1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big call from Manly

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Kiwi Eagle, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Just found this extract from an article, will no doubt make us very, very unpopular at NRL headquarters

"THE NRL is furious at Manly and the New Zealand Warriors for refusing to support the NRL All-Stars match against the Indigenous Dream Team on the Gold Coast in February. The match is being played as part of a spectacular opening to the season and is already almost a sell-out at Skilled Park. Last week, Manly coach Des Hasler and Warriors coach Ivan Cleary decided their players would not be made available. "It's terribly disappointing," an NRL official told us. "Part of the profits are going to various charities and another $1.6 million was going to the clubs - $100,000 each. That's money Manly and the Warriors will now be missing out on."

I am very happy with the line we have taken on this personally, imo the match has turned into a circus, and although we may miss out on $100,000, better that than lose a player like Watmough in a nothing match

2. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    And while I think about it, it must also mean Rose can't line up for the Abbo side

3. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Totally agree.  The NRL did bugger all to support our club this year, why should we turn around and risk out investments to further the circus they've created to further the ambitions of Michael Searle?

4. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Des hHsler is making sense here.  Just a nothing game for bruises and breaks to occur.  Maybe he now sees the folly of chasing WCC honours, when really it's all about the premiership.  Anyway how come Preston Campbell gets into the team without having to front the voters?  It's really all about paying off Skilled Stadium. 

5. Zep

Zep Active Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I agree good call!

I wonder how much is really going to the charity if 1.6 mill is going to the clubs already?

6. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    I have no problems with this decision, We all know that the game will just be a glorified game of touch footy and no sting in the defence. Can only risk a season affecting injury by letting our guys play.

If they want to give a Koori side a run, then they should pick one to tour PNG at the end of the season when the Tri Nations is on.

7. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    It might make the Tri-Series interesting if Australia get split into a white fella, black fella side.  Not that the Australia A experiment in the 1994/5 World Series was much chop.

8. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    not much chop, but given the touring teams worth a try :)

9. blitzkrieg

blitzkrieg Active Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    How much money do they think is novelty will make!! Charities AND $100k to each club? If I remember rightly, when you win the minor premiership you only get $100k for that.

10. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    How much money do they think is novelty will make!! Charities AND $100k to each club? If I remember rightly, when you win the minor premiership you only get $100k for that.
    [/quote]
    It's a nice round figure. It's also how much you get fined for a boozy season launch.

We should have nominated Neumann & JWH as our contribution to the match.

11. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    Searle came out this year saying he wanted to channel $2M to indigenous charities and local communities from this game. Skilled holds 27,000 and with a take-out of $1.6M for the clubs then someone has a very good calculator in making this the money-spinner they claim.

12. blitzkrieg

blitzkrieg Active Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    You are right,MB        $3.6M / 27000 = $133.333333333333 per ticket!

13. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    You are right,MB        $3.6M / 27000 = $133.333333333333 per ticket!
    [/quote] On the upside there might be television and sponsorship rights.  On the downside, what about ground hire and similar costs.

14. Volley

Volley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +581 / 21
    Bit of pressure applied and they've folded. Weak.

15. blitzkrieg

blitzkrieg Active Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Seems that way, but let's wait and see who is "fit to play". Rose will play due to his wide appeal, but I'm hoping just fringe players for the Whiteys.

16. eggson

eggson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +239 / 2
    I was going to say before this 'turnabout' - i thought that Rose was really keen to play for the Indigenous side.  Maybe he pressured Des and the club, you can't say no to big George!

17. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    For the record here are the players who you can vote for. Some forwards there but not a lot in the backs

Ballin, Matt
    Galuvao, Joe
    King, Jason
    Lussick, Darcy
    Mauro, Vic
    Perry, Josh
    Rodney, Shane
    Seu Seu, Terrence
    Stewart, Glenn
    Watmough, Anthony
    Bailey, Chris
    Foran, Kieran