Board Meeting Tonight

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

pfoti

I believe they will vote to Keep Des for 2012 with a few KPI's to be met by mid season. If Manly are going well then you can presume with the same personal nearly as 2011 there isn't a problem and Des stays until the end of the year. On the other hand if Manly have a dreadful start to the season well my gues is that he will be asked to leave due to player performances as they play footy not the board.

Regarding the future of our star players off contract in 2013. Every club is in the same boat so there will always be speculation that a rival club will be interested but remember they will all have salary caps.

As simply an uninformed fan the problem I see is this: If the board sacks Des then Manly has to pay out his contract, and gets nothing in return. This to me is a no-win situation for the club.
If, however, they could get Canterbury to pay his wage, plus a sweetener to Manly, then it would seem a win-win. All, or a portion, of the extra money should then go to Tooves and shoring up the contracts of support staff.

The Who said:
As simply an uninformed fan the problem I see is this: If the board sacks Des then Manly has to pay out his contract, and gets nothing in return. This to me is a no-win situation for the club.
If, however, they could get Canterbury to pay his wage, plus a sweetener to Manly, then it would seem a win-win. All, or a portion, of the extra money should then go to Tove's and shoring up the contracts of support staff.

Not every sacking involves a payout. If Des hasn't been fullfilling elements of his contract, and at a guess I'd say being involved for the recruitment at another club would be grounds, then its quite possible we could sack him without having to pay him anything. Of course if we do he would more than likely sue, but still just because he gets the flick it doesn't mean a payout. It's just another thing we as fans are guessing about.

What I hope would happen is someone from the club asks Des if he would be open to a parting of the ways before the relationship between Des, the club and the fans deteriorates any further. If Des says no, then I'd encourage him to reconsider, if he still says no, I would say see you later. Hopefully he still has a shred of feeling for the club and realises him leaving is the best for all parties concerned.

If we tell him we don't want him the Bulldogs will snap him up. He will be better off financially if that happens so we will not have to pay him out.

The cynical part of me thinks that is probably what he wants. He has done everything in his power to make his position untenable.

MadMarcus said:
If we tell him we don't want him the Bulldogs will snap him up. He will be better off financially if that happens so we will not have to pay him out.

The cynical part of me thinks that is probably what he wants. He has done everything in his power to make his position untenable.

You reckon Hasler would say don't worry about paying him cos the dogs will be.? You are Dreaming. De$ will be after every penny he can get . He is out to destroy Manly. The more money they pay him the less they have for other things.

I don't get why every one thinks Des leaving now would be beneficial to anyone.

Surely tooves would be better off weighing up his roster for next year, worrying about contract negotiations and slowly integrating his plans to everyday business so that the transition can be as smooth as possible. That leaves Des to coach the team and focus on going back to back. And with incentives along the way i have no doubt he can do it. Especially with out the added strain of contract negotiations and rectuitment. Crushers gone to the bulldogs so he's handling all that stuff over there.

I feel if it all gets thrust on to Tooves now it may be too much to cope with. The only thing that is fact is that if Des is sacked now, it will not sit well with the players. In my opinon, if Des stays we keep players. If he is sacked, the opposite happens.

Masked Eagle said:
The Who said:
If, however, they could get Canterbury to pay his wage, plus a sweetener to Manly, then it would seem a win-win. All, or a portion, of the extra money should then go to Tove's and shoring up the contracts of support staff.

Not every sacking involves a payout. If Des hasn't been fullfilling elements of his contract, and at a guess I'd say being involved for the recruitment at another club would be grounds, then its quite possible we could sack him without having to pay him anything. Of course if we do he would more than likely sue, but still just because he gets the flick it doesn't mean a payout. It's just another thing we as fans are guessing about.

What I hope would happen is someone from the club asks Des if he would be open to a parting of the ways before the relationship between Des, the club and the fans deteriorates any further. If Des says no, then I'd encourage him to reconsider, if he still says no, I would say see you later. Hopefully he still has a shred of feeling for the club and realises him leaving is the best for all parties concerned.

I really don't think Hasler ever thought it would come to this,he probably thought he would manage to do his job next year and leave, the problem is that the Telegraph is fanning the flames because apart from Moltzen and the lousy four nations, there is no other news, so they are loving this.
With half of the training staff gone,it makes it impossible for Tooves to work with Hasler next year, and in fairness to Toovey and the players who want to stay,Hasler should resign,but apparently he obviously likes the cash, so he will probably expect a payout.
If Hasler has any shred of decency towards the club that gave him all his chances he should do the honourable thing and stand down.

bones said:
You reckon Hasler would say don't worry about paying him cos the dogs will be.? You are Dreaming. De$ will be after every penny he can get . He is out to destroy Manly. The more money they pay him the less they have for other things.

I don't think for a minute that he would say "don't worry about it" but if it is done properly he wouldn't have a claim at law if the Dogs agree to take him on more money than what we were paying him.

Stevo said:

Surely tooves would be better off weighing up his roster for next year, worrying about contract negotiations and slowly integrating his plans to everyday business so that the transition can be as smooth as possible. That leaves Des to coach the team and focus on going back to back. And with incentives along the way i have no doubt he can do it. Especially with out the added strain of contract negotiations and rectuitment. Crushers gone to the bulldogs so he's handling all that stuff over there.

