.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. damiennp90

damiennp90 Well-Known Member

Menai, NSW
    Ratings:
    +327 / 17
    There have been a few unexpected retirements this season

Parker and Ennis are playing really well atm.

But I think with Killer as well maybe he's loosing the motivation to train. If that's the case there is nothing we could do.
    :(

5. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,412 / 257
    Look, if they sign Green them there is a short term replacement so who will play 6 next year isn't an issue.

As far as Lyon goes, I'm glad he has embraced the move back to 5/8 and is in form because when he retires at the end of the year, he will go out playing well and in a way that reminds us of what made him the legend he is (rather than as a shadow of his former self putting in half arsed efforts per Snake for instance).

If he plays on he may get injured or something. Better for him to bow out now while he's still got a bit of the magic left.

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. Budgewoi Eagle

Budgewoi Eagle In for the long haul. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,015 / 52
    Love the idea but Jamie has always been his own man and will do exactly as he wants. Love that about him!

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. KOMORI

KOMORI Born and bred an Eagle

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +3,269 / 53
    He's earned the right to retire on his own terms.

I'd love him to go around again, but it's his call and he knows best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. JenEagle

JenEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,637 / 45
    He will be 35 next year. As each year progresses it becomes harder to perform physically.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. KOMORI

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +3,269 / 53
    This is true. Football is a young man's game, and even if the spirit is willing, the body will definitely tell you that it's not at some point..

I'd love to see Killer go around again, he's quite simply one of the best to have ever laced a boot.. But at the same time is hate to see his legacy damaged by going one season too long.

It's his call and he's earned the right to make it. He will be missed though: everything from the silky skills to the pin point kicking to the amazing footballing brain and leadership both on and off the field.

He will always be a Manly great, and amongst my favorite ever players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. pjayz

pjayz Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,342 / 51
    I think he has made the right call. Go out when you are still contributing, but also when you know the body isn't what it used to be. 35 is long in the tooth for any player and I would hate to see him go a year too long.

I think, much like his on field decision across his career, he has got this one right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,746 / 258
    Absolutely 100% the right call, going out playing well, sadly not as a Premiership winner in his last game like Beaver but nevertheless as a champion.

Parker was "tapped", he wanted another year, Ennis in a similar situation, going on his own call.

From my perspective I'd rather remember him playing well, to the very last game, than being broken down, busted, and dejected like another of our legends and just being greedy expecting the club to pay them for another year.

No indeed, Champion player and Champion man is our Jamie!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Kalvin

Kalvin Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 5
    I guess the concern is that if Green isn't signed for next season (or the club do not have a plan they are keeping quiet) we are screwed!

We simply cannot afford to put walker their again next season and don't have a lot of experienced/quality options for next season otherwise!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Harvies elbow

Harvies elbow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,702 / 20
    The same tap should have been delivered to snake. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to killer.

14. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,824 / 53
    He certainly looks up to it to me, but as @KOMORI said Jamie knows best. Even if he was tossing up going around another year, Snake would surely be a reminder of the dangers of going a year too long.

15. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,077 / 38
    Cliffy was still carving up at 5/8 well into his sixties.

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. KOMORI

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +3,269 / 53
    With full respect to Snake, as he's also in my list of favorites... I believe that *if* he continues he will put, as always, the 110% he puts into every game. To be brutally honest, I don't believe that Snake has put in to the best of his ability this year. Be it a result of injury or other off field issues/pressure, he's been well under par.

If Killer feels he can go around again, and the body is up to it, he'll go another season and kick a lot of ass. Especially at 5/8, where he can utilize his particular skill set. I think (just my opinion mind you) that playing in the centers is not really his forte nowadays, as younger and faster centers may well run around him..

17. cherry_poppins

cherry_poppins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,038 / 131
    No he went 10 years too long

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    Once over 30 it is year by year. If we had a replacement screaming to be picked - a better player - like Tom is at fullback, that is one thing. But we don't.

If it is Blake Green, he's over 30 next year, and not a patch on Lyon. If it's a 2 year contract that's a bigger risk than Lyon for one year.

This legacy stuff is egotistical rubbish. We need the best possible team. And if Lyon wants to play - or can be encouraged to want to play - then he is in that best possible team as 5/8th and captain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. KOMORI

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +3,269 / 53
    His game suffered with the public area smoking ban.. I mean how could Cliffy perform without a bunger?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    [​IMG]
    Sixties?
    He's only 54 now.​