Blake in frame for assistant coaching role

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I liked what I heard from Brad Arthurs the Parra assistant coach and the team got much better ( for a while ) when he took over. I wouldnt be sorry if he got the gig - very experienced.

Phil Blake was a childhood hero - sentimentally love to see it but wonder how much he is in touch with the modern game these days.

Of course the Telegraph makes a big issue about Stuart Raper's application for the job. The other applicants managed to get a single mention in the two column "Exclusive'. Is Dean Ritchie a pal of Raper's or something.:dodgy:

Sheikheagle said:
The Wheel said:
Is there any irony in the fact that Blakey is a defensive coach?

Very true he was not known for his defensive prowess

Les Kiss was/is the defensive coach for national rugby teams, and Les was a winger for North Sydney.
Now that's ironic!

What troubles me with recent media hype over Raper's application that his case is being pushed despite the fact that he is a failed coach (Cronulla) and has quite frankly done little to justify such media support. Blake, despite coming from years in Union, is a successful coach, highly regarded and ideal given his past to fit nicely in the Manly structure. How about some balance in reporting Richie, or are your interests more in seeing Manly fail.:mad:

Don't stress, I doubt the selection will be influenced by articles like this one. I'm confident we'll end up with the right person. Tooves is no mug, he'd have no illusions about what is required from coaching staff for 2013.

Bearfax said:
What troubles me with recent media hype over Raper's application that his case is being pushed despite the fact that he is a failed coach (Cronulla) and has quite frankly done little to justify such media support. Blake, despite coming from years in Union, is a successful coach, highly regarded and ideal given his past to fit nicely in the Manly structure. How about some balance in reporting Richie, or are your interests more in seeing Manly fail.:mad:

Raper appears to apply for every vacant job associated with league.

Shoe1 said:
Bearfax said:

Raper appears to apply for every vacant job associated with league.

Can't blame him for wanting to quit as referees co-boss. Imagine working on a daily basis with Harrigan. lol

Just seeking to balance the ledger a little, guys. The Telegraph has a penchant for postulating perfidious porkers against the Manly club, Balance means for them, what profit is made vending their venomous vernacular.

:p

Bearfax said:
Just seeking to balance the ledger a little, guys. The Telegraph has a penchant for postulating perfidious porkers against the Manly club, Balance means for them, what profit is made vending their venomous vernacular.

:p

Always amorous about alliteration!

Vyssini said:
Bearfax said:
niccipops said:
globaleagle said:

Moose making moonlight magic maximises marvellous moment.
Just for you GE.

I'm flabbergastered (what a true Moose would say.):rolleyes:

This thread is not making any forward progress...

err...err..err..err.phtr...phtr...err....err...broom broom. Ah we're on the move again. Got stalled for a bit there Vyssini. Now what were we discussing....oh yes Whether Phil Blake should be Toovey's Executive Officer. My answer is ........ YES.

niccipops said:
globaleagle said:

Moose making moonlight magic maximises marvellous moment.
Just for you GE.

Hooray!

Nice niccipops nails note.

:)

I think I've been out 'teachered,' or I know very few words beginning with 'n'.

*thread re-stalled but acknowledgement was in order (polite moose)

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/blake-no-to-eagles/

Apparently he had never even applied - just Media speculation:huh:

NRL Sea Eagles: Phil Blake out of race for assistant coach
Rugby League10 Oct 12 @ 05:49pm by Jon Geddes

Phil Blake has pledged his future to rugby.
FORMER Wallabies defensive guru Phil Blake has ruled himself out of contention for a return to his old club the Sea Eagles next season.

The Manly Daily revealed last Saturday that the former NRL tryscoring whiz was a possible candidate as assistant coach to Geoff Toovey in 2013.

But Blake's focus remains in rugby and that is the career path he will continue to pursue.

"I was flattered my name was mentioned but my ambition is to stay in rugby," Blake said.

"I have worked long and hard to get where I am within rugby and I see my future in that sport."

His preference is to remain in Australia and there may be a vacancy on the Waratahs' staff next year under new coach Michael Cheika.

Blake was on the shortlist to get the gig at the Waratahs and it is understood he really impressed the selection panel during his interview.

Blake was a Manly junior who became a crowd favourite at Brookvale playing 90 games for the Sea Eagles between 1982-86 when he scored 63 tries.

He then had stints with Souths, Norths, Canberra, St George and the Warriors.

Blake embarked on a rugby coaching career after he finished playing, starting in the lower grades with Southern Districts.

He went on to enjoy success with the Manly Marlins where his efforts caught the eye of Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

Blake became defensive coach of the national team before he lost his job after last year's World Cup.

A lot of people in the Wallabies set up were not happy with that decision.

This year he found himself put in charge of the battling Western Force when Richard Graham left after the season had started.

Others mentioned as possible assistant coaches at the Sea Eagles include referees boss Stuart Raper, Michael Potter, Tony Iro and former Parramatta caretaker coach Brad Arthur.

Candidates will be interviewed by Toovey, Chief Operating Officer David Perry and Sea Eagles football manager Steve Gigg.

Their recommendation will then go to the board to be ratified.

I wouldn't have minded Blake, but out of that list of candidates Mick Potter is the standout. That being said, I trust the men in charge and ultimately it will be the candidate that has the skills that Toovs is looking for. He's probably not looking for the best person to be a head coach, but maybe someone to look after a certain area of the game, or someone who has similar philosophies, or maybe someone to challenge his decisions to keep him on his toes?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4