Billy the Grub arrested

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
manlyfan76 said:
I'd love to teach footballers how to "defend" themselves in pub disagreements. When you sense an elevated argument hold your hands in the stop pose in front of your stomach (easy to block from here) as the other guy goes to push your chest grab the inside of his wrist at your chest and with the other open palm hit the outside of their elbow while locking the inside of the wrist. On CCTV you have only tried to defend yourself and if done right with the correct rotation of the waist, their elbow is now broken and all you gave done is push their strike to your chest away, then as they stumble you can pull them off balance with the wrist of their broken elbow and either punch their chin or sweep the legs and one strike to the back of the head. Fight over. "Pushing someone with an open palm who strikes at you in the throat is defendable in any court. And if you then strike or "push" them away with an open palm ( heel of the hand punch) to the head or throat it's one hit all so DEFENSE!

This wouldnt help slater he only knows how to defend by flying in with karate kicks

Just to be clear, do you grab the same side hand- right grabs right etc?
And smash their elbow with the opposite one to theirs?
Do you twist the wrist toward them and down?

Manly need a defensive Coach manlyfan76, you should send in a tape and lets rid the league of that girly wrestle :idea:

Sheikheagle said:
Garts said:
I am no Slater fan but that is a nothing incident. The bloke deserved to be punched after doing that to Slater. You could see the guy get angry as he thought Slater pushed in but you can see Slater try and explain what he was doing only to be punched, although it was a pretty soft punch. Either way Slater had every right to punch him back.

No question that there was provocation from the other bloke. However, it was a king hit from the grub and he was lucky that there was someone behind the other guy that caught him otherwise we may have seen another head smashed on the pavement.

The bloke gave Slater a decent clip and if he didn't then consider Slater would turn around a return the favour (with interest), then it's his own fault for (a) instigating, and (b) not preparing for the obvious retaliation.

Good on Slater for giving him one.

Now that this is out of my system, Slater is a dog on the field and needs to be put down....STAT!!!

HappilyManly said:
Just to be clear, do you grab the same side hand- right grabs right etc?
And smash their elbow with the opposite one to theirs?
Do you twist the wrist toward them and down?

Manly need a defensive Coach manlyfan76, you should send in a tape and lets rid the league of that girly wrestle :idea:

Yes right grabs right, then hit elbow from outside in with the heel of your palm whilst bracing their arm with your wrist grip (elbows don't bend that way) drive through the strike with your outside hip turning in for more power all the time saying "don't hit me".

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Garts said:
. . . Either way Slater had every right to punch him back.
I didn't see the film but ... for the benefit of any adolescent types reading, who may think behaviour they learn here or on the hill at Brookie has any relationship to standard community values ... be aware of the following:

Provocation is not a defence. It doesn't matter if you are assaulted first. Retaliation is against the law! (So get involved in fist fights by all means, but you do so at your own risk with respect to possible criminal charges.)

Yep, just sit back and take the slapping and wait for the protagonist to come to his "standard community value" senses.

What a load of **** you've written here.

Slaters response was perfectly normal; in fact the other bloke was lucky he didn't do the same thing to someone of a lesser disposition.

My old man was a boxer turn trainer. My brothers and I all spent a lot of time in the ring. The golden rule, in or out of the ring was and always will be..."If you're good enough to throw them, you better be good enough to catch them". I've seen many blokes in pubs puff themselves up, start bellowing, throw a couple of useless hay makers, then get sat soundly on their arse. 9 out of 10 of them then scream victim.

Unless you are prepared to cop a couple back....keep your hands in your pockets. Simples.

I prefer the wax on wax off method.

Then running away screaming with my hands waving manically in the air.*

*I have not worked in a lot of pubs.

Peace and love to all. :angel:

edit: Unless someone's hackin' on me!

Mrs Slater should be more worried about the blond...is she with Slater or old mate?? Was she with both prior, and the biffo had nothing to do with a jacket??:p

globaleagle said:

I won my last fight by 300 meters, two corners and one fence.

COMMANDER said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Garts said:
I didn't see the film but ... for the benefit of any adolescent types reading, who may think behaviour they learn here or on the hill at Brookie has any relationship to standard community values ... be aware of the following:

Provocation is not a defence. It doesn't matter if you are assaulted first. Retaliation is against the law! (So get involved in fist fights by all means, but you do so at your own risk with respect to possible criminal charges.)

Yep, just sit back and take the slapping and wait for the protagonist to come to his "standard community value" senses.

What a load of s**t you've written here.

Slaters response was perfectly normal; in fact the other bloke was lucky he didn't do the same thing to someone of a lesser disposition.
The depth of understanding you demonstrate puts you on a par with turnips and other fresh market produce (except tomatoes, they are too bright).

Where did I say sit back and take the slapping?

Where did I comment on what is 'normal'? I'm happy to let you be the judge of that.

My point (well over your head obviously) is simply that provocation is not a defence. A lot of people get confused between retaliation and self-defence. If anyone here finds themselves in legal strife over this sort of incident, I'm sure you can PM Commander for some interesting anecdotes about normal behaviour. May not help much, of course.

yourhero said:
Hahaha... Had this been a Manly player, all you people claiming Slater "overreacted" would be screaming about someone's right to defend themselves. He struck Slater who was obviously trying to diffuse the situation. Slater, much like anyone else, is entitled to defend himself.

He wasn't defending himself - he was retaliating. The other bloke gave him one push to the head and didn't look like he was preparing to follow that up with anything.

Like I said before, I can't blame him for that. I probably would have done the same thing myself in that position, particularly if I had a few drinks in me. I'm not crucifying him for what he did. All I am saying is it was an overreaction and he could have handled it better.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
COMMANDER said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Garts said:

What a load of s**t you've written here.

The depth of understanding you demonstrate puts you on a par with turnips and other fresh market produce (except tomatoes, they are too bright).

Where did I say sit back and take the slapping?

Where did I comment on what is 'normal'? I'm happy to let you be the judge of that.

My point (well over your head obviously) is simply that provocation is not a defence. A lot of people get confused between retaliation and self-defence. If anyone here finds themselves in legal strife over this sort of incident, I'm sure you can PM Commander for some interesting anecdotes about normal behaviour. May not help much, of course.

Jeez mate what an over reaction.

You sound like the sort of guy that would throw a closed fist after being slapped.

PS : The Police involved obviously thought provocation was a mitigating element in this altercation and Slater was exonerated. Kinda flies in the face of what your "point" is.

manlyfan76 said:
globaleagle said:

I won my last fight by 300 meters, two corners and one fence.

Is that how far the person who was running away screaming with their hands waving manically in the air got? :p

Not at all Commander, it was a perfectly natural reaction to you calling my post a load of s**t. ;)

ps you are perfectly correct to say provocation is a mitigating factor, but you are still muddying the waters which was the reason for my post in the first place. Retaliation is not the same as self-defence, and I'd hate for anyone to find that out the hard way. Oh well que sera sera.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8