Bill Harrigan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagleE

Reserve Grader
I bumped into Bill Harrigan tonight and spoke about the football. He said a couple of the calls in the Tigers/Sharks game were controversial. He seemed content with the Manly refs but I did not push him too hard on it. I thought the Warriors got away with a few forward passes today and Mannering really holding down was not picked up at all.

There was a voluntary tackle in the sharks game that the tigers didnt get pinged for.
No not the fb when he went down injured.
Ryan

The only guy to make Barry Gommersall look like a half decent referee.

One of the best refs I have seen. I reckon he can be attributed for a lot of the refs letting the game flow and not blowing the pea out of the whistle, especially in SOO.

For Hairrigan to call those ref blunders in the Tigers match, 'controversial' is the call of a moron. They were blatant failures. It seems forever that referees are getting calls just wrong. I just don't understand why forward passes aren't called by the video ref who is looking at the game. Most of the ruck passes by the Warriors were forward in our game, and weren't called. Both the warriors and Storm players lay in the ruck for an age in their games and very few were penalized. For change to happen the boss needs to realize there's a problem, and the calls are not just 'controversial'.

Bill was a good ref but his biggest flaw, like most refs and rugby league administrators, is that he struggles to admit it when he makes a mistake.

Clint said:
One of the best refs I have seen. I reckon he can be attributed for a lot of the refs letting the game flow and not blowing the pea out of the whistle, especially in SOO.

When you only blow 4 penalties in a game there is less chance of being inconsitent.The game would be a scrappy mess it that was employed all year, however he did do a good job in origin

Regardless of his arrogance he did have respect among the players, something which is lacking in bucketloads these days

Is that the players, the ref or a lot of both. Who can say

Too many forward passes dont get called up these days and the commentators dont even bother to mention them anymore [probably to avoid sounding negative].I saw two forward passes from New Zealand yesterday that lead to tries and plenty of short passes around the ruck looked forward. Its up to the touch judges to keep their eyes on the play and call these passes to the refs.

eagles2win said:
There was a voluntary tackle in the sharks game that the tigers didnt get pinged for.
No not the fb when he went down injured.
Ryan
I was a bit surprised Nightingale was not pinged for diving back into the filed of play against the Knights.

I thought the voluntary tackle rule was scrapped??? Don't the referees just call play on if they are not touched by a defender?

I thought that too UP. The commentators thought it was a brilliant move. The rules are the rules, except for some teams it seems.

DSM5 said:
For Hairrigan to call those ref blunders in the Tigers match, 'controversial' is the call of a moron. They were blatant failures. It seems forever that referees are getting calls just wrong. I just don't understand why forward passes aren't called by the video ref who is looking at the game. Most of the ruck passes by the Warriors were forward in our game, and weren't called. Both the warriors and Storm players lay in the ruck for an age in their games and very few were penalized. For change to happen the boss needs to realize there's a problem, and the calls are not just 'controversial'.

He can hardly say anything more talking to a mate/random person on Sunday night to be fair.

MadMarcus said:
Bill was a good ref but his biggest flaw, like most refs and rugby league administrators, is that he struggles to admit it when he makes a mistake.

The trouble is that when you are actually out there reffing you can't admit mistakes - you call it as you see it and as soon as you allow doubt in you start listening to the players hassling you (and its not as if they are trying to call it fairly).

That does lead to being unable to admitt mistakes afterwards though - which is something you should do to help improve on your performance.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4