Big Bash v NRL ( entertainment value),

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
By the way bbl is a great comp and makes nrl look like a joke, I love rugby league but not what it has eventuated into we get what 9000 a game at nrl games where as bbl get 40 thousand peeps watching 2crap teams play?! It's sad the nrl isn't a comp it's starting to turn into a business like the nfl, the main focus is becoming contracts, roosters and broncos not games

No problem with it's popularity but let's not get too carried away with a short term boom to the detriment of traditional tests which is the platform that made everything else possible.

Hey if people want T-20 alone so be it, that is the way it is heading.

Competitive test games also get big crowds, we just need to get the right balance as too much of a good thing will kill itself eventually as it becomes the norm and not the exception.

Just remember 50 over cricket was once the rage and it eventually killed itself, what next 15 over 10 over versions just to suit the short attention spans of the next generation.
No one goes to watch test cricket anymore because it's not exciting who wants to go watch player block a ball all day!

Said it before, NRL teams should also have a look at the Swans game day experience. It's streets ahead and the game is still the thing.

20's in cricket is like 9's in footy.

I like watching the 9's but it's the Comp I worry about.

I watch the 20's but couldn't give a rats or even remember who wins.

The 20's are cashing in on summer and school holidays plus sooooo much publicity on attending matches. Kids hear about it and want to go coz their friends are.

When the NRL get their act together in promoting games, it usually pays off too...and that is in the harder seasons of Autumn and winter.

Apples and Oranges.

20 20 is the McDonald's version of real cricket. Looks great, packaged for the masses, convenient and easy to consume. Not real food though!
I enjoy it for what it is.

Test cricket is real cricket. You don't have to have wickets and boundaries every over for cricket to be entertaining. I enjoy the battle of attrition and players having to work hard and really have a dig.
I totally get why some hate it. It is slow and action is spaced out over a long time.
But that suits me.
People attention spans are getting smaller and smaller so fair enough!

May as well make the Bathurst 1000 only 5 laps while we're at it. Why wait 6 hours for a result when it can be decided in 11 mins with 5 laps of crazy driving and carnage.

20 20 is the McDonald's version of real cricket. Looks great, packaged for the masses, convenient and easy to consume. Not real food though!
I enjoy it for what it is.

Test cricket is real cricket. You don't have to have wickets and boundaries every over for cricket to be entertaining. I enjoy the battle of attrition and players having to work hard and really have a dig.
I totally get why some hate it. It is slow and action is spaced out over a long time.
But that suits me.
People attention spans are getting smaller and smaller so fair enough!

May as well make the Bathurst 1000 only 5 laps while we're at it. Why wait 6 hours for a result when it can be decided in 11 mins with 5 laps of crazy driving and carnage.
If test cricket is real cricket than why does everyone go to watch the t20s and odis? T20 and odi you need more skill than test cricket hell I could go play test cricket it's easy block the ball for 5balls every over simple t20 cricket and odi cricket is where real skills are needed

The Big Bash is the most boring cricket around. One match is the same as the another. My wife doesn't mind the test cricket but thinks the Big Bash is nothing more than hit and giggle. It is awful and only exists to appeal to those with ADHD amongst us...

Have you been to a game yet??

If not go , and then comment !!

If test cricket is real cricket than why does everyone go to watch the t20s and odis? T20 and odi you need more skill than test cricket hell I could go play test cricket it's easy block the ball for 5balls every over simple t20 cricket and odi cricket is where real skills are needed

It's not even worth discussing it with you. I never bagged the skill of t20 or odi. I watch both. You obviously hate test cricket and judging by the "hell I could go play test cricket" comment, you're deluded.

All I'll say is this and then I can't be arsed with it. If it's based on crowd numbers then if 150,000 people turn up to the Auckland 9's then that must be real Rugby League I guess.

And I would pay to watch you face an over in test cricket.

Last edited:
I am off to my first one tomorrow

To be fair, from a marketing proposition, you are talking about two vastly different propositions, Just off the top of my head big bash has the following advantages
1. Summer comp...when most children are on holidays
2. Short season....the comp is over in what 4 weeks? the non stop nature of the games allows a "reset" even if a team is performing poorly
3. Mainly 1 team per town

I am off to my first one tomorrow

To be fair, from a marketing proposition, you are talking about two vastly different propositions, Just off the top of my head big bash has the following advantages
1. Summer comp...when most children are on holidays
2. Short season....the comp is over in what 4 weeks? the non stop nature of the games allows a "reset" even if a team is performing poorly
3. Mainly 1 team per town
4. Game is over in a few hours. That's a big difference too

It's not even worth discussing it with you. I never bagged the skill of t20 or odi. I watch both. You obviously hate test cricket and judging by the "hell I could go play test cricket" comment, you're deluded.

