better than Foran?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Dylan Walker is not even an NRL 5/8 yet, but is it possible he will end up a better player than the man he replaces? There are some similarities, in that both established themselves in first grade at a very young age and have won premierships and represented.

Foran has more feathers in his cap so far, but on the other hand Walker is a few years younger, and has more explosive speed than Foran, so just how good can he become now that he is in a great sporting environment at Manly?

Still developing no doubt, the past couple of years he's been used at centre and wouldn't have done much kicking, but he reckons he played a lot at 5/8 in juniors.

I can't see any reason he won't be a similar style of 5/8 to Anthony Milford, who switched to 5/8 for Brisbane this year and ended up a big reason why they almost won the comp.

Different style of players.
I don't think he will be a better 5/8 then an inform Foran.
I see him as more of a stop gap till we get a real 5/8 and a centre position opens up.

The reason it can work, is DCE has a license to roam both sides of the field allowing Walker to play his trump card - that super running game.
The fact Manly will play a far different game in 2016 compared to recent years with 1 half controlling either side of the ruck, maybe we will also find Walker floating both sides also, asking the defence questions all day & taking pressure off Walkers passing game.
In the modern game where 2nd phase play & line breaks from freakish runners rule, Walker will be far more dangerous in attack, but love or hate him, Foran is up with Wally Lewis as the best defensive 5/8 to play the game.
Happy with the trade & also feel Foran effected the teams enthusiasm in a negative way last year, every bit as his positive influence in previous seasons.

The reason it can work, is DCE has a license to roam both sides of the field allowing Walker to play his trump card - that super running game.
The fact Manly will play a far different game in 2016 compared to recent years with 1 half controlling either side of the ruck, maybe we will also find Walker floating both sides also, asking the defence questions all day & taking pressure off Walkers passing game.
In the modern game where 2nd phase play & line breaks from freakish runners rule, Walker will be far more dangerous in attack, but love or hate him, Foran is up with Wally Lewis as the best defensive 5/8 to play the game.
Happy with the trade & also feel Foran effected the teams enthusiasm in a negative way last year, every bit as his positive influence in previous seasons.
100% correct. Although you're comparing the same position the style of play will be completely different.

One of DCE's great strengths is his acceleration. This allows him to spot a gap and explode through it. Now imagine that bit with Snake and Walker chasing, instead of Lyon and Matai struggling to keep up.

With a more dominant pack and faster hookers, you need fast halves to exploit that momentum further. Foran is a 5/8 in the old lock/5/8 mould. And he's busted. He was busted with a great 7 carrying a lot of the burden. How will he hold up being the one to do all the heavy lifting?

Create offloads & 2nd phase, maybe a few kicks, and the thought of speed men like Walker, Parcell & Snake running up the middle is absolutely delicious.

"Foran is up with Wally Lewis as the best defensive 5/8 to play the game."

Funny, I read some posters on league unlimited saying he was somewhat of an 'arm grabber ' tackler, hence was easily fended at times...
images-2.jpeg
downloadfile.jpeg

100% correct. Although you're comparing the same position the style of play will be completely different.

One of DCE's great strengths is his acceleration. This allows him to spot a gap and explode through it. Now imagine that bit with Snake and Walker chasing, instead of Lyon and Matai struggling to keep up.

With a more dominant pack and faster hookers, you need fast halves to exploit that momentum further. Foran is a 5/8 in the old lock/5/8 mould. And he's busted. He was busted with a great 7 carrying a lot of the burden. How will he hold up being the one to do all the heavy lifting?
I have never see Jamie Lyon struggle to keep up with anyone................

As
"Foran is up with Wally Lewis as the best defensive 5/8 to play the game."

Funny, I read some posters on league unlimited saying he was somewhat of an 'arm grabber ' tackler, hence was easily fended at times...View attachment 2825View attachment 2826
also stated, his attitude went South as did his commitment resulting in this grabbing you seem to find humorous.
Rewind to his defence from 3-4 years ago & he was smashing opposition forwards & in some cases, changing the momentum of a game...you may not have seen this, only Manly supporters would have watched those games.

Wait until the end of 2016 and we should have a fair idea. It's hard to compare the 2 at the moment when walker is untried in the manly colours. It's what manly do , they seem to make good footballers great footballers . Walker may be a very good player but he has to prove his worth and I'm sure he probably will . Time will tell.

I suspect Foran will end up as a lock forward, and a very good one. He's tough and a go forward type of player who puts the opposition somewhat on the backfoot. He is also a good defender.

Walker to me is more of a runner, evader type, not as good in defense and at this stage not as good in setting up play though that will come. His skill is his speed, evasiveness and broken field play. Thing is he is only 21 and he could be anything.

But like with young Wright, its early days and we shouldnt expect championship stuff this early. I suspect this coming year will be a major learning curve and he will switch with both DCE and Lyon on a regular basis until he matures into a role...which I suspect will be centre.

As
also stated, his attitude went South as did his commitment resulting in this grabbing you seem to find humorous.
Rewind to his defence from 3-4 years ago & he was smashing opposition forwards & in some cases, changing the momentum of a game...you may not have seen this, only Manly supporters would have watched those games.
You are right, my comments were written in haste. He sure was a defensive force when he bled maroon and white.
As you said, when his attitude went south, so did his efforts, and hence his defense at times.
I guess I didn't want to elaborate on his whole efforts at Manly, due to my current perception of him. Yes still a little pee'd off with him.
Apologies for coming across ignorant.

Last edited:
You are right, my comments were written in haste. He sure was a defensive force when he bled maroon and white.
As you said, when his attitude went south, so did his efforts, and hence his defense at times.
I guess I didn't want to elaborate on his whole efforts at Manly, due to my current perception of him.
Fair enough call.....
I certainly share your sentiments mate.
Its certainly better in 1 major factor, it appears the players are a in a positive & excited place which will be good to see....this went missing in recent times & as a supposed leader, Foran had an adverse on teammates.....

they are contrasting players. Foran for his good defense, short passing, short kicking and running game against Walker who is gifted with blinding speed and evasion.

The Foran of 2010 to 2013 was a massive asset to our side, the Foran of 2014 and 15 was a liability in a lot of ways.

I look forward to seeing a number 6 who is totally committed to our cause.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4