Blindside (Manly Daily) - Gillard & Swan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ramrod

Reserve Grader
ASTONISHMENT - 6/4/12.

THE northern beaches sports fraternity must be shaking their heads in astonishment with the news this week that PM Julia Gillard has somehow found $8 million to boost soccer in Sydney’s western suburbs.

The announcement of that financial windfall comes as Treasurer Wayne Swan tells anyone who cares to listen that there needs to be big cuts in the upcoming budget.

The big injection of taxpayer funds for soccer out west comes after the Federal Government threw away $45 million on a disastrous World Cup bid that was always destined to fail.

Just imagine how a small percentage of that total payout of $53 million could have help struggling sporting clubs - of all codes - on the peninsula.

Unfortunately that pork barrel won’t be rolling over the Spit Bridge.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/blindside-99-7/

Good article, the money thrown at Soccer is a disgrace. Frank Lowey doesn't seem to tip in any of his own. A mate of mine recently took his 7 year old along to play soccer in the Hurstville area and the team was disqualified as only two players had registered. The registration cost to FFA is $250.00 per kid. That's on top of the club stuff one has to purchase for your kid to play. Don't know how much registration is for kids to play league, but would hope it's not in the same ballpark.

i am a rugby league coach and a father of an under 7s player in the st george comp. At our club registration is free for under 6s. This is the first year we have implemented this in a hope to get the kids befor soccer does. under 7s registration is $110 and this gets you your socks, shorts and jersey to keep. With the free rego for under 6s we expect the jersey to be returned.
dsm5 would your friend like to bring his son down to try rugby league. i wont name my club, but we are very close to hurstville.

Soccer is a disgrace in all areas of Sydney; the rego fees are all exorbitant. My son used to play for Castle Hill and had to pay about $230 a season for a 8year old.
On the other hand our Castle Hill Baseball club only charges $125 per season... and they get a free baseball glove for the first season... and they play a lot of games.

DSM that is not the case at my football club

All players under 18 pay no more than 110 (it is a sliding scale). It sounds like that is a poorly run club

As for sport in general football is the one of the most popular junior sports - you can understand why the investment was made

Biscuits said:
i am a rugby league coach and a father of an under 7s player in the st george comp. At our club registration is free for under 6s. This is the first year we have implemented this in a hope to get the kids befor soccer does. under 7s registration is $110 and this gets you your socks, shorts and jersey to keep. With the free rego for under 6s we expect the jersey to be returned.
dsm5 would your friend like to bring his son down to try rugby league. i wont name my club, but we are very close to hurstville.
My 11 year old plays league up here in the blue mountains, I got him socks, shorts and rego for $135

Not the mighty scots is it? My bet is renown :p
Biscuits said:

have a serious dislike for both of those clubs even though i did play 2 seasons of A grade at scots a thousand years ago. Brighton seagulls is the club.

My Daughter who is 25 went to register for Soccer this year , she plays 3rd grade out here in the western suburbs of Sydney , they wanted $300 dollars registration fee plus $10 a week for refs fees , she told them to go jump , with 2 kids and a mortgage it's way out of her price range

Biscuits said:
have a serious dislike for both of those clubs even though i did play 2 seasons of A grade at scots a thousand years ago. Brighton seagulls is the club.

Haha!! They got an A grade team this season?

Pendle hill soccer rego for seniors is $295 !! And no gear or anything included. It's ridiculous!!

I am the Secretary for the local soccer club here in Canberra and the rego fees are:
- Peewee born 2007 ($80)
- U6/U7 born 2005/6 ($125)
- U8/U9 born 2003/04 ($125)
- U10 to U18 born 1994 to 2002 ($150)
- Seniors ($360)
On top of that, you have to buy your own boots, socks, shin guards and shorts!

My senior amateur church league is $150 for the year and includes the referees fees and playing strip. We play 24 games a year so good value. Pity the families with 3 kids playing.

DSM5 said:
Good article, the money thrown at Soccer is a disgrace. Frank Lowey doesn't seem to tip in any of his own. A mate of mine recently took his 7 year old along to play soccer in the Hurstville area and the team was disqualified as only two players had registered. The registration cost to FFA is $250.00 per kid. That's on top of the club stuff one has to purchase for your kid to play. Don't know how much registration is for kids to play league, but would hope it's not in the same ballpark.

