Big Tony v Terriyaki

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ryan link said:
I'd like to see him show any form of emotion (I'm ok with anger if that's what he wants). Just any expression that doesn't read - \"docile\".

I think the bloke has potential. I must be the only one who gets frustrated at his lumberring runs, and none emotional play.

No Ryan. You're not the only one who gets frustrated with him. The way he is now is the reason why I call him Eeyore.

Ryan link said:
Well guys, Ive copped a bit of criticism in this thread on my stance on Tony Williams. Lets see if the lump can show any sense of personality this weekend, and do something that stands out.

I'd like to see him touch the ball more than once in the 1st 30% of the game.

I'd like to see him actually jump higher than 1 inch if there is a bomb being contested.

I'd like to see him play the ball faster than 10 odd seconds.

I'd like to see him get the ball off a kick, and run the ball back with aggression and passion, and straight effing forward !

I'd like to see him show any form of emotion (I'm ok with anger if that's what he wants). Just any expression that doesn't read - \"docile\".

I think the bloke has potential. I must be the only one who gets frustrated at his lumberring runs, and none emotional play. The bloke scores a try, and can't even celebrate.

Maybe I can sit on his shoulders, and we can be \"Master Blaster\" out of Mad Max !

Yes I agree with most points but ill just put it in perspective

The jumping one, if you watch him jump he actuall gets good height on his jumps, but for T-Rex more about being in the right position to take the ball or conteest atleast it, which is more of a metal thing.

Also you can't complain about him not recieveing the footbal, hes a winger not a forward and often wingers can go through multiple sets of six without a touch.

But one main thing you said about him being one of the worst players going around i would have to disagree, in no way would i rather the skill of Neuman (aka Seinfield) in the squad or the great impact value of Deadwood or dare i say the great, the one and only J.Mullane whom we should name the hill after  :p

I'd be more than happy to be shown the error of my ways. Des seems to do that with players. This is why I'm gun shy these days to bag any players anymore. Des turns bums into bling.

Atm, Williams is a bum.

Sure Ryan there's a chorus of us who think Tony's got potential but needs to do more and do it consistently. How about that run and great offload to Foran in the early minutes of the Canberra game at Brookie?

Des obviously sees real potential and has faith in Tony to keep him there, and if he could show the same intensity and performance as in the Foran offload/run...well this sort of post would be a thing of the past.

C'mon Tony play like your hair is on fire!

And on the Terriyaki kid:

Marlins reject threat for Eagles
JASON AVEDISSIAN Manly Daily

A TONGAN international not good enough to play first grade rugby at the Marlins is the man the Sea Eagles must stop on Monday night as they continue their drive towards back-to-back NRL crowns.

Wests Tigers winger Taniela Tuiaki played lower grades at the Manly Marlins in 2004.

Frustrated with his inability to crack first grade, the Auckland-born Tongan tank joined North Curl Curl in the Manly-Warringah A Grade premiership that same year.

He was soon picked up by Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens while representing Tonga in the Pacific Nations Cup.

Statistics released by the NRL on Thursday reveal Tuiaki is the leading player in linebreaks with 20 clean busts.

The 27-year-old is also second to the Roosters Sam Perrett (101) with 100 tackle breaks.

Manly assistant coach Geoff Toovey said Tuiaki will be a threat on Monday night.

“He’s really come of age this season. He’s not just barging over but scoring a lot of smart tries as well,” Toovey said on Thursday.

“He reminds me a lot of (Warriors winger) Manu Vatuvei and he can run like the wind.

“He can make a heap of yards and when you send three or four defenders to bring him down it can take the sting out of your defence.

“He’s a key component to (the Tigers’) game.”

Marlins second grade coach from 2004, Al Crerar, said Tuiaki showed plenty of potential before injury prevented him from progressing in that code.

“He came over from New Zealand with a bit of a reputation,” Crerar recalled.

“He was a big, solid guy, looked a good player but unfortunately got injured.

“I’m sure he would have played first grade (with the Marlins) but the injuries didn’t help.

“He decided to go to league and it’s probably been a good choice.”

North Curl Curl official Kim Hunter said Tuiaki was dominant in the A-Grade premiership.

“He was outstanding at that level,” Hunter said.

“He was a powerful runner with good skills.

“You could see he had the potential to do well.”

I agree that Big Tony has potential but also that glimpses of it are few and far between. Still, if the game comes down to winger vs winger, we're in trouble. We should have the game well and truly won before Tuiaki even gets a touch.

Tony looked good scoring his two tries last Friday.  He was in position and although they were easy takes and putdowns, he was there to do it.  If he takes lots of notes from Choc then he'll only get better.  It was the same with D Williams last year.  I used to see Beaver talking to him as the game progressed about where to stand when to come in etc.  If Choc is doing this with Big T, then all good.  Terryaki is big and strong so we'll have to close him down that's for sure.  And no running out of the line. 

Ryan link said:
Well guys, Ive copped a bit of criticism in this thread on my stance on Tony Williams. Lets see if the lump can show any sense of personality this weekend, and do something that stands out.

I'd like to see him actually jump higher than 1 inch if there is a bomb being contested.

I'd like to see him get the ball off a kick, and run the ball back with aggression and passion, and straight effing forward !

I think the bloke has potential. I must be the only one who gets frustrated at his lumberring runs, and none emotional play. The bloke scores a try, and can't even celebrate.

Maybe I can sit on his shoulders, and we can be \"Master Blaster\" out of Mad Max !

The whole offseason might have been spent working on becoming a forward, suddenly, a few things come about and the young bloke is forced back to the wing.
Question 1 - Has he done that bad a job ?
Question 2 - Who are we going to replace him with ?

Ryan, worst ever ? Give the kid a break.

TokyoEagle link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=181202.msg234116#msg234116 date=1248904931]

The whole offseason might have been spent working on becoming a forward, suddenly, a few things come about and the young bloke is forced back to the wing.
Question 1 - Has he done that bad a job ?
Question 2 - Who are we going to replace him with ?

Ryan, worst ever ? Give the kid a break.

[/quote]

By my reckoning, he doesn't have a spot full strength in our team:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Ben Farrar
05. David Williams
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford
08. Josh Perry
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Heath Le'Strange / Chris Bailey
15. George Rose
16. Jason King
17. Glenn Hall / Adam Cuthbertson

20. Tony Williams

Question 1 - Has he done that bad a job ? Not to Manly standard
Question 2 - Who are we going to replace him with ? See above

Ryan link said:

Agree 100%.

Where did his nickname come from anyway? I thought a T-Rex Dinosaur was agressive.

bhot link said:
Where did his nickname come from anyway? I thought a T-Rex Dinosaur was agressive.

He's more like a donkey than a dinosaur.​

eeyore15.gif

Eeyore ! ! !​

I think you're all a bit cruel on the big tank.  All I ask of him is to stop Terrayaki on Monday night.  If he does that, then the kids OK.  Being slow stops him from rushing out of the line in any case.  I just pray that Stevie-boy doesn't do any of that.   

I don't mean to be cruel on the guy but the way he plays the game at the moment, he causes no threat to the opposition as he gives them a 2 second head start whenever he gets the ball before he even starts moving and the pace that he moves at when he does start moving, he just reminds me of Eeyore just plodding along the paddock with seemingly no urgency whatsoever.

I think that he needs to do a lot of sprint training to try and speed him up a bit.

A guy of his size when at full pace would be virtually unstoppable.

Jethro link said:

A guy of his size when at full pace would be virtually unstoppable.

Exactly. I just want him to hit the line hard sometimes, rather than dance around thinking too much about avoiding the tackle. I reckon he'll break a few tackles.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6