BJ is BACK

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
Brenton Lawrence cleared by Manly Sea Eagles staff for NRL return after recovering from back injury

MANLY have given prop Brenton Lawrence the green-light to return to the NRL after fighting his way back from a horror back injury.

Lawrence has been cleared by Manly staff to turn out in round one after a strong showing in the side’s 24-24 trial draw with Cronulla on Sunday.

In promising signs for the forgotten prop, during a 60-minute stint he took the line on with intent and showed no ill-effects from the back injury that ruined his 2015 campaign.

The 31-year-old Mackay product managed just one game last season before going under the knife, stalling his career for 12 months.

He returned for the final month of last season but was restricted to NSW Cup with the Sea Eagles coaching staff mindful of not exposing his still healing body to the rigours of the NRL.

The late bloomer was a surprise hit at Manly after his low-key acquisition from the Gold Coast in 2013 and their starting prop in the grand final that year.

In 2014 he was touted as a future Queensland player and now shapes as a key member of the Sea Eagles squad who are seeking to rebuild under new coach Trent Barrett.

“He’s a proud man and a very passionate man,” Barrett said.

“I know how hard he’s had to work and the improvement he’s made, not through the doing of the coaching staff, but the work he’s done with his own body.

“He was really good at the Nines and two weeks ago we could see that his body is starting to come good.

“He looks strong and he’s only going to get better and better with the more games he plays and the more training he can do.”

How does it compare to Kite/Perry and Hall/King/Bryant? Looks on par with a higher ceiling to me...

Yep, I'd have to agree Loobs - especially considering the depth we have below that now. Can't get over how good Vave looked yesterday, and he hasn't really even got a mention until now. Our 'second string' prop rotation is now first-grade quality - Vave, Starling, Burgess, could all do a good job there - especially if they are trying to fight their way into the side.

They were trying to get rid of most of that Depth (BJ, Starling & Burgess) so would have looked pretty lean then

They were trying to get rid of most of that Depth (BJ, Starling & Burgess) so would have looked pretty lean then

...story? Why yes, thank you!

Sea Eagles star Brenton Lawrence reveals how he has made an amazing comeback from a crippling back injury

SEA Eagles “Titanium Man” Brenton Lawrence was often unable to get out of bed after games due the pain of a chronic back injury.

For two seasons he battled on with the problem before undergoing major surgery that derailed his 2015 NRL campaign.

Now the mobile front-rower has made a stunning recovery and revealed he is back to 100 per fitness after the operation where he had a replacement titanium disc put in his back as well as a disc fusion.

“It’s been a long recovery but I feel really good and it’s nice to pull the boots back on and have another run around,” he said.

Lawrence faced both a mental as well as a physical challenge to get to the stage where he is feeling the best he has in years and heads into the NRL season with a renewed confidence.

v1

“Lots of things crossed my mind in the recovery and the process of getting through what I needed to and just sticking with it day after day,” he said.

8c51366601f908b63f41c838131e216c

Brenton Lawrence in action for the Sea Eagles during last Sunday’s trial against the Sharks. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
“I always tried to stay positive and focused on getting my body right again.

“Football is one thing but it is very it is very invasive surgery and quite intense so I needed to make sure I did the recovery so I fared well for the rest of my life as well.”

After making his long-awaited comeback in the Auckland Nines Lawrence had a full hit out in Sunday‘s trial with Cronulla in what was a combination of relief and delight.

“It was unbelievable, I was feeling fit and strong,” Lawrence said.

He said the Sea Eagles strength and conditioning coach Dan Ferris was instrumental getting him ready to go.

“I had taken some big hits a lot earlier in the pre-season and I was happy with some of the contact sessions in December and January,” he said.

71f8ef957f9f9e303b68296d1b88c1ed

Brenton Lawrence during Manly rugby league training at the Sydney Academy of Sport. Picture: Brett Costello.
Lawrence is already looking forward to another big hit out in Saturday’s trial at Rat Park against the Ipswich Jets.

Lawrence wants to grab back his NRL starting spot again and will be vying with the likes of Nate Myles, Darcy Lussick, Jake Trbojevic and Luke Burgess

“That is healthy competition, it’s really good for our team,” he said.

“And we are training like everybody is fighting for their spot but at the same time we are working hard for each other as well.”

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6