Total fallacy. The Ffa launched myfootballclub.com.au this year which allows for self registration. Much to clubs disatisfaction, it provides a clear breakdown of where the fees are going. I play in the st George area, where the hurstville club is based. For juniors, Ffa takes $12. That's it. Football nsw takes about 50, and the association takes about 30. If the club is charging 250 and extra for kit, then that club is a total rip off. On another note, each team registers with the association, and obviously there are minimum numbers. How are u supposed to play with 2 players?

Ramrod said:
ASTONISHMENT - 6/4/12.

THE northern beaches sports fraternity must be shaking their heads in astonishment with the news this week that PM Julia Gillard has somehow found $8 million to boost soccer in Sydney’s western suburbs.

The announcement of that financial windfall comes as Treasurer Wayne Swan tells anyone who cares to listen that there needs to be big cuts in the upcoming budget.

The big injection of taxpayer funds for soccer out west comes after the Federal Government threw away $45 million on a disastrous World Cup bid that was always destined to fail.

Just imagine how a small percentage of that total payout of $53 million could have help struggling sporting clubs - of all codes - on the peninsula.

The Northern Beaches sports fraternity can sit around shaking their heads all they like because there won't be any extra money heading over the spit until the people of the peninsula realise that you need to at least pretend to look to the left and not just the right when crossing the voting road.

As I have explained many times now on this forum, there is another very important step in the process of obtaining Federal Government funding for a local community project. Its just like going to the bank to apply for a home loan, but in this case we require a small amount of effort from our local elected representatives. Its not rocket science, first they need to decide what project/s they would like funding for, then they need to choose the appropriate Federal funding mechanism for their project. This is where it gets a bit beyond the abilities of our local elected zombies because there is one very, very important final step in the process that they, along with the journalists who wrote this article seem to overlook. To have a chance at getting such Federal Funding they actually need to then fill in the paperwork and officially APPLY for it.

People seem to think that the Federal Government will one day magically appear on Manly Beach with a plan and a truck load of cash for the local community but thats not how it works I'm afraid. If it were, the Northern Beaches would be rolling in new Infrastructure after Labors economic stimulus programmes because they would have loved to walk in and t delivering new infrastructure and community programmes smack bang in the middle of Tony Abbotts long-time neglected electorate.

Western Sydney received Federal Funding for this soccer project because the local member applied for it through an existing community funding programme.

Christol74 said:
Ramrod said:
ASTONISHMENT - 6/4/12.

The Northern Beaches sports fraternity can sit around shaking their heads all they like because there won't be any extra money heading over the spit until the people of the peninsula realise that you need to at least pretend to look to the left and not just the right when crossing the voting road.

As I have explained many times now on this forum, there is another very important step in the process of obtaining Federal Government funding for a local community project. Its just like going to the bank to apply for a home loan, but in this case we require a small amount of effort from our local elected representatives. Its not rocket science, first they need to decide what project/s they would like funding for, then they need to choose the appropriate Federal funding mechanism for their project. This is where it gets a bit beyond the abilities of our local elected zombies because there is one very, very important final step in the process that they, along with the journalists who wrote this article seem to overlook. To have a chance at getting such Federal Funding they actually need to then fill in the paperwork and officially APPLY for it.

People seem to think that the Federal Government will one day magically appear on Manly Beach with a plan and a truck load of cash for the local community but thats not how it works I'm afraid. If it were, the Northern Beaches would be rolling in new Infrastructure after Labors economic stimulus programmes because they would have loved to walk in and t delivering new infrastructure and community programmes smack bang in the middle of Tony Abbotts long-time neglected electorate.

Western Sydney received Federal Funding for this soccer project because the local member applied for it through an existing community funding programme.

The real problem is that everytime one side of politics gets into power they inherit a financial basket case because the other side has spent like drunken sailors. Look at the financial position of both NSW & Qld at the most recent elections.

He sits back and waits for the rantings.........

Have to agree my son 15 plays soccer in the canterbury district & we paid $260 rego fee.God help any parent who's son ever makes youth league soccer the fees there are anything up to $2500.

I played youth league football and never paid for rego, boots etc..in fact we were paid a small match fee

I play old guys soccer and it costs $295. All it gets is a shirt for the year. The big money goes to the councils for ground hire. If you reckon that is rich, senior Hockey in Sydney costs up to $500 a year for the hire of the turf fields. It hurts a lot when you have two or three kids playing at the top level.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7