Blake in frame for assistant coaching role

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mick Potter for me.
Can coach.
How many of those other candidates can say they coached for nothing as in didn't get paid in the previous season?

Hasn't been around with league for a long time. Game has changed since he played. I always remember the last union guy to come over, Alan Jones, team could score but never tackled. Tooves needs experience around him!! He's a rookie too.

I'd have Blake for sure. He's a smart guy, and is intense on fitness and skills.

Bearfax said:
:exclamation:

Well now the Prodigal Son returns to the nest. Lets welcome him appropriately.

Blake was a wonderful player and I still remember the magic of his first season until the Parramatta heavies got to him in the semi and knocked him out of the game. Took a few years before he seemed to get his confidence back.

But I don't back Blake for Toovey's coaching assistant because of his playing ability. I would select him for the following:
1) He has played Rugby League, Australian Rules and coached Rugby Union. He has a very broad knowledge of football codes and could bring in some quite innovative ideas as a consequence.
2) He almost took the Marlins (Manly first grade Rugby Union) to a premiership a few years back and I think it was his first year of coaching the team.
3) Blake has been learning his coaching skills, albeit in Rugby Union, as not only a first grade coach but as an assistant coach for one of the NZ/Oz/SA 15s competition teams and has some international assistant coaching experience as well as far as I know.
4) He's a Manly junior and played under Fulton's tuition and therefore understands the Manly style.

Though he hasn't coached Rugby League at the highest level, he has achieved the level of being a skilled coach in a closely aligned code at almost the highest level and with some success and what he could bring to the game may be quite beneficial and unique. Of course I would also consider Lyons as a second assistant coach....why not? Dessie has six over at Canterbury.

The Bear thinks Blake should be given the job and the Bear doesn't like to be disappointed. Grrrrrrrr.
I was having similar thoughts to the Bear. Blake is obviously a serious coach, and he might prove an outstanding long-term mentor for Manly.

Lets hope Blake chooses his business partners a bit better these days. He was burned by a guy called Rorque Poisson.

He would be great. Almost was joint souths coach when they were readmitted, and I daresay would have done a better job than the other bloke, who spent all his spare time on the pokies. The comparisons with Alan jones are odious. Jones had no idea about league or rugby, he was simply a "motivator"

I'd go for Blake purely from the point that we may need another Manly legend halfback to take over from 2V when Ted Greenturd decides that De$ isn't the messiah and kicks him out like they do to all their coaches who don't bring instant success.

When des came he brought back the manly culture and manly legends into the fold. Manly isn't just a team it's a long history and culture. Only manly players, ex players and fans understand that and Donny singe. Bring another into the fold and breed the culture

NRL referees co-coach Stuart Raper has declared his interest in Manly's assistant coaching position

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-referees-co-coach-stuart-raper-has-declared-his-interest-in-manlys-assistant-coaching-position/story-e6frexnr-1226490106369

"There's no denying it's been a tough year. I wanted to see if there was any interest out there in me returning to coaching. I hope there is.

"You never know how long you are going to be here (as ref's coach). Coaching is my first passion but I am also enjoying what I'm doing with the referees and feel I have a lot to offer."

Phil Blake, Tony Iro and Brad Arthur have also been mentioned as candidates for Parish's spot at Brookvale.

"Going back into coaching is something you always consider," said Raper, who has coached Cronulla, Castleford and Wigan.

"I don't know if I would take it, I am just weighing up my options but (coaching) is something I am looking to do."

"I was more enquiring with 'Tooves'.

"I knew there was an opening there but let me stress again I am happy doing what I'm doing."

Toovey was reluctant to publicly discuss the identity of any candidates.

"We are going through the process," he said.

"We are interviewing people but that is private and confidential.

"It will be a tough and difficult decision making sure you find the right person for the job.

"We have a few more people to talk to."

Meanwhile it appears prop Brent Kite will now remain at Manly, despite talk he would shift to Wests Tigers next season.

Toovey denied Kite's retention would push Manly over the salary cap.

"All I know is that Brent has a contract with us and he said he is looking forward to next year," Toovey said.

Asked would Manly have to shed a player, Toovey said: "It depends who is coming and going in regards to our roster. At the moment we are proceeding as per usual. There might be some juggling."

"I had a chat with 'Tooves' to see if there were any opportunities.

"I may get my knuckles wrapped (for admitting that). Nothing has come of it so far - it was more about keeping my options open."......glad to see it was him that contacted us and not the other way around, he did'nt set the world on fire at Cronulla, hopefully Manly tell him to look elsewhere.

Imagine the video sessions Raper would have.....no one would know what to do after them!!!!!

No Raper Please

Tooves please do not give this guy a go. Surely there has to be a better "Manly" boy to give it to. Let him stay with the Refs as I don't want him here.

More importantly, I repeat, how have we bought a bloke like Fa'oso, and we are being questioned about retaining Kite? Kite is twice the player.

Ok, I get the Chee Kam, Sao and Hiku contracts, because they are rookies, and long term prospects.

Ryan said:
More importantly, I repeat, how have we bought a bloke like Fa'oso, and we are being questioned about retaining Kite? Kite is twice the player.

Ok, I get the Chee Kam, Sao and Hiku contracts, because they are rookies, and long term prospects.

We have unloaded a lot of players already. I reckon Rose and Mauro may go then as well if we are keeping Kite.

mickqld said:
Ryan said:

We have unloaded a lot of players already. I reckon Rose and Mauro may go then as well if we are keeping Kite.

We need Rose. Fitter and more mobile, but we need him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6