I feel if it all gets thrust on to Tooves now it may be too much to cope with. The only thing that is fact is that if Des is sacked now, it will not sit well with the players. In my opinon, if Des stays we keep players. If he is sacked, the opposite happens.

Its quite possible a few players might follow Des to the Dogs and a reason for them doing so is they rate him highly and are worried about playing under a rookie coach. IMO a very valid reason for replacing Des now would that it gives these players a period of time to adjust and just perhaps they might realise they don't need Des as much as they thought, helping us to keep them.

I'm sure the players are immediately going to be upset, but they aren't going to be with Toovs. He needs to get them all in and sit them down and work it out and remind the boys why the play for this great club. The good thing is Toovs knows the players and knows how to talk to them, as I've said elsewhere, he is no dummy and IMO the sooner he gets his hands on the steering wheel the sooner we can get this thing under control.

MadMarcus said:
I don't think for a minute that he would say "don't worry about it" but if it is done properly he wouldn't have a claim at law if the Dogs agree to take him on more money than what we were paying him.

Hope you and masked eagle are on the money. Des is doing all he can to get sacked and trigger contract clauses intentionally or not. Surely the players and the board can see the damage he's doing and that his immediate removal is the best option.

I have a question to those calling for Des to be sacked 12 months before his contact expires.
Q: What then if a star player/s said they were no longer happy at Manly? Would you also agree to let them go to an opposition club?

Once you start letting people go because they have a beef with someone/something then contracts become worthless.

Peter C said:
Masked Eagle said:
The Who said:

I really don't think Hasler ever thought it would come to this,he probably thought he would manage to do his job next year and leave

I totally disagree. I reckon he is sitting back and laughing at how much better it is turning out than he planned. Everything he is doing is to get Foran a release to play for the dogs.

lloydy said:
I wouldn't want them out there making tackles if their heart wasn't in it.

Then you have chaos. Players free to leave on a whim whenever things do go their way.
These guys, and the support staff, are being paid well to do a job professionally. But if Manly lets Hassler walk then the precedence is set.

The Who said:
I have a question to those calling for Des to be sacked 12 months before his contact expires.
Q: What then if a star player/s said they were no longer happy at Manly? Would you also agree to let them go to an opposition club?

Once you start letting people go because they have a beef with someone/something then contracts become worthless.

But a star player is a lot less likely to take players with them when they go to another club. Maybe the best way to sum up if Des should stay or go is do you believe Des staying next season makes it more likely or less players would follow him out the door? For me its more likely. As I've stated previously, I honestly believe the players who align themselves so much with Des, mainly because he has coached them for their entire first grade career will feel a lot less tense about the situation after only a short time being coached by Toovs. The sooner that can happen and the players feel what its actually like, the better it is for us IMO.

Masked Eagle said:
Stevo said:

Its quite possible a few players might follow Des to the Dogs and a reason for them doing so is they rate him highly and are worried about playing under a rookie coach. IMO a very valid reason for replacing Des now would that it gives these players a period of time to adjust and just perhaps they might realise they don't need Des as much as they thought, helping us to keep them.

I'm sure the players are immediately going to be upset, but they aren't going to be with Toovs. He needs to get them all in and sit them down and work it out and remind the boys why the play for this great club. The good thing is Toovs knows the players and knows how to talk to them, as I've said elsewhere, he is no dummy and IMO the sooner he gets his hands on the steering wheel the sooner we can get this thing under control.

Yeah well, atm we are a little bit sideways. If Des is sacked i feel we'll 180 and the possibility of hitting a tree and causing massive damage will be much greater.

bones said:
Peter C said:
Masked Eagle said:
The Who said:

I really don't think Hasler ever thought it would come to this,he probably thought he would manage to do his job next year and leave

I totally disagree. I reckon he is sitting back and laughing at how much better it is turning out than he planned. Everything he is doing is to get Foran a release to play for the dogs.

You're only assuming Foran wants to play for the Dogs mate.

We don't even need to sack Des-just ask for his resignation and point out the damage that is being done by staying.
Des is pretty proud...I think he will bow to the boards request IF it is indeed requested.
Then no dramas re get out clauses.
After a few nights sleep on it, if the players really wanna go-let them go. No use having anyone here who doesn't want to be.

Des is a very tight guy with the dollar. That's been mentioned in the press on numerous occasions, so of course he won't walk. And of course, if we sacked him there would be a payout. Something I don't see the club welcoming. As well we have the infamous 'get-out' clauses. No, he/we must stay the course. He can get us another premiership, and at the end of 2012 off he goes to Belmore. Those off contract will re-sign if they want to, and those that want to go, if their contracts up, can go.

DSM5 said:
Des is a very tight guy with the dollar. That's been mentioned in the press on numerous occasions, so of course he won't walk. And of course, if we sacked him there would be a payout. Something I don't see the club welcoming. As well we have the infamous 'get-out' clauses. No, he/we must stay the course. He can get us another premiership, and at the end of 2012 off he goes to Belmore. Those off contract will re-sign if they want to, and those that want to go, if their contracts up, can go.

I think he will walk ;)

I urge the board to lose Des ASAP.
If Foran & the Stewarts go because of that, then so be it. I would hope, though,that they would be bigger men that that.
Manly will always be bigger than any individual, because it has us, the fans.
We need a clean slate, and end the bullcrap and innuendo.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2