All I'll say is this and then I can't be arsed with it. If it's based on crowd numbers then if 150,000 people turn up to the Auckland 9's then that must be real Rugby League I guess.

And I would pay to watch you face an over in test cricket.
Scored a first grade 200 I think I'd go alright

As much as I love cricket and enjoy watching the BBL (the Adelaide Strikers being on top right now is a bonus ;) )....my preferred summer sport is speedway :D

Scored a first grade 200 I think I'd go alright
As a player of 1st grade myself (nearly 2 decades ago.... Ouch) i congratulate you on that. A fine effort.
Gotta say I'm very surprised, you being a seasoned cricketer and all, that you don't appreciate the longer form of the game.
Worries me for the future of Aussie cricket if our next batch of young talented batsmen aren't keen on test cricket!
Is this a common feeling amongst team mates? Do most just want to be just T20 heroes or is the baggy green still seen as the pinnacle achievement?

As a player of 1st grade myself (nearly 2 decades ago.... Ouch) i congratulate you on that. A fine effort.
Gotta say I'm very surprised, you being a seasoned cricketer and all, that you don't appreciate the longer form of the game.
Worries me for the future of Aussie cricket if our next batch of young talented batsmen aren't keen on test cricket!
Is this a common feeling amongst team mates? Do most just want to be just T20 heroes or is the baggy green still seen as the pinnacle achievement?
I actually scored that 200 in a 4 day match. I love test cricket don't get me wrong I ve played most of my cricket as 4 day matches. But I honestly see world cups as the pinnacle of cricket imo same with most of my mates World Cup is my dream if I was going peruse a cricketing career and the ipl. Test cricket is almost dead in the world and I'm missing the days of watching england, windies, india South Africa come and play cricket against us competivetly but it's a flogging and I enjoy a good game not a quick 3 day test. Players like maxwell, Warner and smith are my idols they play the way they want, they have changed the game of test cricket. The main thing is teams in tests attempting to win or draw, never trying to win a test when it's practically impossible is what I miss the competition die wondering!!! A couple of months ago saf tried to draw a match when it's was only 3 days in because they thought they couldn't win that really put me off tests seeing a player 9 off 212 balls isn't appealing to me or fans. Just quietly I know a mate who scored 21 off 20 overs opening in a t20 match he is made for test haha

I actually scored that 200 in a 4 day match. I love test cricket don't get me wrong I ve played most of my cricket as 4 day matches. But I honestly see world cups as the pinnacle of cricket imo same with most of my mates World Cup is my dream if I was going peruse a cricketing career and the ipl. Test cricket is almost dead in the world and I'm missing the days of watching england, windies, india South Africa come and play cricket against us competivetly but it's a flogging and I enjoy a good game not a quick 3 day test. Players like maxwell, Warner and smith are my idols they play the way they want, they have changed the game of test cricket. The main thing is teams in tests attempting to win or draw, never trying to win a test when it's practically impossible is what I miss the competition die wondering!!! A couple of months ago saf tried to draw a match when it's was only 3 days in because they thought they couldn't win that really put me off tests seeing a player 9 off 212 balls isn't appealing to me or fans. Just quietly I know a mate who scored 21 off 20 overs opening in a t20 match he is made for test haha
Well that explains our difference of opinion. My rosey view of test cricket is based on growing up watching the great teams (from here and from around the world) of the 80's and 90's. Then a strong early 2000's
Like you said, the last 5 years has been pretty forgettable. Looking at the current state of the game I totally understand the contempt.
I still remember the good old days and think this is a down turn and hope it will get back to normal. Wishful thinking I'd say.

I actually scored that 200 in a 4 day match. I love test cricket don't get me wrong I ve played most of my cricket as 4 day matches
You sound like quite a cricket talent. Out of curiosity, which comps were you in that play mostly 4 day matches?

Love my BBL now that my thunder is finally going ok.But seriously wouldn't rate it over the nrl.Besides ones a summer sport the others a winter only good thing about bbl is more beers baby.

You sound like quite a cricket talent. Out of curiosity, which comps were you in that play mostly 4 day matches?
Sorry mate, I ment to say 2 day cricket, it's a comp at Wagga Wagga in nsw there some good kids in that comp what out for names like jack Harper, max harper and Blake Harper great future. Jack is an excellent all rounder already went to england, Blake is a great batsman in 50 over cricket he is only 14 and has already scored 3 centuries and max is a very quick bowler around 130kmph.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4