Born Sea Eagle will help spearhead Manly’s finals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Born Sea Eagle will help spearhead Manly’s finals

12:00a.m. 27 February 2008

| By Peter Gardiner

The Manly warhorse who was born to be a Sea Eagle back in December 1973 said he has come to terms with a shattering 34-8 grand final loss to Melbourne.

Steve Menzies, the 323-game veteran who bleeds maroon and white, is about to embark on yet another NRL season “a little older and a little slower”.

But not between the ears, and the rangy backrower/fill-in centre with the amazing 167 tries to his name, is convinced the Sea Eagles will be a better side for their 2007 experiences.

“That’s part of the game we play, it can’t always go to script,” Menzies said.

“I thought last year we really matured as a side from where we came from at the start of last season.

“There’s some good kids there and we’ve really taken some big steps to get there last year and it’s just a matter of regrouping.

“We spoke about it a little bit – the first time we got back, (coach) Dessy (Hasler) said it is not a revenge year.”

Looking to the positive, Menzies said the they will be drawing on their finals and grand final experience to help get them through a tough season ahead – starting with a full-on trial at Stockland Park here on the Sunshine Coast Friday night.

“I think we’re going to have to go to another level this year. I think teams are going to lift again.”

After months of preseason slog and just one previous trial, Menzies is keen to have more game time under his belt.

In particular, he could well be found looming up outside Jamie Lyon who will be playing at five-eighth.

“Preseason is always tough just training – and there’s not many carrots at the end of the week for you.

“We’ve bought well in the off-season with Josh Perry, Dave Vaealiki and Heath L’Estrange to fill a few voids

Menzies said he expected the Warriors to be a tough encounter.

“It will be as close to an A grade game as you get around here.”

Hasler said while Lyon expected to play in the pivot role, he had enough versatility “to cover up the centre” if needed. He added that competition for positions would mean that 22 to 23 players would get a hit out on Friday in a bid for NRL selection.

“I think for both sides it’s the last trial before the NRL season proper and I think you’ll see most of the top liners playing.”

Despite the rain, Menzies said the Sea Eagles were settling into their familiar surrounds and were pleased by the local reception.

Sunshine Coast Daily

Except for the reception they got from from some knob/s who broke into the hotel and stole money, laptops etc.

Good promotion of the Eagles up here though with a photo of Beaver with local kid at the autograph session @ Quad Park.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8